It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:29 pm

Free Hands Friday #44 - Stick Tunings 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Free Hands Friday #44 - Stick Tunings
This Friday will be another fun-filled FHF cause we're talking about the many various types of Chapman Stick tunings!

With a catalog of over 32 tunings across six different Chapman Stick models, not to mention custom tunings, there is plenty to talk about. And we are in for a treat as we are being joined by Greg Howard. Greg will walk us through the evolution of the various different tunings SE has to offer, some history on why the instrument is tuned the way it is and some other benefits of the inverted fifths tuning on the left hand side.

Please feel free to join, drop a reply to this thread and we will be sure to include an invite to you through your g+ account. If you haven't already added the Free Hands Academy to your circles, please do so and we'll be sure to add you back to keep you updated on all the latest news and videos on the Chapman Stick.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Free Hands Friday #44 - Stick Tunings
Thanks for setting this up, Gene.

One of the coolest things about The Sticks design and adjustable hardware is that it makes experimenting with tunings quite easy. So we'll talk a little bit about what's involved with changing your tuning.

Additionally, I plan to talk a little about the high bass 4th tuning on Grand Sticks, as well as the functional differences between Classic, MR and Baritone Melody on the 10-string.

Plus...I've also just got a 10-string instrument set up in Emmett's new Raised Matched Reciprocal tuning. so there will lots and lots to discuss.

Looking forward to it!

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

My favorite tuning is "in".

Rosewood Alto #5764

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:08 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Nice!!! Will try to check it out...

https://www.facebook.com/rulyongo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQk_6T ... rOoBXeHHUA

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I hope someone addresses the downside of all of these alternate tunings which can lead to a non-unified approach to attempt to learning the Stick. I can't tell you how many seminars I taught or attended in my formative years, where people floundered and fumbled while you said "OK everybody find a "c".

I have seen the same issues arise on the guitar side. I discussed this with Laurence Juber, incredible fingerstyle guitarist and formerly with Paul McCartney and Wings, at Interlochen, regarding the brilliance of Nick Drake, and yet he still resides in almost obscurity cult status. Nick Drake would have had to take, it was estimated, at least 17 different guitars to his gigs to play one set, therefore there were very few live performances. Thank God the few music sheets to "Pink Moon" or "Riverman" address these alternate tunings and give chord diagrams to learn his wonderful songs. Guitarists can understand a drop "D" tuning and can hear it in Tom Petty's music, and even figure out that a DADGAD tuning was used if see no chords just a couple of notes being played, but hearing chords, as so it is assumed this is the default alternate tuning to go to.

No such luck looking just looking at a Stick and seeing fingers flying. As another poster properly pointed out, there are no open strings on the Stick, therefore no reference point as to what tuning is being used.

I hope to tune in and be enlightened, and find out why 15 years ago I was chastized for saying "standard tuning" when the new hip PC term was "classic tuning"! :D

Gene good choice of topic, and Greg I always look forward to hearing from you,
Dave B "DBro"

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

So when will we have the bass amp discussion?!

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:01 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

dbrosky wrote:
I hope someone addresses the downside of all of these alternate tunings which can lead to a non-unified approach to attempt to learning the Stick. I can't tell you how many seminars I taught or attended in my formative years, where people floundered and fumbled while you said "OK everybody find a "c".

I have seen the same issues arise on the guitar side. I discussed this with Laurence Juber, incredible fingerstyle guitarist and formerly with Paul McCartney and Wings, at Interlochen, regarding the brilliance of Nick Drake, and yet he still resides in almost obscurity cult status. Nick Drake would have had to take, it was estimated, at least 17 different guitars to his gigs to play one set, therefore there were very few live performances. Thank God the few music sheets to "Pink Moon" or "Riverman" address these alternate tunings and give chord diagrams to learn his wonderful songs. Guitarists can understand a drop "D" tuning and can hear it in Tom Petty's music, and even figure out that a DADGAD tuning was used if see no chords just a couple of notes being played, but hearing chords, as so it is assumed this is the default alternate tuning to go to.

No such luck looking just looking at a Stick and seeing fingers flying. As another poster properly pointed out, there are no open strings on the Stick, therefore no reference point as to what tuning is being used.

I hope to tune in and be enlightened, and find out why 15 years ago I was chastized for saying "standard tuning" when the new hip PC term was "classic tuning"! :D

Gene good choice of topic, and Greg I always look forward to hearing from you,
Dave B "DBro"
Yowsa, Dave, sounds like a proper agenda!

As to the "standard" vs. "Classic" issue, when Emmett came up with Matched Reciprocal as tuning, he really wanted to emphasize the benefits of that tuning's hand position relationships over his original 10-string tuning, so rather than say one was the "standard" tuning, we decided that Classic would suit for the original. So there is no "standard" tuning (and it sounds like that's your beef), which, in my opinion is a god thing because it encourages people to try new things and find what suits them best.

I would never had alighted on Baritone Melody three months into my Stick journey had I not been willing to take the chance offered by a broken high D string... I just moved the remaining melody strings over one position and added a lower 4th. voila! The perfect tuning for me (and if I remember correctly, for you, too, yes? :) )

So don't despair too much over these tunings. I see no downside. Almost all of them have the same bass string arrangements, especially as we kept the inlay reference consistent when Emmett added the X-tra fret on the 36" scale instruments.

But identifying where the notes are in any given tuning will be something we will discuss on Friday for sure. I hope you can join us...

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Greg,
thanks for the reply!
Yes, would love to be there. Gene please send me an invite.
Dave B "DBro"

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Good topic - I'm keen to join in please.

James Byles

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:56 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Just in case there is some benefit to repeating it here, I want in.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:28 pm