It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:54 pm

Aspiring Stickest from Arizona 

Post Aspiring Stickest from Arizona
Hi everybody - my name is Ken Cardita.

WARNING: This is a long but hopefully interesting story..

My stick story spans decades but my playing journey is less than a year.
Like many, I first saw Tony play with KC. In the mid 80's I watched a Los Angeles PBS special called KittyHawk: First Flight- about a band with multiple stickists. I was hooked/facinated. Being a life long guitar player I was very interested but raising a young family at the time it would have to wait ....

As the years turned into decades and with the advent of the internet I reconnected with my on again, off again facination with the Stick.

Fast forward to about 2015. I saw Bob Culbertson and Michael Kollwitz play a few times at the Tempe Festival of the Arts over the next couple of years.
I had chances to talk to both of them and ask lots of questions. They were both so humble and helpful. My interest was starting to peak.

Over the next few years I entertained the idea of getting a stick but never did until at the end if 2018- At the Fall Tempe festival Mike invited me to his CD release party in Sedona and was very encouraging. I was turning 60 yrs old the next month I finally decided to buy a stick to celebrate being officially old.

I had no clue what to order - I decided to get a 10 string Railboad based on lower cost and a rather convinceing video about the railboard featuring Kevin Keith. While waiting for my stick to be built (6 months) I aquired all of the instructional DVDs and books that are available intending to teach myself how to play. I soaked up all of the Free Hands Academy content while waiting.

I tried for 3 years to teach myself by bouncing between the materials I bought and YouTube etc . I did not make much progress and after a year only picked it up a few times. My Railboard just sat in the corner of my music room mocking me month after month.

Late in 2021 I happened to watch the 8000 Miles to taptown Episode featuring Steve Adelson. I new of Steve years prior during my exploring various players via the internet. Near the end of the episode he mentions her moved to Phoenix recently . I immediatly reached out to Steve via email - he called me the next day and 5 days later I was taking my first Stick Lesson from him in person. I have taken 15 lessons in the 10+ months and it has made all the difference.

Not too long after my first lesson with Steve he invited me to attend Bob Culbertsons Weekly Stick Zoom call. I have met many really awesome players and people and I have learned so much from each of the calls and appreciate them tolerating my noobie questions.

I am at the point that I can improvise a little and play some simple songs ( all very sloppy and clumsy:) ). I am still struggling with 2 hand independance but making steady progress.

I recently aquired a 1994 12 string Rosewood Grand Stick through Steve that was a bit of a project to restore but I was able to learn all about restoring, repairing and setting up a stick from the ground up .

So thats my story so far ...

I am looking forward to getting to know the awesome stick community at large !

Last edited by KenCardita on Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:23 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Aspiring Stickest from Arizona
Welcome Ken. As you can tell from your experiences, the Stick community is very supportive, friendly and forward thinking. By its nature, Stick owners are a fraternity of out-of-the-box chance takers. You are now a member of that club.
Teacher and student always becomes a very personal relationship., getting to know each other's history, personality and family. Your post has a feeling of creative discovery and purpose, not as elusive as one might think.
I'm glad we connected on this level
See you in a few days.
Happy Two Handed Independence Day

Steve A

Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I love a good origin story, thanks for sharing this. I'm really curious to know if you'd be willing to share your learning lessons with setting up your instrument as there are many that are not able to send their instruments in for set up.

Also, Steve is a true blue Stick friend, so great to have cats like Mike Kollwitz and Steve in your neck of the woods to call upon for guidance and expertise. =)

Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Mike Kollwitz was how I got introduced to the Stick. I visit Maui often and he was playing at the Banyan Tree park in Lahaina. I was instantly drawn to his music and purchased his CDs.

I later won the auction of one of Mike's Sticks on eBay but was disqualified from purchasing it because I lived in Canada. I asked Mike about it and he didn't know what happened, it was an eBay thing.

Eventually, I bought my first Stick from the 'Happy Chef' in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. I bought my Railboard in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Both were purchased thru an online service called Kijiji.

earthgene wrote:
I love a good origin story, thanks for sharing this. I'm really curious to know if you'd be willing to share your learning lessons with setting up your instrument as there are many that are not able to send their instruments in for set up.

Also, Steve is a true blue Stick friend, so great to have cats like Mike Kollwitz and Steve in your neck of the woods to call upon for guidance and expertise. =)

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:28 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm also in Arizona (Peoria). If you haven't already, go to the Musical Instrument Museum and see the stick exhibit. That's where I saw my first stick.

Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:56 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Welcome, Ken!

#5484 Padauk 12 String Grand Stick, PASV-4 MR
#5727 Osage Orange 10 String Stick, PASV-4 MR

- Ted

Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hi Ken,

I don’t have such a long story to tell, nor interesting one about the stick, but I have been aware of it for many years and just this last week purchased one secondhand which should arrive in the coming days. I live in Tempe and I am a professor at ASU, so perhaps we are not that far apart geographically and could touch base. I too just turned 60, but I’m yet to perceive myself as officially old :-) I look forward to meeting you at some point. Cheers Garth.

Last edited by garthpaine on Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:12 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

The Arizona Stick population is growing like crazy. It's a hot place for creative music makers. It's also a hot place for everyone else

Yu Gno Hu

Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery