It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

What do you want to learn? 

Which musical situations/styles are you looking for help in?
1. rock band - rhythm section 14%  14%  [ 23 ]
2. rock band - bass/lead 17%  17%  [ 28 ]
3. rock band - two-handed bass 9%  9%  [ 15 ]
4. rock solo - "one-man band" 15%  15%  [ 25 ]
5. jazz band - rhythm section 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
6. jazz band - bass and lead 5%  5%  [ 8 ]
7. jazz band - comping and lead 7%  7%  [ 11 ]
8. jazz solo 9%  9%  [ 15 ]
9. classical solo 8%  8%  [ 13 ]
10. pop accompaniment - supporting vocals 10%  10%  [ 17 ]
11. other - please elaborate 5%  5%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 169

What do you want to learn? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: What do you want to learn?
it's odd. i want to be able to play anything/everything. when im playing by myself i say "ok, i got this" then i sit down w another musician and all of a sudden, i dont got the chops for it. then its back to the rudiments involved with what im trying to do. so it's all about the technique involved. i dislike seeing some one say, "i want play (insert genre)" you have to know the vocabulary in order to know what you want to play. is it everything ive ever heard in my life filtered thru the electric jellyjar of my brain? i like your DVD Greg, but im not in a situation to be able to watch and play. (i dont even have a tv in my room/studio/practice area.) im thinkin about takin a ride out Long Island and sit my ass down w Steve Adleson (dont have skype and am in Jersey - sometimes the long way is the easy way). a teacher one-on one can anser yr questions when you say "i want to play this" and he'll say "well you gotta be able to do this" ...one-five-octave, one-five-six in the left hand (Linus and Lucy) and transverse movement in the right are my biggest problems-unlearning what my hand wants to do to what the fingers can do the easiest. Greg, your DVD shows that and it aplies to ALL genres. am i making any sense?

Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

anyone interested in how the Stick will fit in any ensemble read "Free Hands" read the vision of Emmett and what he believes the instrument can do. He wanted to do Hendrix, for cryin out loud...go for it, forget all preconceptions, pick musicians brains. PRACTICE. lock yourself in a closet and turn your amp all the way up. (SRV did it) play the fucking Stick

Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

SRV started out by copying Jimi Hendrix and then kept basing his playing on that foundation. Jimi on his side had pulled a similar "creative rip-off" on the delta blues and Chicago blues a decade before. On the Stick scene however, there is no such previous tradition to build on, so references to the guitar world isn't totally valid.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Last edited by Per Boysen on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:38 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
it's odd. i want to be able to play anything/everything. when im playing by myself i say "ok, i got this" then i sit down w another musician and all of a sudden, i dont got the chops for it. then its back to the rudiments involved with what im trying to do. so it's all about the technique involved. i dislike seeing some one say, "i want play (insert genre)" you have to know the vocabulary in order to know what you want to play. is it everything ive ever heard in my life filtered thru the electric jellyjar of my brain? i like your DVD Greg, but im not in a situation to be able to watch and play. (i dont even have a tv in my room/studio/practice area.) im thinkin about takin a ride out Long Island and sit my ass down w Steve Adleson (dont have skype and am in Jersey - sometimes the long way is the easy way). a teacher one-on one can anser yr questions when you say "i want to play this" and he'll say "well you gotta be able to do this" ...one-five-octave, one-five-six in the left hand (Linus and Lucy) and transverse movement in the right are my biggest problems-unlearning what my hand wants to do to what the fingers can do the easiest. Greg, your DVD shows that and it aplies to ALL genres. am i making any sense?
Marty, you are making sense. Sorry we can't hook up via skype, and I'm glad the DVD has material that resonates for you.

You don't have to be plugged in to work on the movements, though. Try playing unplugged. I definitely wanted the DVD to be universal, both for genres and tunings, so it works for all the typical variants of the 4ths melody and 5ths bass.

If you ever get video-conferencing set up, let me know... Steve is a very inspiring teacher, though our approaches to hand movement are pretty different, there's no reason you can't take material from everywhere and synthesize it into "Marty's technique"...

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:

If you ever get video-conferencing set up, let me know... Steve is a very inspiring teacher, though our approaches to hand movement are pretty different, there's no reason you can't take material from everywhere and
synthesize it into "Marty's technique"...

haha. it's definitely going there, Greg. Steve's book is good, has given me alot of info (more like Emmetts approach) than your book. but yeah, i dont play like that.(4 finger in r.h.) your DVD, however, is more up my alley. I MOVE. whatever happens first. im getting my license back, ill need a car, i need my own computer, skyping you would be great. but i keep meeting musicians. in the weirdest places (the healthfood store) sumthins gotta give. you guys are gonna hear me sooner or later...

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery