It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:04 pm

Photo collages of Don's and Pat's stick 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Photo collages of Don's and Pat's stick
Hope you enjoy them.

EDIT: In my first photo below I commented on bass string buzz I was having. All resolved - sticklist people helped me fix it by adjusting the truss.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by DonAndPat on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:35 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Photo collages of Don's and Pat's stick
Congratulations! Are you planning to make a slide show of some sort? By the way, I am not sure how much latitude you have to change tunings with that kind of bridge.

If you have a top routed Strat, then I should have some exciting news for you in a few months. ;)

Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:45 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Wow :) Congrats! It's a beauty!!!

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:49 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Robstafarian wrote:
Congratulations! Are you planning to make a slide show of some sort? By the way, I am not sure how much latitude you have to change tunings with that kind of bridge.

If you have a top routed Strat, then I should have some exciting news for you in a few months. ;)

Thanks, I do PowerPoint collages or animations for just about everything I want to express, but I was not planning to add more to this slide set. It is the obligatory ;) new member stick photo set, and people would get tired of seeing more I would think.

I had to look up "top rout", but I'm still not sure what it means. It's a stock American Deluxe Statocaster, which a fancy, maple-topped, American made strat with a humbucker at the saddle instead of the traditional single coil. The pickups are recessed into the top of the body, and possibly accessible under the back plate - I don't remember. The "tremelo" mechanism and string insertion points are accessible from the back, which is I think standard. I would like to hear about your exciting news.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:16 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

bachdois wrote:
Wow :) Congrats! It's a beauty!!!

Thanks Rodrigo!

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:18 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Robstafarian wrote:
I am not sure how much latitude you have to change tunings with that kind of bridge.

Hmm, what is it about the bridge? I was presuming to buy a raised bass set, which I presume would be slightly thinner throughout.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:19 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey guys.
I think what Robsta is getting at is the fact that the intonation is not adjustable on this fixed bridge, so changing to a different string set may not be an option.
You say there is a buzz on your C......if there's no truss (is there?), pop out the string in question and give the string saddle (at the bridge) a half turn to raise it up, put your string back in and try it again. If it still buzzes, try it again.
Just my opinion,....any real Stick players wanna chime in?

Have fun guys!
cheers,
kev

ps
I just read you tried to change the string height, so scratch my idea. Did you try it at the nut too?

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

kevin-c wrote:
Hey guys.
I think what Robsta is getting at is the fact that the intonation is not adjustable on this fixed bridge, so changing to a different string set may not be an option.
You say there is a buzz on your C......if there's no truss (is there?), pop out the string in question and give the string saddle (at the bridge) a half turn to raise it up, put your string back in and try it again. If it still buzzes, try it again.
Just my opinion,....any real Stick players wanna chime in?

Have fun guys!
cheers,
kev

ps
I just read you tried to change the string height, so scratch my idea. Did you try it at the nut too?

Yep, I tried it at both ends. I have narrowed the origin down to between the fret and nut. It is very loud and distracting to the player even with reasonable PA volume. Plus a small amount of it is getting into the PA sound. I mute between the fret and nut with my hand, and it disappears from the instrument and also through the PA. This is standing at the speaker with the stick off to the side, and also pressing pretty hard onto the fret to minimize vibration through it on the string. Or perhaps the PA portion is lesser buzzing between the fret and the bridge.

I see what you are saying about the non-adjustable bridge posts. Different strings might want a slightly different position for consistent intonation as you move up the fret board. I will ask SE.

Thanks for your help.
Don

Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:09 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ok Don...

Has Emmett put a truss rod in? And between what fret and the nut is buzzing?......'cause you said ......."I've narrowed it down between the fret and the nut".....can you be more specific,...what fret, etc.......buzzing Sticks are a drag for sure, unless you wanna sound like Justin Chancellor from TOOL.
It may simply be you're banging it too hard...but I doubt.

If he's put a truss in, you need to start from there. (I see from your pics, you're no stranger to danger, so I'm going to assume there's no truss)
I'm running out of ideas though...
Greg, etal?

hope you can work it out pal...

cheers,
k
ps, luv how they burn the serial number in like a cow brand, thats how it looks anyways....(my apologies to any bovine lovers out there)

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

DonAndPat wrote:
I had to look up "top rout", but I'm still not sure what it means. It's a stock American Deluxe Statocaster, which a fancy, maple-topped, American made strat with a humbucker at the saddle instead of the traditional single coil. The pickups are recessed into the top of the body, and possibly accessible under the back plate - I don't remember. The "tremelo" mechanism and string insertion points are accessible from the back, which is I think standard. I would like to hear about your exciting news.

Almost all Strats are top routed, meaning that they have a large pickguard which holds the electronics. Rear routed guitars, such as the Gibson Les Paul, have electronics which are mounted to the top of the guitar and accessed via a cavity cover on the guitar's back.

The exciting news is that I plan to start manufacturing loaded pickguards within the next few months, meaning pickguards with all of the electronics already mounted and wired (installation only requires soldering two wires to the output jack and mounting the pickguard), which will contain circuits based on my invention. The drop-in model will provide 60 tonal options, and my flagship model will provide 11,952 tonal options (all models other than the drop-in model will require the guitar body to be permanently modified, to provide space for the switches). I have kept that mostly off of this forum to date, as this is not a guitar forum, but I will post major milestones in the Announcements section (assembly of the prototype will begin any day now).

I cannot offer any specific advice about your Stick because I have very little knowledge of that era of SE's manufacturing.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:59 pm