It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

Rblock phantom power voltage requirements 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Rblock phantom power voltage requirements
I notice some devices provide less than 48v for phantom power. Like the Fishman Loudbox combos (http://www.fishman.com/product/loudbox-artist) seem to provide 24v power.

What works with the R-block?

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:23 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Rblock phantom power voltage requirements
jdt wrote:
I notice some devices provide less than 48v for phantom power. Like the Fishman Loudbox combos (http://www.fishman.com/product/loudbox-artist) seem to provide 24v power.

What works with the R-block?
I haven't tried anything other than 48volts. Next time I'm in Richmond, I'm hoping to check out a couple of different amps with it...

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

In my research, every device I have found which supplies less than 48 volts of phantom power has had other design compromises which I did not like (of course, I operate within a "buy once" paradigm). Given how affordable phantom power supplies are, I recommend that you focus on your other requirements first: you can then calculate the cost of adding phantom power inline with each of the resulting candidates.

Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:50 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Robstafarian wrote:
Given how affordable phantom power supplies are, I recommend that you focus on your other requirements first: you can then calculate the cost of adding phantom power inline with each of the resulting candidates.

Hi Rob,

In this case I'm considering a number of similar but different under $500 amps that people have said good things about in this forum, such as the
Behringer Ultratone K900FX or K3000FX(?), Carvin AG 100D, Crate CA120DG,
EV ZLX-12p, Fishman Loudbox Artist 120 (not quite under $500), Roland KC_*, etc.

You've made a number if very interesting recommendations for me, some of which I put in the "great for living room but not weekly-trip-friendly" category.

I'm still doing research so this is just my current line of thinking. Every device I can eliminate from the set of things I have to unplug, wrap up, drag to/from the car, redeploy, for my weekly commute between states is a time saver for me.

So there's a fine line of "do I want this amp enough to run an extra phantom power gizmo because the amp doesn't have what I need" for any purchase.

I'm also considering some of the mixers you and Greg have suggested in various forum notes, but I haven't quite figured out which amps would benefit from mixers in my scenario.

In a secondary line of reasoning in my current research on the above amps, I'm hoping I'll be happy (enough) with the bass response on them, in their capacity as mostly flat frequency response, broad range devices. If not, I'm hoping that maybe simply the addition of a separate bass unit later in time might round it out enough for me (the MarkBass comes to mind). Pointless conjecture I'm sure, just sharing my thinking.

Meanwhile, I'll go for a 48 volt phantom power supply solution whatever equipment I spring for in the coming months while waiting for my stick, and won't try a lesser voltage. While it'd be nice to have it built in, based on Greg's response, I won't skimp on voltage.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:56 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Since you are considering a number of widely available items (excluding the Carvin, obviously), why not wait to buy until you have tried them in a store with your Stick? As ever, be wary of false economy.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:51 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Robstafarian wrote:
Since you are considering a number of widely available items (excluding the Carvin, obviously), why not wait to buy until you have tried them in a store with your Stick? As ever, be wary of false economy.

Took a look at a Guitar Center in Natick MA last week. They had guitar and bass amps but almost nothing for KB or Acoustic amps, much less the ones that I was interested in for the stick. I thought that was strange given the number of keyboards and acoustic guitars they had in the store.

Sat May 02, 2015 8:50 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I do not recall: have I mentioned the comprises inherent in acoustic guitar and keyboard combo amps?

Sat May 02, 2015 5:55 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Lol Rob, is that a trick question?

Yes, I'm definitely aware of at least some of the limitations (but am always willing to learn more). Some compromises are to be expected in what is for me basically a portable practice amp that I'll also use for living room performances for my parrots, nearby porcupines, and other critters here in the wilds of Vermont.

I was hoping to find some dual-channel (or better) xlr input combo amp with phantom power that was well spoken of by stickists with regard to basic melody and bass frequency response. Unfortunately most of those which are well regarded by people in this forum under $500 have the wrong voltage for phantom power , only one xlr input, etc. All of which I'm sure is fixable with various gizmos like an xlr pass-through device providing phantom power, various xlr->tsr adapters or vice versa, and so on. You've already clued me in to some of them. (Can I provide phantom power to the stick without using XLR connectors? I'm not sure).

I was hoping to keep it simple for portability and electric-instrument-newbie-me reasons.

I still have notes on your other suggestions involving various cabinets, carvin amps, presonus gear, and similar solutions to the problem, but I'm not necessarily up to speed enough to fully understand all the linkages and tradeoffs in these cases. For example, it'll probably help when I actually SEE some of these cables as shipped with my stick ;-) Meanwhile, I continue research while I wait for my stick to ship

As a computer guy, I'm actually somewhat amazed by the lack of specs published for some of these music oriented electronics. Like vendors who don't specify the voltage of their phantom power supplies, for example. They say it's there (the phantom power) but don't tell you that it will only 14, 24, or other diminished voltage in the "specs" they publish. You really have to dig for it, sometimes in user forums. Maybe the specs are just implicit in the the terminology and I'm not experienced enough to know it.

Sun May 03, 2015 7:03 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

You have to use XLR connectors for phantom power. Might we have a Skype call, or Google+ Hangout, to discuss this properly? I could show and tell with my Railboard.

Sun May 03, 2015 2:51 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Rob, are you shure? Phantom power should work just as well if you're using a balanced jack. I don't know if it will power the railboard pickup cause I've never tried it (mine hasn't arrived yet) but, as in a regular balanced patch bay, phantom power passes thru it just fine.
Just to add a little input: usually to have the full 48v phantom power you have to have very good preamps. Not the kind one finds In a combo, I'm talking about preamps you'd see in a studio. Most things will work with less voltages thou, but it does makes a lot of difference when you're working with high end mic's. Just saying.... :)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sun May 03, 2015 4:17 pm