Rack Compressor (analog) 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Rack Multi-effect (digital) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Software Compressor 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
What's a Compressor? 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17

What type of compression do you prefer? 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post What type of compression do you prefer?
I was wondering how many Stick players play with a compressor. I am just curious what are the general preferences?

I have been playing with a Boss compressor placed at the beginning of an analog pedal chain. I found that it is almost necessary to bring up the volume of harmonics and various techniques. I took out the compressor to improve my playing. Later, I added a Korg Pandora at the end of my chain as a headphone amp. Now I am back to compression. I have been experimenting with preset effects (including digital compression) after a short chain (Preamp>BigMuff>Phase90>Delay).

Now, I'll be experimenting (and polling) for a while.

Last edited by rob5280 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: What type of compression do you prefer?
I use an AnalogMan compressor for the bass side and usually only with the MXR Phase 90.
Yeah,THAT SOUND.

BassLabs 10 string #5050
PASV4
baritone melody
Mesa Walk About bass amp
Mesa TA-15 amp

Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Frank Lesko wrote:
I use an AnalogMan compressor for the bass side and usually only with the MXR Phase 90.
Yeah,THAT SOUND.

Isn't that essentially the original Elephant Talk sound (DynaComp>Phase90)? I have been reading a lot of great reviews of the various AnalogMan Compressors.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Yes Rob , that is it ! The Analog Man compressor is my favorite . I also have the Keeley and the reissue of the MXR "script" comp, the AM is by far the most useful with the addition of an attack control,it also does not color the tone with treble like the Keeley .

BassLabs 10 string #5050
PASV4
baritone melody
Mesa Walk About bass amp
Mesa TA-15 amp

Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Frank Lesko wrote:
Yes Rob , that is it ! The Analog Man compressor is my favorite . I also have the Keeley and the reissue of the MXR "script" comp, the AM is by far the most useful with the addition of an attack control,it also does not color the tone with treble like the Keeley .

Sorry to disagree, but the AM clearly does cut off a fair amount of bass frequencies when used on the bass side.

Olivier

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I usually use just a little bit of compression at the end of my signal chain. My Trace Elliot Amp has a built-in two-band compressor which sounds quite nice with the Stick.

I only rarely use heavy compression. If I do it's either as a sound effect for that squished sound with more than endless sustain, or to tame the peaks of heavily used filter effects.

https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:07 am
Contributor
Contributor

Olivier wrote:
Frank Lesko wrote:

Sorry to disagree, but the AM clearly does cut off a fair amount of bass frequencies when used on the bass side.

Olivier

Nothing to be sorry about,however I did say "it also does not color the tone with TREBLE like the Keeley ."

In my setup ,with a Marshall Super Bass half stack ,I do not notice any bass cut when using the Analog Man, but with a proper bass amp that may happen. :D

BassLabs 10 string #5050
PASV4
baritone melody
Mesa Walk About bass amp
Mesa TA-15 amp

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

rob5280 wrote:
I was wondering how many Stick players play with a compressor. I am just curious what are the general preferences?

I have been playing with a Boss compressor placed at the beginning of an analog pedal chain. I found that it is almost necessary to bring up the volume of harmonics and various techniques. I took out the compressor to improve my playing. Later, I added a Korg Pandora at the end of my chain as a headphone amp. Now I am back to compression. I have been experimenting with preset effects (including digital compression) after a short chain (Preamp>BigMuff>Phase90>Delay).

Now, I'll be experimenting (and polling) for a while.
I Voted for rack analog because my favorite compressor I use live is the tube limiter in the SWR SM-400 amplifier head.

But, when mixing recordings, I'm a huge fan of multiband compressors like the WaveArts MultiDynamics. These are incredibly helpful for bringing out the essential elements of the full-range signal in a dense mix, without bringing out conflicting sonic elements.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi,

I use two DBX160A (one for each side of the Stick), not as a pumping effect, but as a subtle optimizing of the basicly clean sound. Real easy to use.

4:1 Ratio with maximum of 4db reduction playing the 7th and 8th string around the 7th fret on my Grandstick.

The sound gets clearer, more focused and a lot easier to handle while practise, recording or just having fun.

Cheers

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler" AlbertEinstein

10 String Rosewood (Stickup)
12 String Rosewood (PASV-4)
Classic Tuning (Medium Gauge)
2 Avalon U5
2 DBX 160A
Lexicon MPX1

Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I had to log in on this poll thread and change my post as I now go by the "No Compression" alternative (when this poll was new I too was new and filed under "just a touch of compression"). The better I learn to play the Stick the more I get to value the dynamic control you have over the tone and now I have to admit that compression takes away too much of the tone and dynamics for my current taste.

I do in fact use my PASV4 in a compression-like manner, as each of the four tone options resonates at different bands and will interact differently with your amplification. The dual-out-of-phase for example gives poor lower mid range response for tapping punchy notes but it does elevate not-tapped cross-fret string vibrato extremely well so you can dial in that pickup position to vibrate a chord like a string pad sound.

I do sometimes use compression though. Not on the direct Stick tone but I like to bring back a reverb send through a slowly swaying stereo chorus and a multi band compressor. That gives a huge deep horizon while still keeping the upfront string tone fresh and dynamic.

I think that one reason I did not dislike compression on the Stick in the beginning was that I still was tapping too hard; like constantly playing between #9 and #10 on a ten step scale. Now my ambition is to use the full range of #1 to #10 and that is easier without compression.

When recording I've learned that I still make lots of mistakes, by tapping too hard on a certain note. This could be helped by playing through compression but I think that would mean a too big sacrifice in other areas. Instead of compression I prefer to tidy up such mistakes by mixing the recording; simply lowering the track right on a "too loud" note to keep it from bumping out of the music in an ugly way. It does sound "mixed" but to my ears that's better than "sounding compressed".

When playing live bumpy notes are not such a big problem because of the natural instinct to adapt one's playing to make it work musically anyway. You kind of change the notes after a bit to make "the mistake" fit in with the context.

Playing bass in a live band on a Stick might call for compression - but that's not my department.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Last edited by Per Boysen on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery