It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:13 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 newbie has a boatload of newbie questions 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: newbie has a boatload of newbie questions
My favorite amp for the Stick/Railboard is the Roland JC-120.
It has the cleanest tones and a beautiful reverb.
It's two 60 watt amps built into one cabinet.

They've been around for 30+ years.
I bought two of them. ($600 + $300 used.)
Listen to that rich tone in the following video.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spil_D5SmUY[/youtube]

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:31 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

IMO:

1. If you buy a new Stick or Railboard and decide that it's not for you, the resale value is exceptional. I bought my first used Stick and when I sold it, I got $200 more than I paid for it. Buying used is a good idea but I would DEFINITELY recommend sending it to Stick Enterprises immediately to get a factory setup. I played an instrument for a year that was sorely in need of adjustments. When I received it back from SE it was like playing a new instrument. If you want to play a tap instrument, start with the best. There's no point in buying a guitar first. If you want to learn to drive a car, buy a car, not a motorcycle.

2a. I agree with all other responses: learning to play an instrument is hard but if it's what you want to do, do it. Put in the time and practice as you would any other instrument and that perceived difficulty will fade in due time.

2b. Unfortunately, if there's no one around with whom you could test-drive a Stick, you'll have to take a step of faith. You already have the desire and if it doesn't work out, you can sell it for a good price and get most or all of your money back.

4a. I've seen those Krappy guitars but never played one. To me, if a company is going to name their company "Krappy," I wouldn't expect too much. Especially with no technical support. The support from Stick Enterprises is exceptional. Every time I've called during business hours I've talked to a human being. A couple of times, Emmett himself. I've learned the hard way that you get what you pay for. If you buy a Krappy and don't like it, it may the instrument you don't like, not the style or technique. Also, question the resale value of a Krappy guitar. I just can't get past that name.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:53 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks again, y'all. I have a better grip on things now. I just need to do the thing!

Bronze Railboard #7145, Classic

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

1. Guitar first? Stick second? -- Not worth it. A Stick is designed for tap style.

2a. Hard to learn? -- Yes and no. Personally, I found being competent on piano, bass and guitar invaluable for hitting the ground running. Missing any one or more of those degrees of experience will make it progressively harder to acquire (IMO), from the hand independence, to harmony knowledge and rhythm, to fingerboard patterns etc.

2b. Instructors? -- Skype with Greg Howard, Steve Adelson, or others. Well worth it!

3. Will I need two amplifiers? -- Not with the Railboard, it has a stereo/mono switch, so I just run mine mono into a Loudbox.

4a-c. Krappy - A friend of mine has a Krappy touchstyle instrument. Honestly, if you're serious, don't even touch them. Clue is in the name.

5. Railboard strings - I'd suggest going with what Emmett recommends for the Railboard. Raised Matched Reciprocal with medium gauge strings.

Best of luck!

10 string Railboard #7076 (Currently in DBR)

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:50 am

I once tried to do a setup on a friend's Krappy. Avoid.

Sticks are actually very cheap. Check out some of these instrument prices:

https://tinyurl.com/ycommbma

https://tinyurl.com/ycq99fxk

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:09 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

john.e wrote:
Sticks are actually very cheap. Check out some of these instrument prices:
https://tinyurl.com/ycommbma
https://tinyurl.com/ycq99fxk
Haha, good point! I only ever had student-quality instruments.

Bronze Railboard #7145, Classic

Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I found that having music theory knowledge helps a lot with the learning curve. Also I thought Lee Tarricone lived in IN but not sure where I thought it was in the Midwest. Maybe someone else knows of someone in the Midwest who has a stick to try out. Go to Michigan. There are lots of stick players there .

SE makes top high quality instruments. Worth every penny .

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:22 pm

[quote="bbacher"]Hello gang!

Hi,
As a newbie myself - I've had my railboard for a few months only - I can't give you as informed a reply as others above, but here's my limited experience.

I am old and arthritic. I previously played guitar at a very modest level and piano at a level below that. The Stick is one of a kind and my previous instrumental background has been of little help at this stage, although a basic knowledge of music theory and notation has been useful.

I too am learning on my own so far, with no-one I know in my region. I find the dvd's and CD's and youtube videos really helpful and inspiring, but as I'm not a very methodical, step by step learner, I've mostly enjoyed experimenting and finding things out by simply hitching myself to the Railboard and riding off into a fantasy sunset where one day I will surprise myself by playing in front of another human. Its such a fabulous instrument that I have been more determined than in the past to make time to make even small new steps forward, especially at my age! I feel that I'm really free to write my own musical script on the railboard as there is no established canon of music that defines it. The range of styles and applications on this forum is testament to that. People are really friendly
and helpful here and very patient with the dumb questions I've asked and still have.

I'm very motivated to find my musical mojo through this great instrument - when it arrived I was beyond excited. There are challenges for sure, especially if there's no nearby help - I had some issues with eliminating a buzz on lower bass strings despite Greg's helpful video on truss rod adjustments, but experiment has more or less solved it, although my technique is still lacking in getting perfect tones.

I took Emmett's advice and went for RMR tuning with medium strings. Seems ideal at the moment. Maybe if I become the UK's answer to Greg Howard :lol: :lol: :lol: I may try other string gauges and setups, but that may be a little while yet.

Its addictive, inspiring, individual and IMO worth every dollar. The service from Stick Enterprises has been outstanding.

What more can I say? Like you I was stunned when I first saw a video of the Stick in action. It took me far too many years to make the step to buying one when I could have been practising. I spent much more money at gas stations and supermarkets over those years than the price of the railboard, for much less satisfaction. I say JUST DO IT!

Good luck and hope to hear of your journey in due course.

Dave, in the North of the UK 8-)

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:51 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

davehume wrote:
....Its addictive, inspiring, individual and IMO worth every dollar. The service from Stick Enterprises has been outstanding.

...yes, it is indeed....

davehume wrote:
....I spent much more money at gas stations and supermarkets over those years than the price of the railboard, for much less satisfaction....

... :lol: :lol: :lol: ...yes, it is indeed.... :lol: :lol: :lol: ....
...don't forget the fiscals...

davehume wrote:
...say JUST DO IT!...

...meToo, substantiates this...

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:41 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jzzb8ovn wrote:
I found that having music theory knowledge helps a lot with the learning curve. Also I thought Lee Tarricone lived in IN but not sure where I thought it was in the Midwest. Maybe someone else knows of someone in the Midwest who has a stick to try out. Go to Michigan. There are lots of stick players there .

SE makes top high quality instruments. Worth every penny .

I am indeed in Indiana, east of Indianapolis. IM me with any questions or to arrange a test drive.

I second the sage advice you've received here so far. Newbies, take the plunge. I count my progress as modest, but I see the path to competence ahead. I've received nothing but positive encouragement from the Stick community. And, I'd be nowhere without the patient tutelage of Greg Howard. Get the lessons.

The benefits so far are an affirmation that, three years in, I have a musical voice. And ears, too: a lifelong music lover now hears so much more in the music.

Finally, the cost: the delta between a SE-setup instrument and any other is as nothing compared to learning on an instrument that's true, and been made that way by the most capable Stick craftspeople on the planet.

Lee

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:07 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next