It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

Steve Adelson @ The British School 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Steve Adelson @ The British School
Hi Everyone

Just a few pics and info about Steve's trip to Houston and our efforts in broadening the Stick's fan base....

On Sunday Steve led a great Stick Seminar for 7 students ranging in experience from 40 years down to zero minutes (yep, two of the students played a Stick for the first time at the Seminar!) before coming back into school on Monday to lead a 4 hour workshop with some of our senior instrumentalists PLUS 2 assembly presentations to our Elementary and then Middle /High School students.
I have (happily) 'abused' my position as Director of Music in the school to put 2 Sticks on the budget and they have very recently been delivered (with a ton of extra goodies on Emmet's instruction! Thanks Emmet!). It is my aim to get a few kids started, encourage them to get one, inspire others to try....the snowball grows and who knows, in a few years the school has Stick on the curriculum?!

Today was an amazing spark to that fire. The kids have seen me play a little but I think seeing Steve gave them a big "Oh! THAT'S what that thing can do!" inspiration.
The workshop kids did well, benefiting from Steve's advice, guidance and encouragement and in the assemblies in front of 2 groups of 400+ students each, Steve talked about the Stick, played and then guest solo-ed with our Jazz Band.
It was a great day and BIG thanks go to Steve (and Fran) for coming to visit us. A few pics are attached (we had a Halloween parade so the costumes are a little weird!)

Paul

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:40 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Steve Adelson @ The British School
That's awesome.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:20 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Yeah, very cool. I bet it was really awesome!

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:24 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Wow, that's awesome! How great for the kids and for Stick! You guys rock!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Great event! Exposure to kids while they are young is really great. Luke Grey first saw The Stick at a U.Va. event for high school orchestra students...

Great that the school has instruments. That's key... Steve is a great ambassador.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thank you Paul. The two day event was well orchestrated and the environment was spectacular. The band took instruction and performed superbly. The reaction of the 900 kids was just overwhelming. A memorable and extremely gratifying weekend. So happy to have this opportunity. Ready for round two
Thanks again Paul

Steve

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

And cheers to the Stick students on day one. Loved the enthusiasm, the camaraderie and communication of ideas.
Keep in touch. I hear it's easy these days

Steve A

On to other parts of Texas for the week
Resuming Skype lessons November 9. New students always welcome.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:37 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great job Paul. What a great event! I also loved the write up and am looking forward to some video of Steve if you got it.

That first picture of Steve is too funny - is he wearing a Fez?! I bet he was a hit with the kids, because, well, Steve is a kid too. :D

This last month has been absolutely fantastic for local events - Charlottesville, VA, Canoga Park, CA and now Katy TX. Maybe we'll see some of those students on the boards here soon enough.

Good job!

Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

It really was yes.
The hat was kindly provided by our production manager as Steve was the only non Halloween costumed human in the building! Apparently the scary face wasn't enough! ;-)
Funny day to come and do a workshop!

Some examples of how the workshops and presentations impacted the kids...... The next day.....my first class, a 4th grade class learning about Graphic Notation....... first question... "Mr Wright, can I use the Chapman Stick to play my compositions please?"....... my next class..... 9th graders "Mr. Wright, I went home and asked my Dad for a Chapman Stick for Christmas! Will Steve Adelson be teaching in school now?" Another kid...."My friend Jamie said that's the first music thing he's been to in school that didn't suck" (enormous compliment indeed from that kid) and then the highlight...... a 12th Grade class at the end of the day that included some of the guys who were in the workshop.... "Mr. Wright that workshop was fucking awesome!....oops, sorry" (I let the expletive pass)

So from my perspective as the head of music, it was great to see the kids so engaged with Steve and what he was doing and saying, but from a personal been-playing-the stick-for-a-year perspective it was inspirational, especially the seminar the previous day. I am going to speak to Steve about lessons and all I want to do is just practice.

I took more photos and videos, when I get a moment i'll put them up on Youtube, I can;t seem to attach any video here.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Paul

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:21 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks for the little review Paul. And thanks for the invite.
I had a blast. Seeing the school kids all dressed up in costumes took all seriousness out of the equation. The players in our band were so anxious to learn. And their performance of the two tunes was incredible especially considering just a two hour rehearsal.
I remember the look of excitement on their faces at making the music come to life. Tell them again what a great job they did. Drums, guitars, bass (Julius Caesar), sax and violin get special kudos.
Your stories of the student's reaction the next day is extremely gratifying. Hopefully we've impacted their lives in some positive creative way. This is wealth.

Thanks again

Steve A

BTW. ..please send pics and videos to me privately as well through email
much appreciated

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery