It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:00 pm

Free Hands Friday #68 - REVERB 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Free Hands Friday #68 - REVERB
Hi Stick friends, this Friday, January 8 at 12pm PDT, we'll be taking a closer look at Reverb for the Chapman Stick on Free Hands Friday #68. There has been a lot of discussion about the Strymon Big Sky, of which we will cover in some detail, but we'll also talk about some options specifically for the Chapman Stick and what to consider with your current unit and what to look for in a new unit. Are their other Reverb pedals you want to see reviewed? Features? Sound off and we'll be sure to take that in to consideration. Other questions might include:

Should I use reverb on the bass side?
Which parameter should I control with the expression pedal?
What should one expect to pay for a reverb pedal?
What is the Freeze option?

Feel free to reply to this message to be included in the session - thanks in advance for your time, hope to see you on Friday!

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Free Hands Friday #68 - REVERB
Oh please count me in for this one. Other things I d like to discover about reverb.

- Id like to know about any reverbs that might be used as plug ins. anyone using software like mainstage ? What else is out there?
- I wanted to utilize a soft step 2 pedal some day to control all my pedals so Im leaning towards midi pedals. I know that there are other midi pedals but what other brands are out there?
- I m trying to get my head around how to use the two sides of the stick and how to separate them at times and use them together. That puzzles me as Im new to this.
- Whats the difference between expression pedals and wah pedals and you can use a wah pedal as an expression pedal if you use a trs cable that has 2 mono ends I believe but ive not tried this. -I assume stickists need stereo pedals or else they have to get 2 separate pedals. one for each side. or do you go mono out with your pickup block?

Thanks for starting FHF these are always awesome to watch. This topic should be great.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:21 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jzzb8ovn wrote:
- Id like to know about any reverbs that might be used as plug ins. anyone using software like mainstage ? What else is out there?
- I wanted to utilize a soft step 2 pedal some day to control all my pedals so Im leaning towards midi pedals. I know that there are other midi pedals but what other brands are out there?
- I m trying to get my head around how to use the two sides of the stick and how to separate them at times and use them together. That puzzles me as Im new to this.
- Whats the difference between expression pedals and wah pedals and you can use a wah pedal as an expression pedal if you use a trs cable that has 2 mono ends I believe but ive not tried this. -I assume stickists need stereo pedals or else they have to get 2 separate pedals. one for each side. or do you go mono out with your pickup block?

I would request that we start another thread for plugins. I hope you don't mind me limiting the scope of this discussion to reverb pedals.

To get separation for both sides of the Stick, you have some options, which we will discuss. Unless you are looking at a rack solution, which we are not in the context of this discussion, you will need two pedals OR a mixer with an AUX out.

An expression varies. Some manufacturers do not require a TRS cable,others do. In the case of most Strymon pedals, you will require a TRS cable but it's always a best practice to check with the manufacturer.

Each expression pedal will have different options - some are dedicated expression pedals, some are volume pedals (or wah pedals) that can be used as an expression pedal. We will certainly cover that as the option to use an expression pedal in conjunction with delay or reverb can add a lot of dimension to your sound.

As far as separating them or using a stereo pedal - just start with 1:1 pedal to side of Stick ratio. That's how I see it anyway.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

count me in please Gene

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:05 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Gene.
All you have to do is call, and I'll be there....you've got a friend.

Its -14C/7F here right now. I'm wearing my Canada Goose parka in the house. I would like to join this hangout just to live vicariously in your Temecula garage,.....

cheers,
Phrostee

Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thats amazing timing , I was in a guitar shop yesterday looking at revert pedals!
Good topic, and recalling my days as an teacher in an audio school I reckon a good start might just be an quick overview of the common parameters reverbs are built around in order to replicate a "space", things like pre-delay, decay damping across various frequencies and so on. And types, Spring, plate and so on .
Having been on the hunt I was amazed how many reverb pedals are out there now from usual suspects like Boss, Strymon etc through to all the smaller Boutique brands, you could fill a house with them.

Looking forward to seeing this one. ( Still wish I'd never sold my Lexicon PCM 80, best rack FX in the universe, with ultra lush verbs ! ) :ugeek:

And Kev, about 30 C here on average.....

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

earthgene wrote:
Hi Stick friends, this Friday, January 8 at 12pm PDT, we'll be taking a closer look at Reverb for the Chapman Stick on Free Hands Friday #68. There has been a lot of discussion about the Strymon Big Sky, of which we will cover in some detail, but we'll also talk about some options specifically for the Chapman Stick and what to consider with your current unit and what to look for in a new unit. Are their other Reverb pedals you want to see reviewed? Features? Sound off and we'll be sure to take that in to consideration. Other questions might include:

Should I use reverb on the bass side?
Which parameter should I control with the expression pedal?
What should one expect to pay for a reverb pedal?
What is the Freeze option?

Feel free to reply to this message to be included in the session - thanks in advance for your time, hope to see you on Friday!

Gene, I just want you to know that I love my big sky reverb pedal it truly is an amazing pedal, that I do suggest running through your effects loop for amazing uncluttered lush reverb.even though I was using my phone to record you can hear how ambient and musical the big sky can sound on my you tube vids at Mick Meyers Chapman stick channel on youtube I am using the big sky on the melody side of my stickup. the saddest song is my version of an old seventy sevens song from the eighties.Dean P liked it.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:50 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great posts here. We can do a quick feature run down on the Big Sky, but there's SO many videos of guys out there stepping through all the presets.

So, I will save you the trouble (grin) - this video will be more focused on ideas on how to use a reverb unit with the Chapman Stick. Lots of options and great to hear lots of opinions. We'll do a bit on multi effects units as well, maybe Kev can show off some of the settings he uses with his HD500x? Boaz, what are you using for reverb these days?

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I like the REV-X Reverb on the Steinberg UR44.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/807779/Steinberg-Ur44.html?page=20

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:37 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

well Gene , i'm using the RVRB in the GT-6B for the bass side
and all kinds of RVRBs on the ZOOM -GT100BT

above all that i'm adding a bit RVRB on the bulit in CUBE STREET EX amp

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails