10-string 22%  22%  [ 27 ]
12-string 15%  15%  [ 18 ]
Alto 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 124

what tuning do you use? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: what tuning do you use?
Inquiet, I'm only considering my own possible tuning options so don't take my word as gospel, but it doesn't look like anything is designed to make the Stick keyboard-like except maybe fourths tuning on the bass side for more scalar runs without moving the hand up and down in any given direction if you go for four notes per string. Even then, if you just go for three bass notes per string the hand would have to move in a single direction for a scale so maybe the 5ths could be perceived as more like a keyboard. I've already tuned my bass in 5ths and I'm not sure.

For the 4ths tuning there is only 7 half step difference between all the main 10 string tunings, and a 14 half step difference if you count Dual Bass Reciprocal. So mostly players are considering choices within a 5th of the same range on the melody side is all that's considered. [edit: Or they bump it down from Classic (the highest tuning) by a 9th for Dual Bass Reciprocal]

If it is the relationship between sides, that gets to be much more of a guitar-like thought process. Baritone melody and Classic melody allows either or both of the two low bass strings to be held with an index finger and the middle finger can go onto the melody side just one fret down for a double-stop two note power chord about an octave up. For that string relationship it's what I might pick.

Then there's the consideration of how you want to play if tapping outer strings with the right hand thumb. The high bass E string is a 3rd or a 6th from the two high Matched Reciprocal strings, and not too far off from that range for the BM/Classic's F# and B strings to simulate guitar fingertapping.

I'm sure others have favorite aspects about their tuning's string relationships as well.

Then if you're thinking about classic tuning, maybe that high D is a bit stiff with a .009 or .010 gauge string. That's like tuning an electric guitar's high E string up to G so you could feel the tension on a guitar as comparison to see if you like it before you buy. Ask the guitar's high E gauge before you test though!

I probably have overthought tunings but my guess is that I'll end up getting Baritone Melody on a ten string. I also like the range because A5 is as high as I almost ever use on the guitar.

But I quibble a lot too. I could always bend up to A5 from Deep Baritone Melody's high G string if I found other useful string relationships I'd use (which I probably will if I look at a diagram of the tuning). So...many...choices...

I don't know if this helps at all but at least it shows what you might consider about tunings.

Last edited by NewbieWanKenobi on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:24 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I use nothing right now but within a month I will hopefully use Matched Reciprocal 6+6. This tuning seems best for the way I intend to play when my (first) Stick arrives. I may sometimes use right hands thumb to add high strings on the bass side and as I'm imagining the fretboard it seems MR is good for that. Another reason for choosing MR is that I heard string gauges are matched, MR using a little thicker strings on the melody side compared to Classic tuning, and this is said to give a little fuller sound. Also, I guess a general playing position with hands a bit more apart feels better in the long run, ergonomically. I already play many kind of guitars, so I would prefer the Stick to be more "sticky" than relying on guitar fingering techniques. Being a total beginner I'm probably wrong on some of these points ;-)

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Per,

The hands' position relationships to each other is more important on the 10-string version of MR, I think. Once you move to a Grand Stick, the extra range provided by the additional low bass string changes the whole equation (also Baritone Melody 10-string), especially if you are willing to give up the idea of scale positions and Free your Hands to move around the board at will.

I used to have an MR Grand, but having the extra range on the Classic tuning is pretty nice.

In any case, Emmett's hardware, especially the adjustable nut (Flaps), makes it pretty easy to try different tunings and gauges compared with a fixed nut, or especially a zero fret, which he stopped using in 1982.

Because tapping works best at such low action, a zero fret just doesn't provide any subtlety in setting the amount of "play" at the nut. The Flaps are amazing, since you don't have to take the string off to set the nut.

Having a really playable first fret, and the 36" scale, makes the amount of room for your hands on the Stick much greater than it would otherwise be.

Go nuts!

Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
Hi Per,Go nuts!
Thank you for the informative post, Greg. I can't wait to start fiddling around the fretboard! Stick will be the fifth instrument I'm taking up and I already know music theory. Whatever instrument I play I'm "seeing" the notes, intervals and harmonic relationships and this imagination "looks" the same for all instrument. So I guess I will just start with memorizing all note positions on the grand and then I'll try to play something. Slowly to begin with until proper reflexes are grounded ;-)

One thing that feels exciting with the Stick is the option to overdub unison notes by strings that give the same note different timbre. Not many other instruments offer this.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

As it says below...10 String, DBR, Medium 1-5 and Heavy 6-10..."Oh yea"!
|
|
|
|
|
V

Shedua, #2080, 10-String, Dual Bass Reciprocal, (medium guage 1-5, heavy guage 6-10), PAS-V 4, Silver and Black tuners, Paua inlays.

Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:42 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

The Stick I just bought came in Baritone Melody tuning - Scott (the former owner) said his hands were colliding on classic tuning so with some lessons and tuning change/setup from Greg he was much happier with it in BM. I'm too new to know the difference but I like what I've read! :)

Hmm I should add a signature now...

#6054 Bamboo SG12, ACTV-2, mirrored 4ths piano
#5518 Rosewood 10 String Grand, PASV4, MR

Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:39 pm

Hi, I started of with deep baritone. I like the low melodystrings. After half a year I changed to baritone melody. It's only one note higher but it's a big change. I feel as if there's more room between my hands as I play the same notes one string down (up?) and use string #5 a lot more.

best wishes!
Victor Vos (10 grand, baritone)

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:57 am
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think this has an official name, but my Stick is now tuned to:

1) G
2) D
3) A
4) E
5) B

6) G
7) D
8) A
9) E
10) B

It's Deep Baritone Melody, and the equivalent of the highest 5 bass strings on a 12 string (standard bass tuning).

Matched Reciprocal Deep Baritone Melody?
DBM / MR Bass?
Any Ideas?

I came up with this tuning over the weekend, as something to try out. I had ordered a set of DBM strings last week, and while I was waiting decided to take off the low C bass string and shift the rest down, and add a high B. That sounded good with the MR melody side, as I was able to get some higher voiced chords on the bass side without moving too far up the neck.

Another factor that went into it, is that I wanted to be able to play through my guitar amp without accidentally hitting the lowest bass string and blowing my speaker, and because I've been asked to jam with some guys for a potential band gig, where I'd be the only harmonic instrument.

Then today, my DBM strings arrived, hence this "new" tuning. It isn't really new, though, since it's the equivalent of MR 12 string tuning minus strings 7 and 1, and condensed on to a 10 string.

The only problem now, is that I miss the missing strings. The only answer is to upgrade to a full 12 strings. Easier said than done...

#5484 Padauk 12 String Grand Stick, PASV-4 MR
#5727 Osage Orange 10 String Stick, PASV-4 MR

- Ted

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Obie, I have an Iromwood Stick tuned 1/2 bari (think of octaves in the center of the neck) It's halfstep lower than bari, halfstep higher than Deep. No oddnes, just like my DBR Dk. bamboo PAS4 melody MIDI blk inlays blk tuners. Everthing cycles in 4ths/5ths. I'm thinkinking of dropping both a half step. I like floppy strings. The DBR I find to be almost harplike, and to all you who think you're missing out on the high notes, it's only an octave difference. But that's allright with me, my friends like where I am-in the BassMent. And the last octave or so w/ the pickup switched gives it the sound of a mandolin-that doubling effect. You DBR players out there KNOW we rule the World.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery