It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 am

Scales Resource 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Scales Resource
I was poking around looking at Freak Kitchen, a prog metal band, and came upon some resources from the guitarist. If you get bored with the scales and modes you commonly know, try some of these:

http://www.freakguitar.com/scales.html

Enjoy!

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:13 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Scales Resource
Wow! As someone who equates doing scales with having to eat his vegetables, this is an awesome collection of vegetables! I really, really dug the inclusion of world tonalities apart from just our Western-centric ones (although there's one or two people in India rocking the semi-tones and non-12-tone scales) but there's lots to stimulate some creative Sticking there. Thanks!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

The link isn't working on the phone... Maybe it's for the best: not enough hours to practice all I have to.... As if there weren't enough scales as is :)

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:51 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Hmmm, so some scales just omit notes? Like owikanwa was major with no 6th I think. I can dig the concept but I thought I'd rather say like lydian with no 5th or something. Still I shall investigate, thanks yo :geek:

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:07 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Well, the pentatonic minor that rock musicians know and love is a reduction of a minor scale as well. The Okinawa skips the second and sixth, which makes me not a fan, as I like those notes. The Hirajoshi appears to be the minor variant of the Okinawa. Persian and Hungarian Minor look fun. Some of the scales appear longer than eight notes, such as arabian, auxiliary diminished blues, and moorish phrygian.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:34 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Uh-oh, slumming it with the filthy guitarists are we?

Really, there are only so many scales available. Pretty much everything useful can be derived from three scales, and their respective modes. Understand what chords take what tensions, and you are good to go...

Freak Kitchen is great, I have been a fan of IA for years. It's his tuning that really yields he "weirdness" though... (He's a huge Paul Gilbert fan...)

Major. Harmonic Minor. Melodic Minor. (Jazz Minor, same way ascending and descending...) their respective modes and harmonizations (chords/arpeggios) will yield everything you could ever need.

My philosophy is to know those 3, and all of their modes and harmony. From there, creating synthetic scales is pretty easy. Know your intervals... Know your arpeggios. Know your chords. Then you can add passing tones and whatnot. Which diminished scale you gonna play? WS-HS or HS-WS? And where is it appropriate?

E minor Pentatonic. Or G major Pentatonic... EGABD or GABDE now think about these notes... Is it any coincidence that guitars are tuned EADGBE? Any coincidence that of all the scales available, that one gets the most use...? Add a tritone and you get a blues scale... Etc etc...

Now do you want to call that E minor Pentatonic, or G major Pentatonic? Or Is it an Emin7add11 arpeggio? Or a G maj6/9 arpeggio? Is it a simplified minor scale or a chord?
The answer is that all of it is true. It's all about musical relationships.

I hate "over labelling" of stuff. It gets in the way of music I think... So yeah, take a look at the intervallic structure, and chances are good there is a less exotic naming convention. Also, don't forget the function of the chord you are playing this scale over... And as always, it has to groove!

Just my opinions, cool thread!

Now go listen to some Slayer. Exotic note choice 101. Bahaha (the best "worst band" ever)

Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:00 pm