It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:30 pm

What is this? I'm confused (triplet notation) 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post What is this? I'm confused (triplet notation)
For some time now, I have been describing what you see below as "Eighth-note-triplets". I've watched a couple of YouTube vids recently where they seemed to refer to them as "quarter-note triplets". One, obviously would refer to the note value used to depict the triplet (in this case, eighth-notes), the other would refer to the time value for the entire triplet (1 beat in X/4 time).

Is this one of those toe-may-toe/toe-mah-toe things or is there a "correct" way to reference tuplets - based on their notation or based on the time value being subdivided into the tuplets?

Thanks!

Attachment:
Triplet_Q.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Sat May 22, 2021 4:53 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post What is this? I'm confused (triplet notation)
In MuseScore , you would make a ‘quarter note triplet’ to get the triplet 3-tuple with an eighth note type stave that’s spans a quarter note . I’m note completely sure what the official name of that entity is. I call it a quarter note triplet though [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sat May 22, 2021 5:29 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: What is this? I'm confused (triplet notation)
That's an eighth note triplet in which you're fitting three eighth notes into what would usually be the span of two eighth notes. A quarter note triplet would be, for example, a measure of 4/4 containing a half note followed by a grouping of three quarter notes.

I've heard it referred to as a quarter note triplet using the rationale that it fits into the space of a single quarter note. I find that more confusing as there is no visible quarter note in the span and I've never heard it described that way in my studies (early grade school through university).

With all that said though, the end result is the same as far as your ears go and the most important part is, of course, that you play/notate it correctly.

Sun May 23, 2021 8:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: What is this? I'm confused (triplet notation)
gpoorman wrote:
That's an eighth note triplet in which you're fitting three eighth notes into what would usually be the span of two eighth notes...
I've heard it referred to as a quarter note triplet using the rationale that it fits into the space of a single quarter note. I find that more confusing as there is no visible quarter note in the span and I've never heard it described that way in my studies (early grade school through university).

Thanks, Glenn. That's the way I've always thought of it. I'm assuming the times recently that I've heard it described as "quarter-note triplets" the speaker may have mis-spoken and not realized it. Describing them as eighth-note triplets makes more sense. In drumming, I first encountered sixteenth-note triplets that occupy the same temporal space as an eighth note, but different instrumental disciplines sometimes interpret things differently. As a guitarist, I'm used to seeing a swing feel notated as eighth-note triplets (or 12/8), never as dotted quarter or a combination of an eighth followed by a sixteenth, yet in drumming either one accompanied by a "swing" notation interprets those as I would with eighth-note triplets or 12/8 if notating it for guitar.

gpoorman wrote:
With all that said though, the end result is the same as far as your ears go and the most important part is, of course, that you play/notate it correctly.

Heh. I tell my drum teacher that sometimes I feel like I was born playing triplets! :lol:

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Sun May 23, 2021 12:18 pm