It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:33 am

New Stickist from Northern CA 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: New Stickist from Northern CA
phobucket wrote:
The diagrams are cool, although I must confess it took me some time to understand the orientation. IMHO, more material is good material, even if it doesn't click for me right now, it could be useful for someone else, or for me later.

The column headings are the notes of each string, starting with string 12 on the left, at the X fret. The row labels on the right are the notes of the numbered frets, in scientific pitch notation.

Which tuning do you use?

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:58 pm

I use classic tuning. If you switched the orientation of the pitches, with the lowest pitches at the top of the diagram, would it essentially be like looking at a stick from the front?

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:03 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

phobucket wrote:
I use classic tuning. If you switched the orientation of the pitches, with the lowest pitches at the top of the diagram, would it essentially be like looking at a stick from the front?

Yes, that would be like looking at a Stick from the front. The problem with such an orientation is that the staves would be misrepresented: my initial purpose in making the diagrams was to label the fret necessary to produce a given note, in the context of the grand staff (technical limitations inherent in my diagramming method prevent inclusion of the brace required to denote a grand staff properly). That said, I could produce a set of diagram which labeled the rows as by fret number, rather than by note, with the notes specified where they would fall along each string.

Rather than do that by hand, however, I suggest using a tool created by someone on my preferred guitar forum and making a pair of screenshots: selecting “chromatic scale” will label every note position, and changing the chord root will change the color-coded intervals. Users of ten-string Sticks should select open notes with an overlapping string, such that basic photo manipulation will create a useful diagram.

An even better idea would be to print the fretboard diagram found on the appropriate tuning page such that you could make an exercise of labeling it by hand.

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:01 pm

Robstafarian, thank you for that chart. I'm thinking of getting an Alto in Bob's Extended, and that really helps me to understand the relationships between the fretboard and the staff.

2018 Tarara Alto, #7074; Bob's Expanded; PASV4.

Fri May 11, 2018 5:33 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Indy Vidual wrote:
Robstafarian, thank you for that chart. I'm thinking of getting an Alto in Bob's Extended, and that really helps me to understand the relationships between the fretboard and the staff.

You are most welcome: I am glad that my geekdom has helped someone.

Fri May 11, 2018 9:11 pm