It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 am

Alternative clip-on tuner 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Alternative clip-on tuner
I broke my Snark the other day, and wanted to replace it. I have to say that the Peterson app on my iPhone with a direct cable connection to the Stick's output is absolutely the BEST way to tune a Stick, and seems to be extremely accurate so you can use it to set the intonation also.

However, having to dig out the cables and connect it all up is a PITA, and it was nice to just leave the Snark clipped permanently to the R-Block. I wasn't super happy with the Snark but it was good enough. Some of the strings just didn't have the volume or sustain to trigger it. Not a show-stopper as I could usually just try tuning at a different fret until I found some notes the Snark could "hear."

Anyway, in replacing it I decided to go with a Korg Sledgehammer.

A bit more $ (by about $10) but I have to say this is quite good. All three tuning modes (Standard, Strobe and Half-Strobe) work well. It doesn't seem to have any trouble even with the thin non-wound strings, though occasionally the string seems to need a little extra damping with a finger for some reason. It reads the low stuff - the low "D" up through "G" on the 6th string (7th for a 12-string) without any problem.

If you're looking for a clip-on that is better than a Snark, but not as pricey as the Peterson Strobo-Clip, you might want to give one of these a try.
Attachment:
Korg Sledgehammer.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:16 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Alternative clip-on tuner
SteveS wrote:
If you're looking for a clip-on that is better than a Snark, but not as pricey as the Peterson Strobo-Clip, you might want to give one of these a try.

Interesting. My best Stick tuner at present is teh Mod Duo X that it's plugged into. That has no problems 'hearing' all strings, but it's a faff to call up (long click of one knob, then turn knob to select tuner, plus it only sees one 'input' at a time ,so need another click to tune the other 'side').

I have a cheapie tuner clipped to the bottom of the Stick, but it can't 'hear' the low bass. That Korg looks like an interesting compromise.

PS. Also interesting to notice in your image how low your stickups are. Most of mine are just about 'flush' (& that's after I lowered several from how they were when #1642 arrived - some so high they could cause string buzz!).

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup UnXd Para 4ths
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 UnXd Para 4ths
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 UnXd Para 4ths

Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:10 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
PS. Also interesting to notice in your image how low your stickups are. Most of mine are just about 'flush' (& that's after I lowered several from how they were when #1642 arrived - some so high they could cause string buzz!).

The volume on the melody side seems much lower than that in the bass side, so I have to compensate with the volume pots, soI may need to adjust mine. I’m hesitant to do so because the poles look to have some corrosion going on, so it may require disassembly and some judicious drops of lubricant before I try to move them. I figure I’ll wait until the Railboard arrives, and dig into it then.

Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:25 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Having lived with this tuner (that now lives clipped to the R-block) for a couple of weeks, I have to say this is the best clip-on tuner I've ever used. It seems to work flawlessly. It responds very quickly, clearly shows when things are in tune, the stroboscopic tuning makes it very fast to touch things up when they begin to sound a little off.

Highly recommended. A bit more than a Snark, but seems to be MUCH better for use on a Stick!!

Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:48 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

SteveS wrote:
Having lived with this tuner (that now lives clipped to the R-block) for a couple of weeks, I have to say this is the best clip-on tuner I've ever used.

I'll second that. As I was looking for a better solution for Stick I got one based on your earlier post. On my Ironwood I find clipping it to the bass of the Stick suits me best.

The simple & quick 'twist' to turn on & off acton is neat too. :) My other tuners tend to require a long press of some button or other.

My only small reservation is the relatively small range of movement for the display. That's not been a problem - there's enough range of angles to get a fine vew anywhere I've tried it on the Stick - but my other clip-on tuners are all, literally, more flexible in this respect.

Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:09 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
My only small reservation is the relatively small range of movement for the display. That's not been a problem - there's enough range of angles to get a fine vew anywhere I've tried it on the Stick - but my other clip-on tuners are all, literally, more flexible in this respect.

David - I thought the same at first, then I realized there was a hinge and a movement I wasn't taking advantage of. There is a short arm that rotates and lifts the ball-and-socket joint

Make sure that you're rotating the tuner up from that "laid back" position that it's in when it comes out of the box. It took me a couple of days to realize it was much more flexible than I thought!! :roll:

Attachment:
Korg 2.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:27 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

SteveS wrote:
Make sure that you're rotating the tuner up from that "laid back" position that it's in when it comes out of the box.[/attachment]

I do already have it 'raised' like that. It's the range of rotation of the 'barrel' on that raised arm that seems surprisingly limited to me.

Perhaps I'm missing something else? However, no mind. As I said range of movement hasn't been an actual problem, and I'm more than happy with the performance as a tuner. :)

Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:32 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
I do already have it 'raised' like that. It's the range of rotation of the 'barrel' on that raised arm that seems surprisingly limited to me.

Ok - good! I must just be slower than most! :lol:

Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:42 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

SteveS wrote:
I must just be slower than most! :lol:

I doubt it Steve. You're obviously a very smart & 'handy' guy. :)

Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:44 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Late to the party, but who cares...?
Just bought this Fender clip on tuner for my son in law, and kept it for me as he doesn't need it. Cheap, looks good, large screen, handy for me as I'm short-sighted and had difficulties to see colors on my good old TC Electronic Polytune mini without glasses.

Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery