It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:17 am

Eyes Wide Shut 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Eyes Wide Shut
How awesome is it to play with eyes closed when you're trying to get both hands going together!!!!!

You get your right hand down. Check.

You get your left hand down. Check.

You try to get them going together. Bleh.

Slow it down and close your eyes.

I started doing this and I realized that by closing my eyes, I CAN SEE BOTH OF MY HANDS PLAYING AT THE SAME TIME!!!

IT'S LIKE MAGIC!!!

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫
Tarara 10-String #6300 DBR
Black Railboard #6594 BM

Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:47 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Eyes Wide Shut
h3dg3h0g wrote:
How awesome is it to play with eyes closed when you're trying to get both hands going together!!!!!

You get your right hand down. Check.

You get your left hand down. Check.

You try to get them going together. Bleh.

Slow it down and close your eyes.

I started doing this and I realized that by closing my eyes, I CAN SEE BOTH OF MY HANDS PLAYING AT THE SAME TIME!!!

IT'S LIKE MAGIC!!!
I perform much of the time with my eyes closed. it's less distracting and I can really hear what's going on. Visualizing the board in your mind, you can indeed see both hands at once. Something I've written about many times before. It's a great sensation, Jonathan. Congrats on finding it for the first time...

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

H3.!

Hmm. I'm just starting to do this and I'm very happy about that fact.

There's lots of good reasons to do it as you say. Seeing the space between notes with your eyes closed, I can do it one hand at a time, and I'm slowly getting there with both hands.

Thanks for the reminder.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Rad. Yep I'm right in that , like Greg says. It just sort of happens I think as a natural progression as with any instrument.
As for "Eyes Wide Shut" I'm still waiting for my invite to the party in the movie...

Have a very Happy Hobart Christmas.
B

Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Emmett has a section of Free Hands called "Your Hand Sees", it's a great description of one aspect of this sensation, I think.

The neutral tuning of The Stick makes some aspects of situational awareness much less important than they would be on the guitar, where you have that odd interval to contend with between the G and B strings.

Still, there are times when you might see me open my eyes very quickly, needing to make a quick adjustment. In those moments I'm very happy to have linear inlays with high contrast. This is admittedly not the most beautiful inlay configuration around, but who cares if it saves you from playing wrong notes!

Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
Still, there are times when you might see me open my eyes very quickly, needing to make a quick adjustment. In those moments I'm very happy to have linear inlays with high contrast. This is admittedly not the most beautiful inlay configuration around, but who cares if it saves you from playing wrong notes!

That reminds me of an issue I have with my Railboard (besides the fact that it plays lots of wrong notes.) I effectively GAVE UP trying to use the inlays as a reference point WHILE PLAYING (I use them to start) because I CAN'T SEE THEM! :lol: The tape is so deep in the wells that I can't see fret 17 and I can barley see fret 12 when playing.

I thought I'd be clever and I put gold tape at various fret positions and I could see that great! But then I realized the tape was TOO MUCH of a visual crutch, so I took the tape off.

I try to rely on muscle memory to get to the right position while playing.

But I think it would be nice to be able to see the inlays clearly at least. Has anyone tried filling in the Railboard inlay well with something nice and visible? I think 14 karat gold would look really swell on my black Railboard!!!

Black Railboard #6594 BM

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:10 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Your inner eye working in conjunction with your inner ear. Connecting your anticipated subconscious Sonic Imagination to your heavily practiced finger and hand movements will yield the best musical results. The internal becomes the external. Your creativity becomes your output.
Phil Osophy

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Phil O is right. I had a hard time last year with playing my arrangement of "Silent Night" which has a few I-V-I cadences. The hand sits directly over the V chord when playing the I (in this case), so when I was playing strictly by eye, I couldn't find the target consistently. This year, I practiced the motion of just my index finger going back & forth between the I & V. The I tried it with my eyes shut. I can't get it consistently yet with eyes shut, but just working on that has, for the most part, alleviated my I-V-I problems.
Also trying to work on embryonic-stage soloing over "Here, There..." while playing the changes with closed eyes. That's getting more consistent, too.
:)

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Luc wrote:
Phil O is right.

He really is. And he also pointed out at FHA that visibility of higher frets is an issue with the way some of us hold our Sticks.

Lee Vatip wrote:
Connecting your anticipated subconscious Sonic Imagination to your heavily practiced finger and hand movements will yield the best musical results.

Hmm. That's a really great name for an album! It's beautiful, deep, rich, full of meaning! Why, someone should release a CD with that name!

"Practiced Finger!" It's gold, Phil! Gold!

Black Railboard #6594 BM

Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:37 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Indeed....Goldfinger.
BTW...the CD is doing well.
Lola Beedo

Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:41 pm