It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

Melody-Side Volume Issue 

Post Melody-Side Volume Issue
Hello all,

This is a very noob-ish issue, as I am quite the beginner.

I just bought a used 10-string Stick off of eBay for quite a bargain, and it was described as being in perfect condition. It arrived today, and visually it does seem quite pristine. It is an older model (no truss rod, two knobs on the pickup, etc.).

When I go to plug the Stick into my bass amp via a single 1/4-inch cable, the bass strings sound just fine, while the melody strings have almost zero volume. The string closest to the center on that side has a little amount of amplified sound, but the rest are silent.

Does anyone have any idea of what the issue(s) might be, here? I've been toying with it for several hours now and am fully frustrated.

Thanks much!

-Stan

Thu May 14, 2015 2:26 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Melody-Side Volume Issue
It's a stereo output. One side is bass, the other covers melody. The melody side that you're hearing is likely crosstalk from the close-by bass pickup.

Sounds like your instrument has a Stickup (pickup), which does not have a mono capability if memory serves. Different ways of handling it...most of us split it with a stereo cable (Stick Enterprises sells one) and then run it onto either a two channel amp, a mixer, or two separate amps, with processing to taste along the way.

Good luck! There will doubtless be a few other responses in short order expanding on this. :-)

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Thu May 14, 2015 2:41 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

It's a stereo pickup you need a stereo y cable and 2 inputs. Try pulling the cable out half way and see if the melody strings work and the bass goes silent.

Brett

Thu May 14, 2015 2:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

In a pinch you can plug in the mono cable 3/4 of the way, and loop it over the belthook. You will get both sides that way, but you need to get an insert cable like this as the permanent solution:

http://www.stick.com/accessories/cables/

welcome!

Thu May 14, 2015 2:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

You guys are great - that all made sense and was very helpful. Thanks much!

Fortunately, I have a small guitar amp which might work for the treble side. Do you know if it would be possible/worth it to send it in to have it refit with a newer (possibly mono) pickup? I've noticed many of the frets are a bit tarnished anyway...

-Stan

Thu May 14, 2015 3:11 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

SuitCoatMan wrote:
You guys are great - that all made sense and was very helpful. Thanks much!

Fortunately, I have a small guitar amp which might work for the treble side. Do you know if it would be possible/worth it to send it in to have it refit with a newer (possibly mono) pickup? I've noticed many of the frets are a bit tarnished anyway...

-Stan

You may want to send it to Emmett to be refitted with a truss rod, i would. And also what ever modern updates he can give it. The Stickup pickup is actually a GREAT pickup so you may want to keep it. I have the PASV4 pickup which is arguably their premium pickup and it CAN run in mono, but I seldom if ever run it in mono and i think if you ask a lot of Stickist most would say the same. It's simply too cool to be able to process and amplify the melody side differently than the bass side. I've owned used Sticks with Stickups in the past and for me, the Stickup is one of my favorite pickups. It has THAT classic Stick sound. Just buy a small cheap mixer and you can run both sides though any amp. May not be the BEST amplification situation but it's still better than running mono because you can put different effects on each side. ANYWAY ... at the very least I'd call SE and talk with Emmett about checking / adjusting your stick and retro fitting it with a truss rod. That way you can keep the action nice and low and will have the option of different tunings and sting gages!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Thu May 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

It is definitely worth looking into a truss rod retrofit. Please, do not buy any gear until we have a chance to get you up to speed.

Thu May 14, 2015 4:50 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I use a 'low noise' XLR mic cable with a few attachments.
For the stick side, I use a stereo to XLR adapter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PKG1-XLR-Male-Adapter-to-1-4-Stereo-TRS-Connector-144-y-/120804296412
For the amp side, I created a different setup that allows me to use two separate amps with a synthesizer option.

SuitCoatMan wrote:
Hello all,

This is a very noob-ish issue, as I am quite the beginner.

I just bought a used 10-string Stick off of eBay for quite a bargain, and it was described as being in perfect condition. It arrived today, and visually it does seem quite pristine. It is an older model (no truss rod, two knobs on the pickup, etc.).

When I go to plug the Stick into my bass amp via a single 1/4-inch cable, the bass strings sound just fine, while the melody strings have almost zero volume. The string closest to the center on that side has a little amount of amplified sound, but the rest are silent.

Does anyone have any idea of what the issue(s) might be, here? I've been toying with it for several hours now and am fully frustrated.

Thanks much!

-Stan

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Last edited by WerkSpace on Thu May 14, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 14, 2015 5:12 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

i had Emmett retrofit a truss rod on my old Stick. he also dressed the frets, and replaced the Stickup pick-up,(it was getting microphonic) and replaced the nut/bridge pieces with brass ones. i think it cost $750. IT IS WORTH IT

Thu May 14, 2015 5:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks for all your replies: I'm going to have to look into all of these ideas soon.
Does anyone know if there is some sort of adapter I can get that can solve this issue with a single 1/4" cable? I'm moving into a small apartment and I will need to play through headphones. I was hoping I could run my stick into my bass amp, but I'm not sure what sort of male-to-female adapter would allow me to combine both stereo outputs into a single mono signal.

Stan

Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:45 am