It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 pm

Bass Retrofit for Noob? 

Post Bass Retrofit for Noob?
Greetings!

I am a bass player who has wanted to try a Stick since I watched Tony Levin play Elephant Talk in the 80's. I currently cannot afford one, but would like to get started with what is available. Although it will not be optimal, I would like to take a cheap 6 string bass (already have)and change out the nut, and reverse string it like half of a stick. If I can prove any ability, then I will be able to justify the expense. Does this sound like something that will work, and if so, how can I get the strings?

Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:33 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Bass Retrofit for Noob?
Hi Wally and welcome!
That Q has been asked here before many times and the answer is same most of the time.......it prolly wont help you at all unfortunately although the intentions are good. Its just a completely different animal.

Emmett always has used Sticks for sale at reasonable prices......heck dude....throw it on the credit card, you could have a Stick in no time....

cheers,
kev

Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Wally,
Kev-C's advice is excellent! You won't get the same experience placing the strings on your bass no matter how great it is. It is a..... ( wait for it) bass.

The Stick is designed and set up for ease in tapping.

Another way to get into it quicker and less financially daunting, is to see one on EBay, call SE to see if they have any info on it, and if all good, purchase it and have Emmett do the set up and refurb on it. Ironwoods are around $800.00 and the refurb will be reasonable depending on what needs done. Yuta told me once that is a good way for new people to get acquainted with the Stick.

If you put out an SOS, there might be someone on the forum close to you that you can visit and try one out. At the PIttsburgh Seminar, we bring extra sticks and noobs are free to come try one out and play along. A lot of the other seminars do that too, just let them know in advance when you sign up. Interlochen is coming up.

hope this helps,
Dave B "DBro"

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I reversed strings on my Schecter Ultra VI after I ordered my bamboo grand. I installed a lefty nut. I did not intend / try to change the action to improve tapping capability. It provided some insight to the reversed bass finger fretting. It was interesting to do and I would do it again today - BUT - I agree with these other guys - The stick is so different than bass and guitar - the best action is to acquire stick.

deep red railboard grand

Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:36 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

For however incredulous you may having read the above, I can assure you that it is absolutely true. About the only concrete comparison I can think to make is that the string tension on a Stick is ridiculously low.

Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:50 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I agree with everyone else.
I've reversed everything on an old acoustic guitar to find my way around the inverted 5th's (no tapping, just understanding the logic of it) and I come from the upright bass so I'm used to having the hand in that position.
I've had mine for a week now and I can assure you that nothing could have prepared me for this. The best thing I ever did was find someone who had one (thanks Boaz!) and ask him to try it out. It was the moment of truth for me.
Rob's right: that was the only comparison I imediately made, the low string tension - makes you feel like your cutting butter on a hot summer day!

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:01 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

A cheap 6 strings bass is probably not going to have a good fret and neck setup. For taping, a straight fingerboard and absolutely level frets are needed. For strings you could find out the Stick gauges and then order individual strings to make up a set from a number of places such as Circle K Strings (Kalium Strings). As others have said, I don't think it is worth it.

If you do want to try something, I'd recommend tuning a bass (even a 4 string) in 5ths (with strings that can be tuned that way). Even with the strings not reversed you will learn about 5ths tuning and save a bunch of money (that can be applied to a Stick.) To me the 5ths tuning was a bigger thing to learn than having the strings reversed or the idea of taping.

Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:36 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Of course I agree with all of the above posts, basses are not Sticks. That said, before getting my first Stick I tuned a 5 string bass I already owned to inverted 5ths just to try to see the logic in the tuning. It was not really tap-able, in fact it was barely playable. The strings in some cases were too loose and in some cases too tight, there was too much relief on the neck for tapping and frankly it simply didn't work. That said however I WAS able to see the chord shapes and hand shapes for inverted 5ths tuning. If you want to try this on something you already own just to get a glimpse of the chord shapes with inverted 5ths tuning I say go for it. BUT I wouldn't waste any money on this and you WILL NOT be getting anything even close to a Stick experience. All you may get is a glimpse of the type of chord shapes available with inverted 5ths tuning, that's about it.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

For almost equal results, without the expense, would you consider air tapping? While my Stick was "in the pipes", I watched every video lesson I could so that I would be ready when it came. I think it helped some, and I didn't have to warp an instrument to do it.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:24 am