It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:23 pm

Learning two hand tapping on standard tuning sb8 

Post Learning two hand tapping on standard tuning sb8
So I'm considering picking up a SB8. Its tuned normally from low to high across the board like an 8 string bass. I'm having trouble finding any learning material for methods of two hand tapping on it. Yes, i already know the note layouts, but from a bass playing approach, not a free hands approach. What is out there to learn playing this setup? Or .. should I retune it with center out stringing?

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:32 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Learning two hand tapping on standard tuning sb8
I would ask myself the question "why do I want a Stick?" If it's to explore FreeHands in 4ths/5ths tuning sb8 ain't gonna do it. None of the Sticks are a substitute for an extended range bass - different animals. This opinion coming from an upright/electric/8/5/6 fretted/frettless bass player throwing myself into Stickdom w/ what was available at the time - 10-string Ironwood, and teaching materials available - FreeHands. (the salesman@SamAshNYC said "Good luck".) Emmett offered the SB7 shortly thereafter but I didn't bite. I play original music on my Stick because It's the only instrument I can play it on. I play a bass guitar when I want it to sound like a Bass guitar. Anyway, The Stick is It's Own Animal...What Do YOU Want to Do with It? And for the record, I'm not trying to be an asshole I had back surgery this week and am Grateful I can play ANYTHING. Merry Christmas to All and don't let family obligations screw with WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:38 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Well, I can always restring it in a classic stick manner, which I will probably eventually do, but I'm asking basically how anyone learned to use one strung traditional instrument style while two hand tapping.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:56 am
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't tried an SB8 but I imagine you would apply regular free hands techniques to it. Try watching some of Greg's instructional vids, I found guidance in them https://youtu.be/z-xntSm8EUs

If you're coming from a bass background you have the advantage of already knowing chords ands scales on the thing, you've just gotta get used to the way it feels. I started playing an N/S Stick and found that the left hand lives on the lower 4 Bass strings and the right hand controls the higher 4 Melody strings. You're either using each hand to play different parts independently or using one hand as a slave to extend/augment voiceing from the other hand. I'll camp my left hand on a bass scale but play chords with my right hand 2 or 3 octaves up in the same key. I use the 12th fret as reference to find root notes for my right hand (I apologise if none of this makes any sense...)

I might make a video idk

Hope I could be of some help

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:37 am
Contributor
Contributor

Learning an 8 string Stick in fourths is not a problem even if there is no specific learning material for it. I think you are being over-concerned and underestimating your own intelligence and resourcefulness

Most of the technique material, which is tuning-independent, still applies.
The material for the melody side of a 2-region Stick still applies because it is also non-inverted fourths.
There is not much left over for you to work out for yourself, only the pitches at each position (which you already know) and the usage of 2/3 extra melody strings, these aspects are relatively quite minor.

Learning an instrument is not 100% dependent on learning material, it mostly comes from yourself and your own understanding.

I strongly encourage you to play whatever tuning is right for you and not let the availability of learning material affect your choice of tuning.
A problem, in my opinion, of splitting 8 strings into 2 regions is that you have now changed a neutral full-range instrument into 2 instruments with very limited range. If you are going to play 2 regions you are better off with a 10 or 12 string Stick.

AnDroiD, a SB8 or RB8 is very different from an extended range bass and Free Hands still very much applies to those.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:12 pm

I guess what my hangups is is if it's strung normal as opposed to center out then all the chord structure and fingering placement for notes are reversed from the natural hand shapes and note placements for all the instructional materials online.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:13 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

ixlramp wrote:
AnDroiD, a SB8 or RB8 is very different from an extended range bass and Free Hands still very much applies to those.
AnDroiD wrote:
None of the Sticks are a substitute for an extended range bass - different animals.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

IMHO, If you are going to buy a Stick, and you play bass, I would get a 10 string Grand tune dual bass reciprocal, and learn to play it in that tuning. That way you will still have a bass guitar to play, and the Stick will force you into thinking outside the box with new bass line approaches. I did this, and I use the Stick as a tool that works great.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:36 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

eyeballkid wrote:
So I'm considering picking up a SB8. Its tuned normally from low to high across the board like an 8 string bass. I'm having trouble finding any learning material for methods of two hand tapping on it. Yes, i already know the note layouts, but from a bass playing approach, not a free hands approach. What is out there to learn playing this setup? Or .. should I retune it with center out stringing?

I'm bypassing all the comments here just to tell you that I've watched [on video] Trey Gunn doing a marvelous job with the K.C. Double Trio playing a Warr 8 string touch guitar - doing two hand tapping [or touching...] and I was blown away by it enough to order a brand new Railboard 8 set up in Crafty Tuning, which will be completed once it is completed... as I specifically asked Cambria to tell Emmett that there is absolutely no rush for completion, as this will be my flagship instrument, and belive me - I have a long way to go before I am even worthy to hold it.

So, yes.... not a problem doing two handed tapping on a SB-8, but I suggest if you have not done so - again, I bypassed all the comments - I suggest putting your SB-8 into a Crafty tuning, which LOL someone complained about not being able to play proper chords without using both hands, to which I replied well, that's the point ain't it :) :)

Cheers !!

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:03 pm
Contributor
Contributor

AnDroiD, sorry, i probably misunderstood you.

eyeballkid wrote:
I guess what my hangups is is if it's strung normal as opposed to center out then all the chord structure and fingering placement for notes are reversed from the natural hand shapes and note placements for all the instructional materials online.

Not really, because the whole instrument becomes one big melody side, so you apply melody side learning material to it. Of course, now you have 2 hands available for the melody region, which brings new possibilities, easier chord and melody playing, healthier technique, and you can still play 2 independent parts if you want.
Chords for the left hand take on the shapes that occur on a standard guitar, so are still playable.

rclere, i get the impression that eyeballkid actually wants a full range instrument, not a double bass instrument (?).

Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:57 pm