It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:59 am

Hello, No Stick Yet. 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Hello, No Stick Yet.
I've had a few people tell me about Chapman Stick over the years but, around a month ago, I was inspired to look it up again and something clicked after reading about it again and then watching and listening to Kevin Keith play a clear bass line and chords as accompaniment to his singing.

I've ordered a Grand 12-String Stick with 12-String Classic with high bass 4th, though I might change my mind and just go classic to start.

My initial goal/hope is to play walking bass and chords as accompaniment on jazz standards.

Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:18 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Hello, No Stick Yet.
Welcome! This is a nice place to get started on a very interesting musical journey. There are several players with similar goals, like me. What wood and pickups did you order?

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Congrats. Classic is my tuning of choice. High 4th is not necessary. The style you're seeking is very well served in this original standard tuning.
Good luck
Steve Adelson

Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Welcome! Any chance we can get to know you a bit? What part of the world do you live in? What sort of musical background are you coming from?

Good to se you.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:14 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Congrats and welcome!!! Talk to Steve Adelson about lessons! He would be the one to see about walking basslines and comping. He is extremely fluid in his walking lines and comping. ALso, he will teach you a lot about theory as well. He got me over my fear of theory. Im a much better player because of him!

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:05 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

rclere wrote:
Congrats and welcome!!! Talk to Steve Adelson about lessons! He would be the one to see about walking basslines and comping. He is extremely fluid in his walking lines and comping. ALso, he will teach you a lot about theory as well. He got me over my fear of theory. Im a much better player because of him!

Rclere is right - Steve will save you a lot of time getting started for the direction you want to go in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:04 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

\
Gusset wrote:
Welcome! Any chance we can get to know you a bit? What part of the world do you live in? What sort of musical background are you coming from?

Good to se you.

I live in the Bay Area now but I've moved quite a bit. I grew up singing, took some time away from that and then studied music synthesis / programming. I was promptly waylaid by what became my day job. programming, and I've slowly been building a steady practice on the LInnstrument. Coming up on two years of playing at least 30 minutes a day. It isn't much but it's an accomplishment for me since work made it nigh impossible to consistently practice for a few years.

EricTheGray wrote:
What wood and pickups did you order?

Bamboo and a PASV-4

Thanks for the tip about Steve Adelson. I'll check him out!

Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:00 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Welcome!! Steve is a great Teacher.... if you are in the Bay Area you also need to meet Bob Culbertson...... THE master of the stick.

Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

rclere wrote:
Talk to Steve Adelson about lessons!

griotspeak wrote:
Thanks for the tip about Steve Adelson. I'll check him out!

Funny, I now realize that Steve. aka Lee Vatip has already commented in this very thread. Hello! I can't do much right now but hopefully we'll chat some time soon!

Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:27 pm