It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:40 am

12-String Tuning: Classic Melody with "Deep" Bass? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post 12-String Tuning: Classic Melody with "Deep" Bass?
Hello Stickists,

Continuing some thoughts about tunings from the recent "High-Bass 4ths" thread...

When exploring the tuning options on SE's site, I came across other 12-String Grand tunings that I'm interested in combining and am wondering if anyone has experience with this:

Combining the Classic tuning on the melody side with the Deep (whole step down) tuning on the bass side (w/high-bass 4th).

12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
G D G C F Bb C# F# B E A D

In theory I think this would extend the range of the 12-string grand, which is what I'm looking for - as wide a range as is possible.

Are there any disadvantages of combining the two, such has hands constantly colliding or crossing? Comparing this with my current MR 10-string tuning, this tuning would lower my right-hand position by a whole-step and raise my left-hand position by a whole step.

Are there any other tuning options that could extend the range of the 12-string grand? I'm looking for the most practical way to have the widest range possible (low-high). If the current "standard" tuning options for the 12-string are the way to go, that's fine, just looking to see if there's a way to do this.

Thanks,
Ted

#5484 Padauk 12 String Grand Stick, PASV-4 MR
#5727 Osage Orange 10 String Stick, PASV-4 MR

- Ted

Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: 12-String Tuning: Classic Melody with "Deep" Bass?
Hi Ted,

No worries about hand collision, because the melody strings go low enough. Yes you would have maximum range for a 36"-scale instrument with good string behavior for tapping.

What you would lose over the Classic tuning is the inlay correspondence for he values of the notes. In Classic tuning the melody strings at the 3rd inlay are:

D
A
E
B
F#
C#

in the bass strings at the first inlay they are also

D
A
E
B
F#
C#

So you'll be learning a different pattern in relation to the inlays for both sides, but that's not really that bad. In fact you will have a really nice note pattern at the first inlay in the bass:

C
G
D
A
E
B

So I say go for it! You can easily set the instrument up for a different tuning yourself down the road if you don't like it.

You can try the extremes out on your 10-string ahead of time just to see if you think what you will gain will be "worth it".

Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery