It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:57 pm

Greetings from Kentucky 

Post Greetings from Kentucky
Hello Stickists,
I'm a retired attorney, and UMC worship leader, from a river town on the northern border of Kentucky about an hour east of Cincinnati. I'm a keyboardist, who happens to play bass.
I discovered the Stick last Friday while viewing antique and ancient instruments on YouTube...not that the Stick antique or ancient but a video of Mark White performing on the street in 2016 popped up. I was immediately enthralled by the sound, his style, and the instrument, which is something I've imagined in my wildest dreams ever since I started playing bass. Little did I know that something so like what I've imagined has been around since I was in high school. (I reiterate the statement that I do not consider the Stick to be antique or ancient!)
After a weekend of immersive study, contemplation, self-examination, and CoVid induced cabin fever, I designed an instrument for myself with the advice and counsel of numerous Stickists online, and placed my order this evening.
Now face the task of sitting back and reminding myself that patience is a virtue as I start to teach myself to play the thing in my head over the next many weeks it takes to receive it at long last.

Skype Me™!

Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:05 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Greetings from Kentucky
Welcome,and enjoy the journey.

Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Steve Z!

Welcome welcome!

You know it's an interesting time for new stickists, the long wait before the instrument arrives. What instrument have you decided on?

The reason I ask, is that you can look at the stick tuning diagrams and begin to visualise simple shapes like a scale or basic triads. If your brain can naturally make that conceptual jump, then it may be of help.

Many musicians talk about mental practice as being an important part of their musical lives...

Looking forward to hearing your sounds in the fullness of time.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Congrats. May I make a recommendation. I assume your new Stick is a few months away. Perhaps search for a used Stick now. Fairly priced yet always quality. You can practice and get acquainted on this instrument. When the new one is ready resell the used one which will hold its value. You've basically rented a Stick in the interim. Of course you might opt to keep them both.
Just a suggestion that some of my students have done successfully. Good luck with your new adventure.
Steve Adelson

Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

+1 on Lee's suggestion.

I was lucky enuff when I ordered my first new stick that Stick Enterprises had a used Alto in stock, which I snarfed up. I used the Alto for practice for several months until my new stick was done, then later traded it in on another stick.

Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:59 pm

Thanks to everyone for the welcoming and informative replies. My order form requested a 10-string wooden stick with deep baritone tuning. I then received an email from Emmett (responding to an email which predated my order) suggesting a 10-string Railboard with raised reciprocal tuning. I’m inclined now to go with his recommendation, based on much that I’ve read on this forum.
I am curious, about the timeline at this point: How long before I might receive my confirmation call? Before they will request the deposit? Before the instrument will be completed and delivered? I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!
I’ve been looking for used equipment in the meantime, and have been diligently studying chord structures and finger positions in anticipation of going “hands on.” Also watching and listening to everything I can find online.
Keep the journey as exciting as the destination!

Skype Me™!

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:12 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Your wait time may be longer than usual because of the COVID. My rule of thumb is to get an estimate from Stick Enterprises, then double it. It you are told 4 months; then it most likely will take 8 months. I don't find the wait unreasonable since these are custom-made instruments. I had a classical guitar made for me years ago, which took over a year to make.

Ask SE about the beams that are already in stock and pick one of those. This matters more when buying wood sticks. If only Rosewood, Oak and Maple are in stock, select one of those. This won't matter to you since you are getting a Railboard (good choice).

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:25 am