It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:01 am

Saturday Market 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Saturday Market
The 3 pc instrumental band I play with played out for the first time today at a local Saturday Market. My wife was on hand taking lots of pictures, and I thought I'd share the single post max (5).

We're a drummer, guitarist/keyboard player, and me. We've been playing together for around 9 months or so. Various light-medium instrumental music, some generally recognizable to most folks, other stuff not so much.

This is a new Saturday Market. It's situated in the parking lot of a good sized local mall, and this is the fifth weekend it's operated. I visited it a couple of times leading up to this weekend, and while it's still pretty small, it seems to be growing a little bit each week. Most of the time there's a DJ playing tunes, and an acoustic guitar/flute duo with vocals plays sometimes also. We're the first band they've had playing.

We were scheduled to start playing around noon. The weather was nice...sunny, low 70s. The band area was under a canopy, about 10' x 20'. I was running melody side through a Zoom G1on, and bass side through a Zoom MS-60B. I feed these into a Mackie 402VZ4 mixer, then mono output into a Markbass CMD-102p amp. Line out from the amp fed into the small PA our guitarist owns. (Those PA speakers are on the heavy side...)

There were tables and chairs in front of the band area for folks to sit and listen, eat, talk, etc., but people generally came and went, or listened while perusing the market. We played for two hours, plus a 10 minute break.

We were well received. A number of folks wandering through the market visited the band to offer compliments for our performance in general, some nice grooves, good lead work by Scott (guitarist), or song selection. A few of the vendors also expressed appreciation...whether or not you're into the music or paying close attention, what we play apparently makes for a good Saturday Market environment.

There were a few moments I'd like to have back, but beyond those I'm pretty happy with how I played. My shakier moments were during some of the more challenging (to me, at least) bass+melody parts, but the ones I played reasonably clean on this first occasion will serve as a confidence boost now that I've got this first performance under my belt. As far as the band goes, we're our own harshest critics, but we're satisfied with how we did this first time out.

(edit: first 8 words corrected)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Last edited by Gusset on Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 30, 2015 10:42 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Saturday Market
I meant to write this the first time I saw the thread: Cool!

I am sure that was worth the wait. :lol:

Sat May 30, 2015 11:14 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Excellent, congrats!

Sun May 31, 2015 2:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Good for you! Someday if possible please post some audio, I'd love to hear the band!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Sun May 31, 2015 6:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Victor,
Kudos and Congrats! Great to see you playing out.

Also you did the most important thing which was gauge your audience and you set list. The compliments that came from the crowd and especially the vendors ( your captive audience :D ) really bear out your playing ability and CORRECT SONG and INSTRUMENTATION CHOICES. which is key. And another important aspect is the volume, even if you are outside.

Nice to get asked back, and really nice they gave you a tent for rain and the sun. If someone asked you - "here, stand here pretty still for two hours" you'd say you're crazy, but play there for two hours "now you're talking!" funny how that goes. :D

Thank you for this inspiring post on not only playing out but creating a gig!
Very Proud of you!
Dave Brosky "DBro"

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks for all the encouragement folks! 88, I don't know if there's any "real" video, beyond a bit of handheld iPhone of our warmup, a simple little two chord jam...we ended up having to rush during setup due to some "on the scene" logistics issues, so we didn't take the time to set up a camera.

Dave, ever the encourager! I feel compelled to share that while we've all had active roles in figuring out what and how to play, our little trio is primarily the guitarist's vision, and he found this "starting" gig. I think he may have wanted a playing outlet that didn't involve the bar scene at midnight... :lol:

Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:29 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oops, I can see that I made a faux paux in my post..."my 3 piece instrumental band" should more correctly have read, "the 3 piece instrumental band I play with"...I'm not the band leader by any stretch. Sorry for whatever misrepresentation this resulted in (innocent mistake)!

:oops:

Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:25 am