It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 10:31 pm

Scalloped 

Post Scalloped
Curious if anyone ever had a scalloped stick made. I remember seeing a homemade job on ebay several years ago but never one straight from SE. Stick has got a lot of mass on it but not sure how a good scallop would affect structural integrity.

Owned several scalloped guitars over the years and enjoyed them. I remember when i scalloped my first guitar neck LOL. I wanted a nice deep scallop where i could just crank on the strings. Well, several hours and a ton of wood shaving later I was starting at the truss rod from the wrong side LMAO. Suffice to say my next few were much smoother and easier. I loved that little guitar too lol.

Josh

Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:06 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Scalloped
Hi Josh,

Emmett's Fret Rods(TM) and now Fret Rails(TM) precision tapping frets actually clear the board by a greater height than conventional jumbo guitar or bass frets, so your fingertips don't really come into contact with the wood (or bamboo, etc) that much when playing.

The sensation is particularly nice when you get up to the higher frets with the Rails, where you can really feel the space between the frets much better than with conventional frets.

By redesigning the frets to make tapping easier and more precise, Emmett has taken yet another step towards optimization of the method.

So I guess I'm thinking that maybe scalloping really isn't necessary with the current fret design.

Just curious what are you hoping to achieve by scalloping?

wise2178 wrote:
Curious if anyone ever had a scalloped stick made. I remember seeing a homemade job on ebay several years ago but never one straight from SE. Stick has got a lot of mass on it but not sure how a good scallop would affect structural integrity.

Owned several scalloped guitars over the years and enjoyed them. I remember when i scalloped my first guitar neck LOL. I wanted a nice deep scallop where i could just crank on the strings. Well, several hours and a ton of wood shaving later I was starting at the truss rod from the wrong side LMAO. Suffice to say my next few were much smoother and easier. I loved that little guitar too lol.

Josh

Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Wasn't hoping to accomplish anything. Was merely curious if anyone ever saw one or had one made.

Josh

Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:26 pm

Hi Josh,

regarding your question if anyone has ever seen scalloped stick:
I see (and play) one almost every day.

I bought my grand (1357) third hand and it has a scalloped fretboard. While calling SE a while back I asked if the scalloping was made by them, but they said no (If my memory is right, they said that they never did scalloping on a stick?!).
I then contacted the first owner of my grand via email to ask him if he has done it by himself, but he said that there was no scalloping at the time he was the owner. So I suppose that the guy I purchased my stick from was the cause?!

The scalloping seems to be made rather professionally, but I have to approve Greg’s statement: I don’t see any positive effect off the scalloping. I’d rather prefer my stick “unscalloped”, but it doesn’t bother me that much.

Regards hoerli

Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:06 am