It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

Adjustment from Alto to Railboard 

Post Adjustment from Alto to Railboard
So I just recieved my blue awesome Railboard this week. Yay for me.
What a amazingly beautiful instrument.
I had it delivered to my work and so i had to show it off, all i say was opened mouths asking" what the heck is that and how the heck do you play that guitar"

I have been playing an rosewood Alto for 1 1/2 yrs now and man is the railboard a different animal.
So the first thing is the frets of course are alot more spread out for my small hands on the bass side, especially from the nut to fret 5. After that it really isnt an issue. But I really dont play much past fret 5.
I guess i need to stretch out my fingers more somehow without breaking them lol
I find i have to drop my right elbow alot more to get the right angle for the chords.
The other thing is I think i need to highlight the frets with some violin tape as i am having a bit of an issue seeing properly where to put my fingers.
Muscle memory from the alto to the railboard I think may take some time as well.But i am sure enjoying the deep bass of baritone tuning. WOWZEERS.

The sound is quite different as well. Even on clean the difference is notable from the alto.
The Alto is alot more crisp and sharp to my ears.
And i lose the highest string from my alto so the songs i know I have to adjust the fingerings a bit to play them again so my hands dont run into each other. But working in that is fun as well.
Inthink i will start again and go through Gregs DVD again just to get a handle on it better.

But overall I am stoked about this, i was going to sell the alto to fund the railboard but i may keep it now just because i am so attached to it now.

I guess thats why stick players have more than one, it is haed to part with them.
Especially since you rarely see altos for sale it seems.

Hope to post something here in a bit.

Cheers

Rosewood Alto #5764

Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery