It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:34 pm

Tappy New Year from Free Hands Academy 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Tappy New Year from Free Hands Academy
Looking forward to a big beautiful new year and a renewed sense of musical purpose.

A few notes from the FHA on Reverb sales of the Chapman Stick:

1. I am working directly with as many Reverb sellers of Chapman Sticks as I can to ensure that they are listing their instruments fairly and accurately.

2. I have been working directly with Reverb to remove the words "The Natural" from all Stick listings. They still have quotes around "Chapman" Stick, which is annoying, but it's a work in progress

3. I have requested and received acknowledgement that Stick Enterprises will be listed as the manufacturer of Chapman Sticks to delineate them from other teflon instruments.

A few other notes would include:

4. I have found a volunteer to pick up the Chapman Stick and play it for a year. He's an 18-year old cello player that is also active in the robotics community. Hoping we can do some informal videos as he is such a great fit for this experiment.

5. I was delighted and proud to again have had the opportunity to work with Victor Bruhn and Claire Steger on Tap in Time, the longest running podcast on the Chapman Stick. While we only had a quarterly offering this year, they were great sessions including our 2023 finale which was a tribute to THE Greg Howard, I am hopeful we will be able to ride again in 2024.

6. I was able to produce 3 months of Free Hands Friday weekly offerings for 2023, but lost steam right about the time we lost Greg. I know he would want me to go on, so I will.

7. I have re-established contact with John Taggart, the original manufacturer and architect of the TAGG interface. He is open to allowing us to use this design for future interfaces.

8. Steve Sawyer crafted the most PERFECT version of the TAGG and sent me one - it is ready for prime time and I'm so hopeful we can find a way to do limited runs of these in 2024.

9. The last FHA event was a tribute to Emmett Chapman with Gary Jibilian and Rachel Flowers. While there were no FHA events in 2023. I am hopeful that smaller more regionalized Stick Meetups can be arranged in Southern California that will be free to attend.

9. I am in the planning phase of a performance in Portugal with Rodrigo Searrao and perhaps a few others in November.

10. I have been enjoying the occasional Saturday morning Chapman Stick Zoom chat and encourage players new and old to attend and collaborate.

There is no other musical community as strong, as unique and creative as ours. Let's make 2024 a year to remember.

Happy new year,

Gene

Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Tappy New Year from Free Hands Academy
Happy New Year and thank you for everything you do Gene!

Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:04 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great to see so many projects and ideas for 2024. Keep us especially informed about your thing with Rodriguo, might be interesting for EU players.
Still hoping for a major european meeting at some point in Spain, Netherlands or elsewhere!

Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Happy, healthy, creative New Year Gene. And that sentiment goes out to all who to take that leap of faith with their Chapman Stick , searching for sonic bliss and inner gratification.
Thank you Stick Enterprises!

Steve Adelson

Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Happy New Year, Gene!

#5484 Padauk 12 String Grand Stick, PASV-4 MR
#5727 Osage Orange 10 String Stick, PASV-4 MR

- Ted

Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Dear power brother Gene.

Thanks for such a beautiful roundup of what's happening. It looks like stick activities are a plenty this year and time seems to be saying, (in a good way), "do it now."

Lots of sticky regards to the global fam bam.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Wow, so many great ideas and projects!
Happy New Year, Gene!

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2
Rosewood ALTO #5686 Stickup

Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:34 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Gene-- As a noob I was unaware of the existence of a Zoom chat. Can you provide details? Thanks....

Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:42 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

adouglas wrote:
Gene-- As a noob I was unaware of the existence of a Zoom chat. Can you provide details? Thanks....

More details about the zoom chat here:
https://www.stickmusic.com/live-video-streaming

Unfortunately, I never managed to participate myself ...

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2
Rosewood ALTO #5686 Stickup

Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:28 am