It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

first gig with new band. 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post first gig with new band.
Hey guys, my band, Black Jack (we have 21 strings among us) did our first gig at the Denton Square. We used battery powered amps (all Roland), and played a bluegrass, Dylan, and Grateful Dead tunes.

We had fun. I played Stick bass, and my friend Michael sang and played guitar. We recently recruited a lady violinist named Teri, and she is wonderful at winging it, given that we change the meter and the key frequently of any song at any time.

Our Roland Cube Street Ex's were too loud, and a security guard dropped by and asked us to turn them down. A cop pulled up too, but I don't think he had jurisdiction (the County runs the Courthouse lawn, where we were, and the City runs the surrounding area). Anyway, the balance still sounded great when we turned it down too. We're still finding our feet, so to speak.

I recorded the gig on my trusty Tascam Dr-40, but I didn't have a wind muffle, so I took off my shoes and socks, and put a sock on it, which worked out well, except that fire ants started feasting on my feet, moving up from there (good thing I've been stung thousands of times as a child - I'm immune).

Lots of fun! Our audience was a young lady who was very nice.

We played from 10:00 to 11:00, by which time the sun peaked out over the Courthouse, and we started getting hot. Then we had lunch and chatted for another hour.

Set-up and break-down was 15 or 20 minutes each way. Simple! No effects, just the built-in ones on the Roland amps, which we connected together to form a PA system. We had another little Roland Cube, the smallest they make, for the violinist to use as a pre-amp, into one of the many inputs we had available.

I'll see if I can post a recording...

R

Last edited by rodan07 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:35 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: first gig with new band.
rodan07 wrote:
I'll see if I can post a recording...
R

Yes please 8-)

Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:43 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

That's awesome! I'd love to see video of that! And the fire ants eating your toes while you furiously play is a new one, on that great big list of Gig Adventures in the sky (any scene from Spinal Tap for example). If "Life is All About the Accumulation of Good Stories" (Sink's Law # 32), you've had a good one! (Even though most of them don't feel like a good story at the time!)

Cheers, Rodan, and the 21-string band Black Jack!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great to hear, hope to hear it soon.

Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:33 pm