It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:55 pm

Free Hands Friday #51 - OCEANS IN SPACE 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Free Hands Friday #51 - OCEANS IN SPACE
It was inevitable that our paths would collide with the great ghost hunter of the north. The Chapman Stick and NS Stick phenomenon, known as OCEANS IN SPACE, has made his presence known and we are planning for the arrival of the mothership this Friday, April 3.

In addition to the Stick and NS Stick, Oceans actively writes and records Stick music, so I am hopeful he will share some thoughts on that process. As well, we'll dig into his forays in looping and improvisation - which he does so well.

You can see some of Oceans work on the Stick Concert DVD or out there on youtube. He also worked at Stick Enterprises, so some of the astrology work he did with Emmett will be a discussion point. Creative, compelling and always original, this is an FHF not to miss!

Hope to see you Friday at 12pm PST on the Free Hands Academy g+ hangout on air. Be sure to drop a line here to be included in the discussion.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Free Hands Friday #51 - OCEANS IN SPACE
Holy smokes, Oceans is going OFF the rails with planning for this. I am expecting an excellent session. Lots of insider bits, techniques and (spooky voice) SCAAAAARY ideas for most excellent and creative Stick playing.

Oceans. Friday. It's going to be a good time.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Ok, so game on. First I want to say thanks so much, and am so honored. We will have a good time and I aim to pass on some cool Stick and NS stuff. Anyway, I am not worthy ;)

This FHF comes at a great time. I am moving to a new pad and kinda resetting my musical brain and rig in a sense. I have been thinking a lot about how I learn efficiently, and what has been helpful to me personally. It will help me organize my mind and how I play, as I don't ponder that too often. I am a space brain though so whoever hosts should keep me on the rails ok.

On 10 string stick, one aspect of my basic style is basically treating the instrument as 'one' with alternating notes between right and left hands. At first like a typewriter but then it gets better/ more organic sounding ( I hope ).Also I can share some interweaving concepts that may be useful.

I also love L.H motors, that is a huge aspect for me. I hope we can share some motors with the focus on it feeling "comfy". A lot of this has to do with motion which Greg Howard is a master at, and I'm not sure I have that part down! :lol: Alas, I seek ergonomic comfort, which at first might be just doing a motor on a power chord and all the permutations of that. And of course make it sound cool/groove or swing whatever. So any way I have lots of seemingly simple stick ideas that I know I didn't invent per say but maybe I focus on them more than some? Like the dissonant stuff or maybe looping?

Also, if the stars align I may just share how augmenting the diminished is accomplished. It is top secret harmonic knowledge that was passed down from sacred geometry.

So, I am not claiming I can teach like a normal teacher. Or that I have the best method at all, so tips on how to articulate in conversation will be nice .The art of teaching is something I am learning for sure! Sounds funny right? I think pedagogy is the word?
I did teach at a high school for sober kids (2 years) though so I learned ALOT from that.
Learning is more meaningful if you always try to have fun with it. Maybe you absorb it more when you apply something the teacher does and play it in your own style.

Also, NS stick has been a focus for the last year. Guitar interval tuning. I have a lil ebook with charts and tabs that I am working on, with some basic theory. Working title is "The 8 string NS Stick: a hybrid approach" Not official or anything. This is about using more fingerpicking and slapping and jaco attempts :lol: . And then mixing that with tapping and being able to swap from each technique in a dope sounding manner. Without it sounding forced, which it can at first.

So I will have both axes for the session.

Are there any subjects or questions before hand?
I just want to be over prepared to make the most of this.

Then of course have the zen and free time too.

Let me know if you have any tips or questions,
ben (aka Oceans)

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:09 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Woah Woah Woah! Save it for Friday, Ben! :D

I've been graciously asked by Gene (f u f f) to host this session, so I'll be in touch this week and we can go over all what you want to cover, and it sounds like it's a bunch!

You folks out there are not going to want to miss this one!

Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Sounds like a good time. I can be there.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:05 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I will be there, but I may be out of it.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:53 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yes! With our man of the midwest residing ANDYJPRO! Looking forward to it.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

This will be my first time tuning in live on Fridays. Could you kind folks give the procedure needed to "watch live"? Just need to friend the site? join a "circle"?

Thanks

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:51 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great to hear Wayne. You will require a google account and have a basic understanding of g+, which is Google social media tool. Add the Free Hands Academy to your circles. Be sure to let us know what your username is with Google so we can add you to the event.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Can I be added to the live conversation?

10 String BM Tarara Stick #5334
Bergen Norway

Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery