It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 pm

Hello from the Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada! 

Post Re: Hello from the Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada!
Welcome, and congratulations on the find!

I'm a Stick player (newish... about 4 yrs) in Toronto: there's a few of us around the GTA/Guelph area including, of course, the great Fergus Marsh who played Stick with Bruce Cockburn back in the day. I also play a vintage instrument: Ironwood, circa 1983-1984.

Re: tuning and gauges and such. Yeah, start with Classic/Light as fits the instrument, then play around if something feels missing in your musical expression.

re: the hard case foam. There's a great post on a simple DIY replacement. Check it: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15905&hilit=polyethylene

Enjoy! Hope you love the Stick as everyone here does. Don't hesitate to ask questions: people here are super friendly and helpful. - Dylan

Sat May 20, 2023 12:16 pm

DavidWS wrote:
basscapes wrote:
mahabresq wrote:
Ah, I should have posted the other picture, which shows the magnets adhered to the top cover (darn double-sided tape)!

I plan to restore them to their respective places.

For comparison, there's a pic of my Stickups in this post.

Thank you for sharing!

I've got pics of my potentiometer rebuild from this morning pending (probably post later tonight).

Luckily, I was able to place the magnets in their respective places without any glitches! And it worked! No scratchy pots or cutting out output jack (still need to get some Deoxit in there!

Basscapes - 1989 Polycarbonate 10-String, Stickup, non-truss, sn#2758.

Sat May 20, 2023 12:21 pm

captaindownbeat wrote:
Welcome, and congratulations on the find!

I'm a Stick player (newish... about 4 yrs) in Toronto: there's a few of us around the GTA/Guelph area including, of course, the great Fergus Marsh who played Stick with Bruce Cockburn back in the day. I also play a vintage instrument: Ironwood, circa 1983-1984.

Re: tuning and gauges and such. Yeah, start with Classic/Light as fits the instrument, then play around if something feels missing in your musical expression.

re: the hard case foam. There's a great post on a simple DIY replacement. Check it: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15905&hilit=polyethylene

Enjoy! Hope you love the Stick as everyone here does. Don't hesitate to ask questions: people here are super friendly and helpful. - Dylan

Thank you for the tip on case foam! I will certainly investigate that!

Now, another question (being Canadian-centric) - is there anyone who actually sells strings this side of the border??

I've tried the usual string sources (L&M, Redone, etc.) but came up with nada!

Sat May 20, 2023 12:24 pm

Your best bet is just to find the right gauges and buy guitar/bass strings from a place like Twelfth Fret in Toronto: sometimes L+M sells individuals as well. D'Daddario stings are good as they're long enough. You're looking for:

Melody: 0.008, 0.009, 0.011, 0.014, 0.022w
Bass: 0.101w, 0.065w, 0.040w, 0.022w, 0.013

... or thereabouts.Good luck!
Dylan

Sat May 20, 2023 12:30 pm

captaindownbeat wrote:
Your best bet is just to find the right gauges and buy guitar/bass strings from a place like Twelfth Fret in Toronto: sometimes L+M sells individuals as well. D'Daddario stings are good as they're long enough. You're looking for:

Dylan

I never even thought of buying individual strings! I KNEW they were D'Daddarios (a custom set for SE), but somehow the connection just didn't happen that I could put it together with separates!

Awesome tip! Thanks!

Sat May 20, 2023 1:14 pm

So, late morning found me down in my lab, working on getting the original Stickup pot fixed.

From a casual glance, it really just looked like the shaft had been simply pulled out of the housing; a simple fix for me (and a routine thing at the Day Job).

So I carefully took apart the pot, cleaned it up a bit, and was able to pressure fit the shaft back into the wiper assembly! Easy Peasy!!
(note index bass player finger for size reference!)
Of course, assembly of the pot, reinserting the magnets, closing up the thing and giving it an initial spit and polish weren't an issue either (she'll get the once over when I'm done cleaning the Stick itself and have restrung her)!
Sealed up and classic old knobs back in place! A really clean machine!!! Can't wait to get this installed, string up "Poly", do a basic setup and get some notes out of her!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat May 20, 2023 1:37 pm

captaindownbeat wrote:

Dylan

Have you actually purchased individual strings as opposed to full sets from SE?

I'm curious, because while hunting out individual strings might be a bit more cost effective (here in Canada, instead of pay shipping, duty at the border, extra taxes, etc.), it's a real crap shoot trying to find the right D'Addario ones that are long enough (34" scale is fine for bass strings, but I have no idea with guitar WHICH guitar strings will work)!

Anyone out there know?

Tue May 23, 2023 5:15 pm

Yep, I've bought a few sets through Twelfth Fret in Toronto. Mostly "D'Addario custom singles," grey plastic covers with a green labels, and the lower strings will be individual bass strings. I've never bought strings from SE. Good luck!

Dylan

Tue May 23, 2023 9:50 pm

captaindownbeat wrote:
Yep, I've bought a few sets through Twelfth Fret in Toronto. Mostly "D'Addario custom singles," grey plastic covers with a green labels, and the lower strings will be individual bass strings. I've never bought strings from SE. Good luck!

Dylan

I'll check into that! Might be a good day trip to The Big Smoke,VA's my Dad used to call it!

Thanks!!

Wed May 24, 2023 4:49 am