It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 What's your main mode of play? 

How do you approach the instrument most of the time
two-part play 55%  55%  [ 26 ]
one-part play, primarily bass 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
one-part play, primarily melody 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
one-part play, bass or melody about even 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
about an even mix of two-part and one-part play 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
multiple parts 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 47

What's your main mode of play? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: What's your main mode of play?
Two hands always. Pretty much always left hand on bass-side and right-hand on melody-side. Even when functioning in the bass role in a band setting, I still generally have my right hand chomping chords on the melody side (helps keeping my timing tight), except on those two-hand bass line excursions.

The only time I could imaging playing only one hand is in a band situation where there is not enough sonic room to play both sides. If you have a five piece band, there just isn't room to play very many notes.

Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:31 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Mostly I've played the Stick in band situations: my approach has always been bass+rhythm guitar/synth-like atmosphere, with bass being my main focus.
Sometimes I play in duo with vocalists, and on those occasions I try to have a more pianistic approach.
On my own, I like to play it the way it was envisioned by Emmett, as an improvisational instrument, with the left hand providing bass and harmony and the right hand improvising on top.
For studio sessions, I've been sometimes asked to do "the Tony Levin thing", which is not my favourite approach, but for a few $$$ I'll gladly oblige :lol:

Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

"Akin to buying a piano then tieing your right hand behind your back."

Interesting! Here's a variation. I used to watch Cecil Taylor play live at NYCV clubs and I caught onto his source of atonal energy. He would focus both hands at a single register, up high, down low, and clusters in the middle. His arms would be pumping and you got a feeling of density plus velocity. He'd let the notes reverberate while he moved on to another register.

Yeah, you can play The Stick that way too. Maybe Tony and Michael Bernier come close to that laser focused mode.

Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:50 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

dbrosky wrote:
Two Part play- which sounds so ominous and "i'll never be able to do that" but if you played a single bass note and a single melody note together and then one right after the other, congrats!
you have done two part play. ( that is interdependence - the notes together, and independence- the two notes right after each other - no kidding)

It doesn't have to be this hand "dududuuddududuud" going in a one direction and the other hand "dududududududuud' going in a different direction both in two different time signatures 27/9 and 2/4 cut time at 225 bpm!

i have always said you can drive a car, but you don't have to [nor maybe don't ever want to] compete at NASCAR! But you still enjoy driving and its gets you where you want to go.
Same with your playing.

Just like going off the high dive, you just have to do it once to be rid of your fears ( of success, of achievement ???) Play a very random bass line in your left hand, could be two notes or part of scale, but just play random say in C. Don't think "does this sound good or make sense in this blah blah context"?. Just play.

Then play a c note in your right hand -even and on the beat, so 4 c's like you are keeping time using the note as a metronome. When you are ready, like grabbing a carosel to hop on when it is running, then play 2 notes a c to an d and mix it up all while your Right hand is roaming around on the bass side. play two c's then play a long d to a short c, or play 3 ddd's- c. Congrats you have "broken through the wall" and now can play independent parts.

This is the start DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF to any players who have been playing way longer and have DVD's and Instruction books out :D AT THIS POINT. We all started somewhere and you just did.

hope this helps, and look in the mirror and say "I play two parts!" , don't forget to vote!
Dave B "DBro"

Dbro, your posts are awesome. I love how you think, I'm gonna try and grab a piece of that attitude...

Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:42 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Dbro, your posts are awesome. I love how you think, I'm gonna try and grab a piece of that attitude...

D Bro always inspires....

Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

kevin-c wrote:
Why anyone would play single parts on a Stick boggles me. I know it sounds cool, but its not the way the instrument is supposed to be played. Akin to buying a piano then tieing your right hand behind your back.

cheers,
kev
Well...I just have to say that the whole Tony Levin inspired two-handed bass thing is loads of fun, and it's an incredibly powerful way to be the bass player....but I appreciate where you're coming from... It's good to learn all ways of playing. listening to Michael Bernier, I feel the need to spend more time on two-handed melody, myself...

Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

They make instruments for single part play......I just cant remember what they're called. :ugeek: Theres some in my basement too.
Even though Tony plays primarily on the bass side, I almost consider him a two-parter, cause he is using both hands to create intricate bass lines, albeit,....on one side of the instrument.

cheers,
k

Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

kevin-c wrote:
They make instruments for single part play......I just cant remember what they're called. :ugeek: Theres some in my basement too.
Even though Tony plays primarily on the bass side, I almost consider him a two-parter, cause he is using both hands to create intricate bass lines, albeit,....on one side of the instrument.

cheers,
k
I would call what Tony does most of the time plying a single (kick-ass) part, though he does play two parts fairly often, and did so even back in the Discipline era KC.

Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Been aspiring to be a two-part Stickist so far.

I was asked about willingness to play bass and/or guitar parts at church after accompanying my wife last May. But they will just have to put up with my two-part preference. :)

Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:14 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DaveJ wrote:
Been aspiring to be a two-part Stickist so far.

I was asked about willingness to play bass and/or guitar parts at church after accompanying my wife last May. But they will just have to put up with my two-part preference. :)

Yes they will... Good for you Dave!

Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next