It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 The big pedalboard discussion 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post The big pedalboard discussion
Being a pedal freak and seeing some pedalboards discussions surfacing here periodically but quickly drowned into the flow of informations, how about gathering all of them into one big discussion about your gear, the way you organize it, the sounds you can get with it, etc, etc...?

PIcs and sounds welcome!

Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: The big pedalboard discussion
Just Digging into my newly arrived Line 6 Helix.... WOW! (Thanks for the patches and info on routing, Jeremy)!

Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:11 pm
Contributor
Contributor

rclere wrote:
Just Digging into my newly arrived Line 6 Helix.... WOW! (Thanks for the patches and info on routing, Jeremy)!

I'm a POD X3 user. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Helix after you've had time to explore it more.

The Radnecks

http://www.theradnecks.com

Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:54 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

@Sacrosanct... I'e had the PODX3 and the POD-HD500x.... Comparing Helix to either one of those would not be fair... Helix is literally a game changer, sound, routing, ease of use... The modeling is just off the hook with this unit. The options for routing too are flexible and intelligent. I have found the unit very easy to navigate and use. It come with a USB stick that has the manual on it. The manual too, is very easy to understand. as well. Yeah, it is pricey, however, running melody/bass through it, it could very well be the last pedalboard I buy (who am i kidding?):)

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:19 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Very happy Fractal Audio AxeFx II user here :-) In the past I have owned and used many of the modelled pedals and I really enjoy having a big chunk of the electric instruments amplification sound history available right inside that box. I really don't miss the daily crawling over the floor for connecting patches or trouble-shooting some yet unknown obstructing cable. Beside the sticks I use it for guitars and wind instruments and vocals. I've been a big fan of the Eventide effects sound and the tools for patching up that kind of effect rouiting are available inside the Fractal. It also doubles up as my computer audio interface and thus spares me the cost of that.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I've finally settled on a rig that seems to work for every situation:

I plug the melody into the VoiceLive 3 which has a very comprehensive set of TC Electronic effects and amp models, etc. which covers the melody side. I have set up a few patches which each act like a little pedalboard in themselves since you can switch the individual effects with the footswitches. I mostly stay on one patch for the melody side.

The bass side uses a Zoom B3. It similarly has patches that act like mini pedal boards. I have configured two that I generally use: one for when I'm playing the Stick primarily as a bass in a band context, and one for when I'm playing the instrument as one instrument (such as solo Stick).

Both of these units, the VoiceLive3 and the B3 then go through a stereo volume pedal (which I use as a simple global volume control and as a global mute) and then through to a Yamaha MG06X mixer. The mixer is very handy in setting the gain prior to sending the signals to the house mix. I use one of the outputs to the house, and one to my QSC K12 monitor. Also, I can use the very nice reverb on the MG06X to add some ambient reverb if the venue is really dry.

I can also use the VoiceLive3 for voice, of course, direct out to the house or to the second input of the QSC K12.

Generally, my use of effects is directed toward achieving that 'zzwooomm' richness that you can get on a good acoustic guitar. So, I use a combination of amp modelling, delay, reverb, chorus, and compression to thicken the sound and add sustain.

Marty

Last edited by Marty6126 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:44 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Like Per, I also use Fractal Audio AxeFXII. Such a great box. But lately, I've moved to using a Fractal Audio AX8 for live use and now leave the AxeFXII in my home studio. The AX8 is a self contained, portable unit that easily processes both sides of the Stick as two separate signal paths. Unlike the AxeFXII, the AX8 only runs one amp model at a time, but I tend to process my bass side with only some EQ, compression and a little reverb. The melody side gets compression, amp, cab/mic, delay, chorus, reverb, etc. etc.

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:25 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Marty, I like your pedal board... Can't go wrong with TC Electronic!

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:20 pm
Contributor
Contributor

OK...so...the Helix you say?

I've been an HD500 user for years (i have 2 of them)...and curious as to the differences?

Concept is the same...how can they improve on this thing?

TP

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:44 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jason Brock has some pretty cool tools.
I've attached a photo of his setup.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:42 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next