It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:36 am

Should I come back to the Stick camp or not? 

Post Should I come back to the Stick camp or not?
This is my first post here so let me introduce myself.

I have played guitar and bass (also professionally) for all my life. Also played Chapman Stick very intensely for 6 years. Have played Stick in 5 bands. Mostly progressive rock and fusion. But finally gave up on the Chapman Stick and sold it about ten years ago because I was too occupied with my other instruments. Also was a bit disappointed in how the Stick come through in a rock band. Always thought I didn't cut through sound wise like a real bass or guitar does. Also was bored with the progressive rock thing and the Chapman Stick was (and still is for a large part to many people I guess) associated by that music mostly.

Never looked back and went on with my other musical pursuits. Until a few weeks ago when I went a concert of Stickmen. The Stick bug bite me again! But I am very much in doubt what to do now. Go back and play Stick again? Also thought about buying a U8 Touch guitar because that is more close to the sound and playing techniques of my bass and guitar. Really like the sound of the Warr guitar and think it will have more punch in a band than a Stick but I don't like the looks of the Warr guitar. Also thought about the the NS Stick but I don't like the sound of the NS Stick very much. The U8 seems to be a good option. I know it's a total different instrument but since I mostly like the more linear players like Tony Levin, Trey Gunn, Nick Beggs and Michael Bernier and not so much the more piano style song arrangement type Stick players (with all respect of course!) the thought of a U8 isn't so strange I guess. But I also didn't give up my thoughts on the Stick. Also not sure if I want to go on this tapping route again because spending time on this will go at the expense of my guitar and bass playing. There is only a limited amount of time in a lifetime. As you can read I am very much in doubt right now and I am hoping to find some new insights here.

So feel welcome to post anything you think is helpful for me. Sorry for my long first post!

Last edited by Ravi on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:09 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Should I come back to the Stick camp or not?
There are many more sonic options than when you were playing before. The PASV-4 for wooden and bamboo instruments and the new Railboard both have a fantastic sound. If you are interested in a "more linear" approach, You should also consider the SB8 (Stick Bass).

Welcome back to Stick land...

Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Ravi wrote:
Also thought about buying a U8 Touch guitar because that is more close to the sound and playing techniques of my bass and guitar. Really like the sound of the Warr guitar and think it will have more punch in a band than a Stick but I don't like the looks of the Warr guitar. Also thought about the the NS Stick but I don't like the sound of the NS Stick very much. The U8 seems to be a good option.
Ha, ha... those were exactly my thoughts four years ago! I finally decided to go with the Stick because it is less guitar-like and I thought I had already done the guitar so much (for periods professionally, like you; "hired gun" studio guitarist and tour project musician) and now I wanted to expand into something different. My dream for the STick was to be able to play more orchestrated as a solo instrument as well as improvising freely. I'd say it is your decision; if you wish to do more traditional guitar/bass sounding work I can see the logic in the U8. Just don't make the mistake of taking the Stick for a guitar, it is quite different (in an awesome way, if you ask me).

Quote:
Ravi, I feel honoured to chime in on your first post! Welcome to one of the most friendly and supportive communities of the internet! I'v learned so much here.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

If you want impartial advice, you come to the wrong place. This is Stick-fan central. We are pretty much full-on Stick fanatics here ( me too ). I hardly ever play my guitar and bass anymore now that I have a Stick...um...two Sticks.

So, unsurprisingly, my recommendation is to go all- in on a new Stick....or two.

Marty

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:18 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

The musical instrument is strictly that: an "instrument" for artistic expression. If you know how you want to sound, and how your mind handles different media (instrument structures) then it is a somewhat simple match. As Greg says, the Stick can sound very differently today than in the past due to many more options. Still, you know how a U8 sounds and how a Warr guitar sounds. If you are limited to a lighter weight instrument, the Warr is not for you. If you feel like an angled neck that can play as a guitar is the right choice, so be it.

I came from bass and piano to the Stick. I had tried guitar before and found the hand shapes and the strings themselves uncomfortable. When I tried the Stick, it felt comfortable and understandable. My journey of learning and playing is not as far along as I would like, but I think it is the right path.

Hopefully this helps.

