It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am

headphone amplification? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: headphone amplification?
begin again wrote:
as to signal merging, dunno, I suspect it might be effect by effect.
for instance, I expect a reverb alg to have some cross-feeding so you get a stereo image just with the point sources in different places.

Other effects I expect are processed independently to maintain separation (but with the same settings)

so the long and the short -- it's not the total dual mono separation a lot of stickist are interested in.
but at the pricepoint and footprint -- 2 certainly isn't a deal breaker

Here is the manual.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:37 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

yeah, but that's the operations manual, I didn't see much abt what the algs are doing internally

The easy way to check would be to monitor the input channel with the associated input channel muted

I mean I'd expect verbs and stereo pan/ping-pong delays to cross mix, but more tone shaping stuff, I expect wouldn't

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:57 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

maybe I'll just throw a couple of LM386s in an altoids tin.

the problem is they got rid of their sour lemon which wer the altoids I liked

Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:04 pm

ArmyDoc wrote:
It has two instrument inputs... can you apply different effects to each signal? Or are the two signals merged internally and everything then applied to both?

The latter. If you want different effects on each side, you'll need another pedal. The two inputs are electrically separate, meaning you can use both without the bass and melody sides fighting with each other as with a Y cable. But the digital processing after the input stage is unified. The stereo outs are for effects like ping-pong delay and stereo modulation.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:36 am
Contributor
Contributor

john.e wrote:
ArmyDoc wrote:
It has two instrument inputs... can you apply different effects to each signal? Or are the two signals merged internally and everything then applied to both?

The latter. If you want different effects on each side, you'll need another pedal. The two inputs are electrically separate, meaning you can use both without the bass and melody sides fighting with each other as with a Y cable. But the digital processing after the input stage is unified. The stereo outs are for effects like ping-pong delay and stereo modulation.

Thanks! Oh well, I thought it sounded too good to be true for the price point.

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:15 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Anybody check out the PreSonus HP2?

Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hmm...I bought an HP4 for my current band and never thought to use it for Stick practice. I'll have to do that!
I bought a Behringer cheapo $25 headphone amp just to have something very small to bring to Free Hands Academy 2 years ago. It's small, and you can play Stick via headphones. But the sound leaves a LOT to be desired, and the signal is extremely weak if you try to use a 1/4" line in. (It works well with an XLR 3-pin microphone input.)

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Luc wrote:
Hmm...I bought an HP4 for my current band and never thought to use it for Stick practice. I'll have to do that!
I bought a Behringer cheapo $25 headphone amp just to have something very small to bring to Free Hands Academy 2 years ago. It's small, and you can play Stick via headphones. But the sound leaves a LOT to be desired, and the signal is extremely weak if you try to use a 1/4" line in. (It works well with an XLR 3-pin microphone input.)

Let us know how the HP4 sounds. The input impedance is only 10kohm, so I had kind of written it off. Be nice to know if I was wrong.

I'm looking for something small I can use when traveling. I'm thinking about using one of the recording DI's because I'm not finding very many (any) 1+ MOhm headphone amps.

Right now I'm looking at three:
1) Irig pro duo, which is 1Mohm and $199,
2) Line 6 Pod Studio UX2 also 199...I'm told is 1MOhm but cant find it on site yet.
3) Zoom UA-2, which also is 1MOhm at 249, Higher priced but is the onlyone that uses quad sampling and is USB 3.0 compliant.

Anyone have experience with any of these?

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:55 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Also looking at the Berhinger U-phoria line - fairly inexpensive and has 1Mohm impedance. Given price, may just give this one a try.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC204HD

Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:01 am
Contributor
Contributor

So they didn't have the u-phoria in stock, so I ended up getting the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 second generation. Have to say as a headphone amp it works great. Much better sound than I expected. I haven't tried recording with it yet, but it runs off the USB power, and I always have my lap top with me, so for practicing away from home, it suits my needs well.

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:45 pm