It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

Is it possible... 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Is it possible...
Is it possible to tune the melody a 4th higher? Essentially so that it starts with the tuning currently found on the 5th fret - or in other words tuning string one to F above middle C and moving down 4ths from there?

Has anyone done this?

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:13 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Is it possible...
The reason I asked this was because on the web page, it shows middle C as being on the 3rd string, 10th fret. http://www.stick.com/instruments/tunings/10/mr/

But now I'm confused, because on the sample music from Greg howard, shown here: http://www.stick.com/instruments/tunings/10/mr/

He shows middle C being played on the 5th string, 8th fret. But I that would be an octave down. So, does everyone just play melody an octave down from actual? Or am I missing something?

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:19 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Doc,

If you want to play in a higher range, your best option is a shorter scale instrument like the SG12 or Alto Stick. They are tuned a 5th higher (maximum) than the longer-scale instruments.

You can only tune the string so high on a long-scale instrument before it will break.

When we write music for the long scale instruments, we usually write it an octave above actual pitch. but the tuning charts show the actual pitch.

I hope that answers your question.

Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! That helps a lot.

I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out. I don't think I've ever been so intrigued by an instrument before. I can read music, play the piano and guitar a bit - nothing professional, just for my own enjoyment. This seems the best of both.

Can you explain something else for me? Why is the base side backwards? From reading the site, I understand the justification for 5ths tuning on the base side vs 4ths for the melody. But it seems like it be easier for me to wrap my head around it if it were truly reciprocal / mirror imaged, with the base going C G D A E with lowest note being on the outside and working left to right (like the melody does) rather than the opposite.

What kind of problems would this introduce if you were to set it up this way rather than the way it is?

Thanks again,

Bob

Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:27 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Bob,

You can certainly tune it in mirrored 4ths if you want. There are some great players who do this, most notably, Rob Martino.

If you are primarily interested in playing classical counterpoint lines and specific piano chord voicings, then this might be good tuning choice. The deficit is in range and "ease" of chording, range is especially an issue when you only have 5 bass strings in 4ths.

to understand the implications as far as chords go, I encourage you to check out this video, in case you haven't already:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TZi0qKzKCM[/youtube]

And you can read about Rob Martino's approach to chords in this article:

http://www.stick.com/articles/mirrored4ths/

Any vintage Stick from about 1994 on will accommodate either tuning, as long as it has the current bridge setup, so you aren't wedded to either one, ans can easily experiment if you like.

Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:38 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

The reversed order of the bass strings is easier to adjust to than it would seem. I would say try the lowest strings in the more typical centered location first for a while before converting to bass strings lowest to the outside. I nearly went with the stick bass which is closer to what you describe but I expected "more strings" to be a better choice. For me - I know the notes "go up" both ways from the center with the bass side an octave lower. (my first instrument is currently mirrored fourths - mirrored on the centerline like the mirrored piano tuning on a stick guitar).

deep red railboard grand

Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:56 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Greg,
That is very interesting, but not quite what I meant.

I wanted to maintain the base strings in 5ths intervals, but reverse the order of the strings- from C G D A E (6-10 working low to high, to E A D G C (6-10, working high to low)

From guitar I'm used to the low note being on the left - towards my head. I don't play bass guitar, but my son does and his first question was "why the base strings were "up-side-down".

All the tunings seem to have low notes in the center, and high notes on the out side. I was wondering why this is the case, and what problems are introduced if you did it the other way, with the low strings on side towards you for both bass half and melody half. This would produce a true mirror image to cord shapes... I don't know if that's good or bad.

Thanks again.

StickBam,
Thanks. I may just have to try it to really get it, and it may turn out to be a non-issue once it's in my hands. Right now I'm just trying to visualize it and understand it (may as well while I save up for it!) I confess I never really put this much thought into playing the guitar. Mostly just memorized chords and strummed... I tried melody, but it was never very intuitive to me, unlike the piano. (I'm not much of a guitarist, obviously)
With the stick, for the first time I am considering playing melody with one hand and chords with the other like I do on the piano... Which has made me thinking a lot more. Thanks again.

Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:11 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Bob, having the low notes in the center means the string group opens out more in the shape of the hand, especially with chords. Even with the left hand tuned in 5ths and the melody in 4ths, the arc of the fingertips fits the inside out tunings better.

Considering that the lowest string is likely to be played much more than the highest in a bass string group, not having to reach over the entire width of the board all the time is also a benefit. The hand can stay more relaxed.

Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Bob.
Theres a guy here on the forum, I believe his name is Andre Mueller but I may have spelled it wrong. He strings his Stick in the manner you have been talking about, with great success too.

Search through the showcase section to see if you can find his video.

cheers,
kev

Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Andre does it with tremendous result. He's a master at it. But take notice that most of the time he's not crossing the hands over the fingerboard. Plus he's an amazing guy, send him a PM, he will be happy to explain his approach better.

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:33 pm