It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:57 pm

Drummer Loves the Stick 

Post Drummer Loves the Stick
Greetings. I am a drummer but, love the Stick. I came upon 'Stick Figures' in the late 90s in a used CD store, saw Greg with his Stick and had to check it out. I was mesmerized. I've been a big Stick fan ever since.

Thought I would join this site to ask if any stick players into improv reside in or near Denton, TX and would like to get together. If so, please let me know.

Some info on my end:

bandmix.com/drumsinhisheart
https://www.youtube.com/user/REFondrums/videos
drumsinhisheart.weebly.com
https://soundcloud.com/miledgemuzic

Thanks,
Ray

Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Drummer Loves the Stick
Welcome Ray! You thinking of buying a Stick or just wanting to jam with a Stick player?

cheers,
kev

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

kevin-c wrote:
Welcome Ray! You thinking of buying a Stick or just wanting to jam with a Stick player?

cheers,
kev

Oh, mercy, I could not learn to play a Stick if my life depended on it. No, I'd just like to play and/or record with a Stickist if one were in the area. This seemed like the most logical place to visit and see if someone is in my location.

Otherwise I have enjoyed the site so far, as far as I can take it in, which is basically watching performances.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:46 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Welcome, Ray,

I checked out some of your vids. That drum set is very cool. Is that something of your design?

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Ray, one of forum friends is a drummer.....quite bloody good too.....and a good Stickist to boot!
Dont be shy!

cheers,
kev

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

greg wrote:
Welcome, Ray,

I checked out some of your vids. That drum set is very cool. Is that something of your design?

Hey Greg,

An honor to make your acquaintance.

Yes, the "Pancake," table-top rig is something I have always wanted to try. Ultimately though, the concept is based on Trilok Gurtu's rig. I began making various tom racks based on his basic set-up. Making a full-on drum set was something I have wanted to try for 15 years. At the moment my big set is in storage as we relocate so necessity left the opening to try this idea. I'm on my fourth proto-type, which is a double-headed set. The single headed drums are just too loud and harsh for it's current environment (small bedroom). Each rig gets bigger. It's a lot of fun to play and I may ultimately forgo my usual drum set for this from now on, now that I see how good the double heads sound.

A heck of a lot easier to set up, that's for sure.

Last edited by REF on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:00 pm

kevin-c wrote:
Hey Ray, one of forum friends is a drummer.....quite bloody good too.....and a good Stickist to boot!
Dont be shy!

cheers,
kev

LOL. I walked into Guitar Center with my wife one day to get something in the edrum dept. My wife wants to look at acoustic guitars. She walks out with a beautiful Seagull she wants me to learn how to play so we can play things together (she plays flute). I've picked it up twice in four years. I just don't have the time. So, playing a Stick? Give me another 60 years maybe. I'd need a "Groundhog Day" to pull that off.

I can only have the utmost admiration for those who take this gig up and make music with it.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:05 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I'll jam with you! I live in Denton.

I PM'd you with contact info.

R

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:37 pm