It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

Well, I'm in 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Well, I'm in
Lee Vatip wrote:
Joe Pass? Not often mentioned on this forum.
Had the honor of playing with him on a TV show a long time ago.. Sweet man, great player. "Virtuoso" LP. was in my permanent rotation.

I'll bite. Who's Joe Pass? [Googley...] Ah, jazz guitar great. This video was pretty tasty. Thanks!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Joe had a fantastic internal clock that grooved consistently whilst juggling melodies, improvs, chords and bass lines without modern looping or tapping techniques. A true virtuoso on the guitar.

Steve A

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

My first week in L.A. back in Jan 1975 I moved into an apartment in North Hollywood about 2 blocks from a small jazz club called Donte's and every Monday night was guitar night. I went down there and Joe Pass was playing. A pretty thin crowd so I was able to get a table right up front directly in front of Joe. I struck up some small talk with him and he asked if he could put his wine on my table. After a solo set he brought out a bass and drums rhythm section and did a set with them. I was floored of course and as I was leaving I asked Joe where he was playing next and he said: "I dunno. Hey - do you have a line on any gigs?" I knew I was in deep shit as a guitar player in L.A. if Joe was having trouble getting a gig. A couple weeks later Lenny Breau and Herb Ellis shared a bill at Donte's and Ted Green was in the audience. That's how I came to study with Ted. For years I was at Donte's every Monday if possible and saw all the greats. That crew is pretty much all gone now.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:32 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great story

Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Joe Pass? Not often mentioned on this forum.
Had the honor of playing with him on a TV show a long time ago.. Sweet man, great player. "Virtuoso" LP. was in my permanent rotation.
Good luck with your musical pursuits. Joe Pass style is a noble yet achievable goal

Steve A

I've seen Joe Pass (maybe in 1979) at The Rising Sun (Montreal) and I was in the first row...maybe less than 10 feet from him. I was with a friend of mine and this show was like a guitar lesson...lol. This night club was full of guitar players that night.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Alain wrote:
Welcome to this forum. Interesting what you wrote..."I could separate my hands and actually play something like the Stick that demands independence rather than coordination" I was wondering where you see the difference. I may be wrong but I see these two concepts as a unique one. Not easy though to reach this goal of independence-coordination.

I'm not trying to say anything particularly deep or profound. And bear in mind my disclaimer about my amateurism. :D

I'm merely saying that in a physical sense I feel something different. At the most basic level on a guitar, one produces sound by fretting one or more strings with one hand and then setting them in motion with the other. So the actions of the hands are (to me) somewhat joined together. Or if one were playing a flute it's pretty important that the hands are working together to push down the right set of keys simultaneously.

On the other hand, to me my jaunt through the first two or three books of Palmer-Hughes for the accordion felt different. While of course musically everything is working toward a common goal, I didn't feel like my right hand cared what buttons my left hand was pushing, or my left the keys of the right hand. And I imagine the Stick to be more like that.

That's the only thing I was trying to get at. Ultimately I would think one wants that to disappear from consciousness and I'm pretty sure for musicians better than me it does, but I've never been at a level where it completely did for me.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:37 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I like the way you said that. What contributes to that endless loop is that the melody and bass side can and often require, separate amplification.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great observation
On The Stick, the two hands desirably work together, intertwined, feeding off each other to create the ever important groove factor. Independent in fingering, codependent in sonic output.
Takes time and practice but that wholeness you correctly pointed out, should and can be the achieved on The Stick

Steve A

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Welcome! And join the throes of Stickicity. Not Joe Pass? I'm not Ron Carter, pleased to meet you! That's where I'm coming from, upright and electric bass wanting to play chords and melody too. On the Stick, whichever hand and finger can reach it, that's where I'm going. Pray and play, mental and spiritual health on 10 or 12 strings!

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Well, I just got the email and paid the balance, so the wait should not be much longer. Others who are waiting take heart!

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:48 pm