It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:34 am

8 String SB 4ths Anybody? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post 8 String SB 4ths Anybody?
Sold back my old Purpleheart SB8 which I wish I hadn’t. ( like always). Almost 2 years now awaiting my SB8 4ths. (Being a bass player). Curious if anyone here plays or has played the 4ths SB8. Probably crickets (lol ). Never heard any input on them.

Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: 8 String SB 4ths Anybody?
Well, are you talking 4ths undivided ??

I come close to that with my NS Stick, as I use that mixed guitar intervals which is pretty damn close to 4ths all the way down if I remember correctly, with maybe the exception of the really thin strings, and I love it as I can easily intergrate it into a rock and roll setting.

My SB 8 is melody 4ths like an electric bass guitar and classic 5ths like the typical Classic tuning, think both are very heavy gauges too - the 4ths side is loads and loads of fun to play - even like an electric bass !! - and the 5ths side I only use when I need deeper tone or notes.

I'm sure somebody here has had to have played a SB 8 in 4ths, as everyone thought I was nuts having my RB 8 set up in Crafty 5ths / 3rds...

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:41 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks for responding George. What I am referring to is a Straight 4ths tuning, like a 6-string bass with two higher 4ths added. I guess I’m the odd duck around here lol. Oh well them odd bass players. Thanks again for responding.

Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

well, here is my take ... I started playing bass in 1968, after seeing Jack Casady!! totally blew my mind... I still play bass, however concerning the STICK... if you are still playing a bass guitar, why not have the Stick tuned 5ths/4ths, or a variation on that.... It will give you a different sonic palette and make you come up with bass lines that are more interesting. Treat the SB8 like a "new" tool in your sonic tool box. You will also gain new motor neurons in your brain for learning something different!! its a win win!!

Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:20 am