It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:41 pm

Being polite and saying "Hi" 

Post Being polite and saying "Hi"
Hello Board!

I've just bought a Stick on eBay. It's a 10-string, 34" scale (I have small hands) - and that's all I know. I'm firmly of the belief that you have to start playing the game to gain a proper understanding of the game you're in.

This is me scratching an itch I've had for years (since seeing Tony Levin with one) and I intend to see if I can learn to play the thing and make different music to my normal guitar playing.

It's fair to say I've jumped in with both feet without looking too closely at where I'm landing.

So - if anyone has any advice, I will gladly take it... The Stick is coming (no, I've not received it yet) with a copy of "Free Hands". Would a DVD help? Is there anyone in London who teaches Stick who would like a new student?

Frustratingly, I know there is a Stick-related event in London THIS WEEKEND - but I'm not able to attend...

Norman

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:59 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Being polite and saying "Hi"
Hi Norman, welcome and congratulations!

You'll find no shortage of good advice here, as well as access to Stick players in the UK, and people who can give you lessons via Skype.

In term of learning the mechanics if no one's around to show you, you could do worse than get a copy of Greg Howard's "Basic Free Hands Technique" DVD. You'll be able to get a visual on some concepts that could very well make playing a lot easier for you, and a lot faster than trial-by-error learning.

Have fun!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:21 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Norman,

Welcome to the Stick family!

Jim Lampi might be a very good resource for learning the Stick.

Here's a link to the press pack on his website: http://www.lampimedia.com/LM_Music/images/Lampi.pdf

Have fun!

Take care,

Paul

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Norman, and welcome.

EVERY stick player on this site has jumped in with both feet without a firm landing spot as well so you are not alone. Tone Eleven was part of the reason I jumped in too but I quickly realized that I didn't want to play the stick like him. I mean Elephant talk is one of the coolest riffs ever but through this site and other media formats I found other players whose style of playing was much more in the direction I wanted to go. I was also afraid that after getting the stick home it might have been to difficult to learn and then I would lose interest. This happens to some people I would presume.

You're going to have to have a ton of patience with this thing so don,t be too disappointed when you're into month 4 and seem to be progressng slowly. It took me a year to have a finished piece of music (3 minutes) and a year and a half now to have 3 songs under my belt so to speak. They are still rough........but every day there is improvement.

Practice a lot and you will have nowhere to go but forward. And did I mention patience?

cheers,
kev

Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ill be in the UK in July I am always looking for pubs to play in. Where are you located?

and if you know of any pubs I'd love to play and meet you

Brett

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Admin

Welcome aboard and thanks for saying hi! Have fun with your new Stick!

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery