It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:33 pm

New Railboard 8 dilemma.... 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: New Railboard 8 dilemma....
I know - it's terrible.... I've been driving myself crazy here !!

Well, I'll just communicate directly with Cambria once she figures things out, and that will be that.....

Yeah I agree - that headstock with the 8 tuners offset like that AND WITH THE TWO EXTRA HOLES PLUGGED that headstock looks so perfect, I had no idea the extra holes were plugged, I assumed the RB-8 had it's own headstock - but wow what a brilliant idea !!

I'm pulling the plug here now, been focusing too much time here which I need be spending otherwise.

Catch up with you soon.
As always thanks again for all your input :)

Cheers !!

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:00 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

We can drill more holes in the headstock.

BGW, I had no idea that the number of holes would create such a fuss. I guess you and Cambria will work it out. Also, the softer black epoxy fills can easily be drilled out anytime.

I think you've gotten caught away with the concept whereas (IMO) it's all about the music you can play on the board. Those concepts bear the fruit.

Good to know that the extra spacing between stereo string groups is OK with you, even in mono. I don't think it will pose a fingering problem and the overall sound will be improved.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:26 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Ha Ha !!

Against my better judgement, as I've had my 4 pints of Guinness being it is Saturday night... I decided to check in here to see where this lunacy has gone...

NO !! No more holes !! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! !!!!

I wish I never even visited this thread because then I would have never known about them, the extra holes... as ignorance is bliss :) :) :)

**At one point I was thinking that Grace should make the call.............

Yeah, that the extra spacing between stereo string groups is fine - that won't pose a problem one bit, no way.... as I noticed that in the pictures on the S.E. page right off the bat... not a problem one bit.
In fact, that was a selling point - and when I saw you offered Standard 4ths, I mused gee, maybe 5th's is possible - and thanks to ixlramp with his winning combination earlier in this thread, it turns out that it is.

Funny enough, I do like chorus on the top end but not the bottom, so again this totally works...

And you are right, in the end - it is all about the music.

I come across people stressing about effects, huge pedal boards... and in the end, it is indeed all about the music - hence why I run mono 99% of the time, because simplicity is golden with me :)

The poor individuals stressing over string gauges - that's a whole 'nother ball of wax....

Every now and then I come across some kind and gentile soul suggesting a literal cable for a string gauge, and all I can do is thing of how hard it is to properly amplify a - say my 1968 Fender Precision Bass with original Fender Flatwounds - properly... because that open E, that's a nice deep tone in itself....

I so love that particular instrument, that one and my battered 1960 Fender Jazz w/an old fretless [which I converted ala Jaco....] Schecter neck.... man, we're talking tone like no other !!

So, all is goods.

I can sleep well knowing that my RB-8 will be the bee's knees come springtime 2020.

I'm pretty confident Cambria will get a hold of me this up coming week, so we an work out the $$$$$$$$$$ details, etc... all that good stuff....

Did she tell you I bought like $300.00 worth of CDs which S.E. had available ??
*Like literally ever one that was in stock, more or less......

Cambria mentioned to me that this was the biggest CD order ever.
That has got to count for something !!

I am still hoping against all odds that I find a copy of Greg's instructional video out there somewhere, either on VHS of DVD....

Cheers Emmett.

Know that this Big Dumb Country Boy [*taken out of N.Y.C.] is your number one fan.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:39 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

The head stock on the Railboard just bolts on. Do the 10 string and 8 string head stocks have the same bolt pattern? If so, just change the head stock if you want to go back and forth from 8 to 10. You'll be buying other parts anyway to do the conversion. What's one more? :)

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:36 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

The headstock on the Railboards is completely universal - they just fill in the holes which are not to be used.

They are all exactly the same.

All the headstocks come pre-drilled, and depending on which version you want dictates which holes get plugged.

So, this kind of threw me.

Tell you what, had that NS Stick that's on Reverb - that green one ?? - come up for sale this time last week, we would not be having this conversation here....

That's a real good one too - graphite neck.
Seems they are coming up for sale quite a bit now for some reason....

But on the other hand, the 8 string Railboard to me is the perfect design, with just the right amount of strings, and when set up in the Crafty tuning - covers the entire spectrum of notes which can be properly amplified.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:58 am