It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

Phantom Powering My Railboard 
Post Phantom Powering My Railboard
Greetings from lovely frigid Carrollton, TX, USA,

Coupla questions on Phantom Powering my Railboard:

1) Is there a minimum Voltage at which my pickups will not switch into the active mode ? Some mixers only provide 15V, some mixers only provide 24V, cable length aside where will the "non-switch" occur ? Graceful ? What if i'm borderline ?

Added 01-27-2014:

Been checking out mixers, most provide 48V Phantom Power, Pyle's provide 15V, Art's provide 12V, cannot locate where I saw 24V (it's out there tho). I @V specs as well as tolerances are somewhat hard to come by.

Addition done.

2) Using the XLR Splitter (which I do not currently have): if I plug the far ends into two seperate mixer channels each providing Phantom Power, which will power my pickups ? Assumed same Voltages at my mixer and that splitter terminations are not long enough to use two seperate mixers.

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

Last edited by txtouchguitarist on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:27 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Phantom Powering My Railboard
Hi Glenn,

I've only used it with 48v, and don't have another alternative voltage to test it on. These days, almost all phantom power is 48v as far as I've seen.

I'll try to determine if you need to have power on both lines as well for you. I have a preamp I can do that with.

If you need to extend the cable after the splitter you can use standard XLR mic cables to do that.

Hope that helps.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Thanks for your response Greg. I don't yet have any way to test out my Railboard pickups in the active mode and am looking for an inexpensive mixer to do so. Not saying I want one, but there're a series of Pyle mixers that only provide 15V Phantom Power and I can't honestly pinpoint where I saw 24V, i'd really like to know if they'd work, destroying my pickups is clearly not a goal. Coming from an engineering background i'd really like to know the R-Block specs if they're not entirely proprietary. Also knowing that there's not a catrostrophic failure mode due to insufficient Voltage or polarity reversal would put my mind at ease.

Again, thank for your help, much appreciated !!!!!

Glenn

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:53 am
Just an add-on here, Blue Railboard #R6262, don't yet have the XLR Splitter Cable that SE ships with their orders (they do, right ?), I purchased my Railboard in this forum, not looking to replace the splitter in any other way than acquiring an original. Any Mixer suggestions appreciated.

Glenn

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:48 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

txtouchguitarist wrote:
Just an add-on here, Blue Railboard #R6262, don't yet have the XLR Splitter Cable that SE ships with their orders (they do, right ?), I purchased my Railboard in this forum, not looking to replace the splitter in any other way than acquiring an original. Any Mixer suggestions appreciated.

Glenn

They come with them if you order them new, I dont know if the person you bought it from would have included it or not, though.

as far as your question on the cheap mixers, I use a Behringer Xenyx 802 with mine. It provides 2 XLR channels with phantom power +48v, and they're like 60-70$ new. The only downside about it is the effects send is mono, but the return is stereo (who would use this configuration, ever?)...

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:20 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

metalken wrote:
(who would use this configuration, ever?)...

A company famous for design plagiarism who wants their product to be different enough from the original to avoid a lawsuit, perhaps?
;)

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
metalken wrote:
txtouchguitarist wrote:

Glenn

They come with them if you order them new, I dont know if the person you bought it from would have included it or not, though.

as far as your question on the cheap mixers, I use a Behringer Xenyx 802 with mine. It provides 2 XLR channels with phantom power +48v, and they're like 60-70$ new. The only downside about it is the effects send is mono, but the return is stereo (who would use this configuration, ever?)...

Thanks for your response. Are you using both channels on the Behringer thru the splitter cable ?

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:08 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Luc wrote:
metalken wrote:
(who would use this configuration, ever?)...

A company famous for design plagiarism who wants their product to be different enough from the original to avoid a lawsuit, perhaps?
;)

I've seen other companies that aren't famous for that do this as well. It confounds me.

txtouchguitarist wrote:
Thanks for your response. Are you using both channels on the Behringer thru the splitter cable ?

Yeah, I am. I've never actually thought to try it otherwise :lol:

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:25 am
txtouchguitarist wrote:

Yeah, I am. I've never actually thought to try it otherwise :lol:

Thanks again for your response, there was some logic behind my question tho:

1) if i'm putting 48V on two XLR pins of both XLR connectors at the mixer and end up with 48V on two TRS "pins", T & R both referenced to S, at my Stick, do I really need to Phantom Power both channels ? Does the Stick require 48V on both T & R or does it "pick one" to switch the R-Block into the active mode ? Also, it's indeed possible i'm misunderstanding this interface, i've not yet received any info on its workings.

2) This one's a killer, one of the reviewers of the Behringer Xenyx 802 stated that the Mixer will not provide Phantom Power to both Mic inputs simultaneously and provided no further explanation, both "factoids" make me both wonder and annoy me. Review is on MusiciansFriend website.

Thanks for everybodies patience in listening to my dribble, but i'd really like to know :?

Glenn

Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:41 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I've got an Alesis S-6 mixer as well as a Yamaha MG82-cx, both work great with the Railboard 8-)

Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:45 am