It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:27 pm

Hello from a new discoverer 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Hello from a new discoverer
Hey there. I discovered the Stick yesterday and I'm totally enthralled. My own musical background is pretty limited - I self taught some guitar for a couple years back in college.

I love the sound, the capabilities, and what I imagine it's like to play. I'm going to spend some time learning and listening over the upcoming... I dunno... months? Years? before I decide to take the plunge. :-)

So that's about it... I'm brand new here and learning new stuff about the Stick left and right.

One question - Since it uses light taps, how much noise is produced acoustically? (i.e. would I bother my wife if I practiced in the same room with headphones on while she watched TV or something?)

Hope to join you players soon!

-- Dan

#6054 Bamboo SG12, ACTV-2, mirrored 4ths piano
#5518 Rosewood 10 String Grand, PASV4, MR

Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:32 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Hello from a new discoverer
:mrgreen: If you play very soft, she'll hardly hear anything. But if you play at a normal volume, I think it's pretty boring for the person you've at your side (everytime I play like this, everybody prefers I plug the Stick into the amp than hearing "cling cling cling" ;) :mrgreen:

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Perfect. I can't explain my fascination, really. It was just love at first sight. I love the range of possibilities, even as a beginner. Its sort of combination guitar/piano characteristics are just so appealing.

I think I'll sit, learn, and listen for a while to confirm to myself that it's really something I want to seriously commit to... But if I see one on classifieds I may just buy it. :-)

I'm glad to see that it has such a great community.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:05 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

BTW, are there any stick players in the greater Boston area who wouldn't mind me checking out their Stick just to see what it's like?

Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:05 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

It's a great idea to check one out. I play in the Boston area every once in a while, but have nothing scheduled right now. you are welcome to come down to North Haven CT and spend some time.

Brett

Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Brett, Did you get an NS Stick? If so I'd like to know what your opinion is, thanks.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:11 pm
Powagoat.

Welcome and man, just go for it! l happen to be a fire goat, good to meet another goat.

My partner happens to like the acoustic sound of the Stick, as it is very quiet. l sometimes serenade her to sleep.... oh is'nt that niiiice. l sneak in a little practice before bed if l have'nt done much on that day.

lt makes for good practice and helps me get used to playing in front of someone.

The Stick will take you to amazing places. We'll all be looking forward to hearing from you in the fullness of time.

Regards.

Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:41 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Greetings Powagoat,

Nice to see more n00bs here, since I just ordered my first Stick myself (12 str grand, MP, light guage). I've been eying this awesome instrument for decades but never really had the time or the money to pick it up. After placing my order the Stick Fever hit me so hard I had no idea how to stand those nine months waiting time. By a lucky coincidence someone canceled an order almost identical to mine and I got the offer to jump in on that one... and suddenly those dreadful nine months were down to 6-8 weeks! :-)) Now I'm all busy rewiring my brain, since I have been playing guitar for a long time and want to speed up the two hand simultaneous improvising learning curve. That is what has always attracted me to the Stick; the option to improvise my own music in a way similar to the classic piano gigs by Keith Jarret. I'm also excited by the two output option, applying two matching effect chains and play the effects (hopefully opposed to "hiding behind effects", an expression I've seen here and there on this forum. Big fan here of Harold Budd, Robin Guthrie etc). Lately I have started asking drummers for good practices for left and right hand poly rhythmic coordination; that's another thing I'd love to learn well for the future Stick playing.

Maybe it's good for you to know that used Sticks don't tend to go down so much in market value, so you won't loose a lot of money if buying one and later on deciding to not keep it.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery