It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:18 am

Free Hands Friday in review - Tom Griesgraber 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Free Hands Friday in review - Tom Griesgraber
Thanks for all the very positive feedback Stick friends. This Friday is especially exciting for me as Don was my teacher back in the day. Don't let the boyish good looks and charm fool you - Don Schiff is the real thing. A good songwriter, Stick Player, singer and a nice person to know who can always, and I do mean always, bring a smile to your face.

NS Nation, don't miss Friday's fun!

Mon May 05, 2014 5:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I just caught up; I will try to make it Friday, but do not reserve me a seat.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 05, 2014 5:27 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Free Hands Friday in review - Tom Griesgraber
Wow, I might actually be able to make it to this next one. I'll have to see if the hotel where I'll be staying will have good enough wifi.

Steven on Youtube
Steven on Sound Cloud

Mon May 05, 2014 6:11 pm
Contributor
Contributor

And I should mention: Tom is one of my favorite stickists. I think his album with Bert is a great showcase for guitar/stick duet music. I had to explain to several people already that, no, there really are only two musicians on this album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steven on Youtube
Steven on Sound Cloud

Mon May 05, 2014 6:14 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi everyone,

Thanks much to Dave and Gene for setting that up. It was fun!

As for the extra thoughts here....

Randy, Steven (and all!) thanks for the kind reviews. We need to find you guys jobs at major media outlets ;-) Randy.. I think you kind of summarized my goals in music. I get fascinated by things like unusual grooves, textures, layers, melodies... and am really a fan of anyone who just seems to be "clever" in music. I like it when people can say a lot with just a little. I like being surprised, but not feeling like I have to pull out old school textbooks to understand what's happening. I can appreciate musical "olympians" but I guess I've never really aspired to be one ;-)

On a side note (more details elsewhere).. I've been trying to come up with ways to explain my approach to things like expression, melodies, grooves, time and harmony in recent years, and I guess first started sharing them in detail with Stick players at the last SD seminar. Hoping to dive into it more fully at the upcoming Vancouver seminar!

On Peterson... I think the software app is about the only model of theirs I don't have. I use the rackmount in the studio, and have it mounted right below my monitor speakers, so it's mic picks up anything I need to check. I've used the stroboflip for years, and the clip on is great for most things but doesn't quite pick up every string on the Stick. Now on the wish list: the app and the strobostomp. The rackmount version actually has a TRS input so you can run both sides of teh Stick into it at once if you like. Some of the units also have DI's on the back that are quite clean. They're also doing some interesting things with metronomes too, like having "vibrate" features along with clicks.. and they can sync several units together via bluetooth. Technically you can have a whole ensemble "feeling" the pulse. Hmmmm....

One company that's been a lifesaver and that I oddly forgot to mention (Dave caught me off guard with that question!) is Furman. For anyone who (like me) uses the old Boss SE-70's, a word to the wise.. when the incoming voltage is low, maybe even just around 109volts, they start to brown out, causing all kinds of strange distortions. A little lower voltage and synth setups start to go odd (even playing their own notes). Furman to the rescue... Also, something really cool for anyone that uses tube amps.. check out their P-1800 PF. The unit stores current in advance, so that as you play with varying dynamics, the amp always has what it needs. Standard AC lines can't keep up with the speed of the draw for things like tube guitar and bass amps. I've been amazed at the change in tone I'm getting out of things like a Fender Deluxe Reverb and Twin. Just don't leave the P-1800 on overnight as if it was a power strip, it seems to draw about 4amps continuously (I left it on for a few days and saw it on the electric bill. yikes!)

Gene asked during the chat about looping and I talked about timing. That video with Jerry is a fun example. If you listen carefully, I think I actually played the looped section twice, probably because it didn't track the first time (bad button press) or I just didn't like the first pass. Jerry did an amazingly quick job of realizing I was doing a "second take".. right around 3:32 he does one hit that sounds like the next section, then realizes what's happening and stays on his current pattern. Nice to have bandmates with ears and quick reflexes ;-)

Oh and Dan... it's yoga ;-) Bert and Paul from CGT dragged me to it years ago.. Bert is really consistent about it and got me going the same way. We're pretty funny traveling together.. usually going into studios on the road almost every day, instruments in hand to keep them out of the car.. and dropping off flyers and CDs as thank you's on the way out! ;)

Thanks again all!

Tom

Tue May 06, 2014 3:46 pm