It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:52 am

Take The "A" Train Arrangement suggestions... 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Take The "A" Train Arrangement suggestions...
I'm not giving them, but looking for them! (Suggestions)

I am pricing together an arrangement of the tune and of course, I started with a guitar version (https://jeffkerrmusic.com/files/1080060/take-the-a-train.mp3) to help me get a sense of the tune, and maybe see what I might like to do with it. Not too fast, no shred - sorry. The audio file included is kind of where I'd like to go on the Stick, warning; jazz content! (Not really what you're used to hearing me play hahaha) :D

On guitar I'm pretty good at playing changes, but on Stick it definitely feels like something has to be sacrificed in order to play lots of notes, or keep the groove going etc. I have this percussive thing going with the head so far that seems promising.

Anyways, any ideas on what I could do to this tune to make it a cool Stick opus? Any links to anyone else playing the tune? I'd love to check it out.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:54 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Take The "A" Train Arrangement suggestions...
You can get lost on the "A Train". There are only two whole tone scales, each with six notes, comprising the twelve tones of a chromatic scale.

I always liked what the pianist did in the original jazz arrangement. He played five of the six notes separated by whole steps in ascending and descending arpeggios.

I don't remember if the song is in the key of A but if it is, the bouncing and rebounding arpeggio would be C# B A G F, or from a major 3rd degree down in whole steps to a flatted 6th.

It's symmetrical with the key center A note at the center. You can enter into the Offset Modal System through this passage.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:04 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Better brush up on your walking bass lines

Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:48 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Take The A Train is in the key of C Major
The progression is quite basic. The highlight is measure 3 which is D7b5 because the melody goes to Ab.
The bridge typically goes to the IV chord (F). There are lyrics if you're interested
Suggestion, play the A section bass line as half notes for an open feel. Bridge goes to walking quarters.
Solos all walking quarter notes. I've performed this classic tune, hundreds of times and always enjoyed the simplicity yet open creative possibilities
BTW the original pianist was Duke Ellington who partnered with Billy Strayhorn on many of his compositions.
Many years later Duke and Coltrane recorded a tune called "Take The Coltrane"

Steve Adelson

Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery