It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

New member central NY state 

Post Re: New member central NY state
Thanks! Hah, and when I try to play the two lines together, my hands run into each other! Had to move some of the bass notes up a string to keep my hands apart. Guess that's part of arranging for Stick. Calling what I've been doing "arranging" is a bit of a stretch - "hacking" more like it, but forward progress at least! :)

Grand Stick #1406
10 string Kevin Siebold "teflon" (non-Stick)

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:53 am

Brett Bottomley wrote:
Well done!!! That's the spirit. .... I really wish you had a proper stick. Sticks are just set up for razor thin action and playability. I'm in Connecticut if you want to try one out, let me know..... day trip???

Brett

Thanks, but it's probably like 5 hours one way, I'm halfway to Buffalo from there lol. I've been bidding on ebay for like 10 years trying to score a real Stick, but they kept eluding me at the last second, so I went for this just to get started (less than half the price of even the cheapest used Stick I've found). If I can make this work, there's a real Stick somewhere in my future (haven't decided between the Railboard and the Grand Stick yet).

Of course, I don't have the talent to justify such an investment, but hey, doing this for me, not to make money off it.

Grand Stick #1406

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:58 am

Just to update this old introduction thread, I'm back, re-newbie, this time with a real Stick! I finally scored a real Grand Stick for a decent price, and already finding it much easier to play than my "teflon" (non-Stick).

YAY!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grand Stick #1406

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:46 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

beholder, that is one beautiful instrument - did you get it from the cat out in Queensbury ??

She's a real beauty, I love those older Grand Sticks.... some day I hope to have one as well :)

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:31 am

Thanks! Not Queensbury, though, sorry, someplace in Texas, I forget. And it's truly a joy to play. Challenging but fun and rewarding already!

Grand Stick #1406

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:40 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

That is way cool, way cool... as the cat in Queensbury had essentially the same instrument - which got sold before I could grab it, but in retrospect this turned out to be a major blessing ??

Why ??

Because I'm about to really shift gears, and order a brand new 8 string Railboard from Stick Enterprises tuned in Standard 4ths all the way straight down, which will be for my 55th birthday next year.

I just have to decide on a color.... decisions decisions......

Stay tuned !!

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:16 pm

Copied a "progress update" from another forum:

Haven't updated in a while. Progress slow. Here's today's installment. Sounds better than it is - I cheated - bass riff is looped 4 times, left and right hands recorded on separate tracks one at a time. Still, sounds cool enough that I don't feel like I'm wasting my time.

Edit: Next goal is to play the above cleanly, reliably, straight through, both hands at once. Then learn to riff the right hand over the top. :D

Grand Stick #1406

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:16 am

Just wanted to say hello as a fellow New Yorker and beginner. I am just north of Albany and sometimes travel the state for work (though not lately of course, given this virus).

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:11 am