It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:21 pm

New to Stick, again... 

Post New to Stick, again...
Hello,
I just got "new to me" Stick (found here in the classifieds) yesterday. It's actually my 2nd Stick. I had one about 10 years ago but got frustrated with it and sold it. I couldn't get past the idea of treating it like a guitar and bass rolled into one instrument. Well, I'm a decade older and think I'm of the right mindset to approach this in a more appropriate fashion.

My 10-string Stick (actually it's tagged as The Grid, with the GK-2) has the adjustable bridge, nut flaps, single adjustable truss rod, rails, and ACTV-2. It came in a molded plastic flight-type case with all the tools, Emmett's book, Greg's book w/ CD and Greg's instructional DVD, but no cable and no shoulder strap (and dead strings), and is in need of some serious set-up work. I do all the tech on my guitars and basses so I'm not too worried about that.

So I'm going to call Stick Ent. to order a shoulder strap and strings. I figure I'll start with MR medium for strings. Any thoughts on a strap substitute to get me started while I wait on a replacement. Anyone have any luck adapting a guitar strap or something?

Also, I'm assuming that an insert cable (TRS, Send, Return) is fine and is wired exactly like the CBI cables available at Stick.com Yes?

Anyway, wish me luck in my renewed journey.

Dan

PS, I'm in Jacksonville, FL - So any NE FL Stickists who may want to share some pointers, don't be shy. ;-)

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: New to Stick, again...
Welcome Rowka.

Any insert cable will work. As for the shoulder strap, you can always pass a piece of string under the strings in the headstock as a temporary solution; if it digs a bit in your flesh, you can always pad it with a bit of foam or something similar.

Cheers, Daniel.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:32 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Dan, glad to hear that you are back in action with the Chapman Stick. I too have a model similar to yours; flaps, rails, metal bridge, ACTV-2. While I have tried other tunings, I tend to favor the full Baritone tuning, which was sunset many moons ago by SE, but still available through the miracle of custom sets. It is very similar to the tuning that Emmett is using currently though as he has dropped his left side down a full step so the lowest fretted note is a D.

Here is a link to a previous post that will walk you through the process (more or less) on how to create a lap stand for your Stick.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5198

While I tend to do most of my own setup with bass and guitar, I would recommend having SW do your first setup. It will really feel like a new instrument. It is worth it. :D

That said, I am certain you will find lots of friendly people here that want to help and enjoy playing, learning and sharing what they know about the Stick.

Take care brother!
Gene

Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I already sent it to S.E. Now I get to wait again ;)

I'm very interested in making that cymbal stand thingie you have. A little project to tide me over until I get the instrument back from Cali.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery