It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:50 pm

Are we all fanatics? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Are we all fanatics?
Why does it seem that most Chapman Stick players are fanatically into this instrument?

I teach in an arts school, and work with many aspiring and highly accomplished musicians, and other performing artists. With no other musical instrument do I find the strange fanatic attachment ( myself included ) that seems to grab players of the Stick.

There is something about the combination of the kinesthetic and aural experience of playing on this thing that borders on passion. What is that?

Is this as commonly experienced as I think?

Harry

Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:06 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Are we all fanatics?
Last August, I was clapping, singing and dancing with 7 other Stickists around a larger circle of Stickists, 34 to be exact, that were all playing at the same time.

It was surreal.

After that spontaneous musical event, we went around the circle, talking about our time together. Lots of us were in tears. I cannot put the experience into words. If you were there, you know what I mean. It was a very meaningful experience - that moment will live on forever as a very positive moment in the minds of all that were present.

While this may take a different form each time out, pretty much every Stick event (seminar, cricle) has moments like this. Is it fanatical? Perhaps. But maybe the Stick represents something that is unique and unexpected in a desensitized world that demands that we conform to it.

Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Unique, something Gene said. I think another thing that makes Stick players fanatical about the instrument is how unique it is. Everything about it is unique, how it's played, how it's tuned, how it sounds, different ways different player uses it and the type of music they play on it, the list goes on. Because the instrument is so unique it also makes each player unique. Guitarist, even good ones are not rare, but a Stick player is VERY rare, and an accomplished Stick player is rarer still. Playing the Stick can often times be humbling however it's also wondrous and can be almost a religious experience when you connect with it. And then there's the community! The Stick community is a very nurturing community. Players become friends, (even if they've never met in person) help each other and support each other. EVERYTHING concerning the Stick is unique in a positive way and I think this also leads to players being fanatical. One other thing, at least for me, there's almost a feeling of duty. I feel the Stick is important and I want to spread the word and introduce others to it. Personally I am NOT what i consider accomplished on the instrument but none the less, I've turned on at least 40 local musicians to the Stick. So far none have become Stickiest however they are all blown away by it and KNOW it exists. I guess part of being a fanatic is the desire to spread the word.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

First off +1 for Gene! Great story and post! You too 88!

You say Fanatic like it's a bad word? ;) Miriam -Webster defines it as:

Definition of FANATIC

: marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion

Then yup! Where can you find another instrument ( that doesn't weigh 2,000 lbs -sorry piano's and your kissin cousins keyboards) that can easily *play melody, chords and bass all at the same time. When I was doing my 3 hour gigs at IO, I found I could arrange on the spot, play an "orchestra hit" if I wanted with a 2 hand chord, and then move the dymanics down to a minimilism singular bass note and melody all within a split second of thought.

Times when I was asked to go back and play guitar after playing Stick extensively, i would look at my pick hand, and say "why am I not using this?"

Emmett also builds perfection which he is constantly improving. My PolyCarb is light years away from my Bamboo 12 string Grand- but I still love it.

Do i have excessive enthusiasm- Yes! Often intense uncritical devotion- just comes with the turf baby, comes with the turf!
junkfood for thought,
Dave B "DBro"

* sure you can do this on a bass or guitar ( my buddy Laurence Juber) but as Ringo said
you know it don't come easy!

Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

...devotion, devotion, devotion....

...IMHO the best explanation....

Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:15 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Are we all fanatics?
I've had mine for 6 days now... Can't imagine more than a couple of hous away from it: every time I notice improvement, new possibilities, something new I want to say, new ideas... Right now It's just a matter of muscle memory, hard work and lots of fun. Being such an amazing instrument gives one endless creative routes and it seems that there's nothing one can't play with it. For a musician that's all we ever need. I know no other instrument that can give me that. And I've played a lot of them for a very long time! First time this ever happened to me!!! Plus the expression...
Finally, the people here, everyone is top notch, and that is kind of like a free bonus :)
Cheers
Rodrigo

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:04 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

popstuart wrote:
There is something about the combination of the kinesthetic and aural experience of playing on this thing that borders on passion. What is that?

Borders on passion? Lots of passion right here… enough to go around on stickist.com

Excellent topic.

88persuader wrote:
The Stick community is a very nurturing community. Players become friends,

The community needs nurturing. Nurture or die. :) The Stick being a baby in the grand musical scheme. A 40 year-old infant.

All over the world I've heard this, that since there is little social reinforcement in the form that most long-established instruments have had, the pioneering folks who play The Stick have had to create their own support system.

earthgene wrote:
Last August, I was clapping, singing and dancing with 7 other Stickists around a larger circle of Stickists, 34 to be exact, that were all playing at the same time.
It was surreal.

After that spontaneous musical event, we went around the circle, talking about our time together. Lots of us were in tears. I cannot put the experience into words. If you were there, you know what I mean. It was a very meaningful experience - that moment will live on forever as a very positive moment in the minds of all that were present.

Not just the memories. I will definitely be posting video of this as soon as I can make it work. You can count on it. A true tribal experience it was.

dbrosky wrote:
Definition of FANATIC

: marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion

Uncritical? I'd have to say no way.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:48 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

If we were uncritical, then we would do a disservice to Emmett and everyone else at Stick Enterprises. The people who love you often offer the most meaningful criticisms.

Regarding enthusiasm, I think it comes from discovery. When each of us held a Stick for the first time, including Emmett himself, that moment was the result of a discovery. No one has ever had a Stick shoved in their face by a wage slave at Guitar Center (nor Sam Ash, for that matter ;) ). We each discovered the Stick buy going our own way, so much so that it fits every aspect of the "roll your own" paradigm except for the fact that we—apart from Emmett and the gang at Stick Enterprises—did not build our own Sticks. Every moment since the first has been another discovery. History shows us that people like to share their discoveries with other people.

Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:44 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

fanatics? I think you meant: fantastic!

Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

We ARE the FANTASTIC "fan"atics because when someone in the room says or asks, "WHAT IS that THING you are playing?"....and you are THE ONLY person in the room that KNOWS what it is and can "school" the inquisitive audience...it is a very powerful moment. (Hehehe,....I secretly LOVE when people ask that question, because it's so fun to be allowed to have a "teachable" moment). Share your passion♥♥, Stickistas!!

I was part of that "tribal" moment at FHA - LA 2014, pure LOVE!!
Dan, I can't wait to see what you captured that day!!

Hugz, Robin

9/5/11... proud owner of Stick #6085, a "Classy" Wenge 10 with Stickup and glow linears!!

=/=====>

So Cal. Stick Seminar 2012 @ Mira Costa
FHA 2013 - Bel-Air (1 day)
FHA 2014 - Bel-Air

Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:30 am