-Daniel

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:26 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

welcome Ravi! my two cents (uh-oh)...after being a professional bass player, and having a Stick and never giving it a "fair chance", i SOLD my precious Pedulla custom 5-string Pentabuzz (high C) for a rig and became "Marty Stick" (as my friends call me). no matter what instrument i play, i sound like me. (NOT Tony Levin, NOT John Wetton, NOT Chris Squire, NOT Buster Williams,...you get the picture). musicians want to play with ME. 'cause i sound like ME. warts and all. still tryin to get that SOUND. where is it? it's in the fingers. im still learnin. im 56 years old. figure i got 20 or 30 more years to get it right. (yeah, guys. im on a tear.) BUT IM HAVING FUN. BECAUSE I PLAY THE COOLEST INSTRUMENT IN THE WORLD. (Thank you, Emmett)

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Ravi,

I had some similar concerns about my Stick years ago, but I must say I disagree about the Stick's ability to cut through. It's sound was its strong point as far as I'm concerned. I departed for other reasons, and became a Warr Guitarist. I would recommend checking out the Warr before you go the U8 route. My opinion, of course. A really monstrous, wicked sound, and really versatile.

Also, I don't actually hear tons of progressive stuff coming out of the Chapman Stick; at least not in the traditional sense of the word. I hear more classical, jazz and folk these days than prog stuff. Levin does great things with his Stick, and is a master at manipulating its sound. So, if you like the look of the Stick, let me tell you, getting a good sound that will cut through can be achieved. You can cut through with almost any instrument. It's all in the processing, from amp to speakers to effects.

If looks are where it's at for you, I'd go with what you like to look at, with the thought that most of the major tapping instruments are really fine and have upsides and downsides. However, they can all be manipulated and made to sound GREAT.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:04 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Greetings… I have played the U-8, Trey Gunn Warr and the Stick, and they are all different tools… I will say that the U8 is a really well crafted instrument, however it did not have the "bottom end" that I like (Bass player, here). There are a lot of tonal possibilities with the Warr for sure, however it is a big instrument…. The Stick is for me, a wonderful instrument that provides endless joy and music and sonic explorations…. The Bottom End is PHAT! It has a unique sound and as Greg stated there are wonderful choices in P/Up modules now as well. I do not think you will be disappointed should you order or buy another Stick.And the community here is incredible! Go for it!

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:18 pm

Thanks for the very warm welcome and great responses guys! I have read them all and will digest everything. I will pick out a few.

greg wrote:
There are many more sonic options than when you were playing before. The PASV-4 for wooden and bamboo instruments and the new Railboard both have a fantastic sound. If you are interested in a "more linear" approach, You should also consider the SB8 (Stick Bass).

Welcome back to Stick land...

I am not back yet Greg! :D
I have watched your pickup video and I prefer the sound of the stickup. That is the Stick sound that drew me to the Stick many years ago. But I also really like the mono/stereo option of the other pickups. As for the Stick bass: it doesn't appeal to me that much. If I would go for the Stick it would be a Grand Stick. Also the Railboard Stick doesn't appeal to me physically as much as a wooden Stick.

Marty6126 wrote:
I hardly ever play my guitar and bass anymore now that I have a Stick...um...two Sticks.

That is what I am afraid of. I am a guitar and bass teacher and do this for a living so I can't part with my other instruments. Stick playing consumes much time and that time goes to the expense of playing my other instruments which I also love. That's one of the main reasons I gave up on my Stick 10 years ago. Don't want to do everything half. As I said before there is only a limited amount of time in a lifetime.

Last edited by Ravi on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:15 am

rclere wrote:
Greetings… I have played the U-8, Trey Gunn Warr and the Stick, and they are all different tools… I will say that the U8 is a really well crafted instrument, however it did not have the "bottom end" that I like (Bass player, here). There are a lot of tonal possibilities with the Warr for sure, however it is a big instrument….

Very good to talk to someone who owned all these! As I said in my OP a Warr doesn't appeal to me. I really like it's sound. It sounds more like a real bass and guitar to me. Very fat sound which I like. But it is too big and I don't see myself on stage with it because of the looks. Is the low end of the U-8 really that weak? weaker than a Stick? That's an important factor for me. What I like about the U-8 is the fact that you can also hold it like a regular guitar. So I can also transform my guitar and bass techniques to the instrument.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:25 am