It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:18 am

headphone amplification? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post headphone amplification?
so, while playing in the ambient is a first choice - what about travel, a tired, spouse, on a boat where practice might be best accomplished with headphones.

anyone put together a little headphone practice system?
I'm sort of looking at putting together a tiny travel thing for my railboard

I picked up one of those zoom MS 100 multi pedals just as a swiss army knife and I'm quite impressed. I think it's just a great little guy that might be good to have (or maybe one for each side) tucked into the case

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:02 am

Post Re: headphone amplification?
The MS-100BT is my entire Stick rig. For practice, I run it directly through headphones or studio monitors. Or into the board for recording. For gigs, I send it straight to the PA.

I modded mine with a headphone out, but you can also just use a stereo Y cable. Best to use low-impedance phones. The Audio-Technica ATH-50X and Sony MDR-V6 work well.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:49 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

oh cool! so it has enough output to drie those?

di you just put a stereo jack in parallel with the outputs for that mod?

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:55 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

do you miss dual mono (independent) processing of the two sides ? in terms of what effects are on which side?

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:56 am

Yes, plenty of power for low-impedance phones if you set up your patches right.

I use the Fender combo amp and 2x12 cab followed by a bass boost at 80Hz with the parametric EQ. The Fender amp gain is set around 15 and the level between 60 and 100. The EQ level is at 100. This is with the ACTV-2 pickup. With the Railboard, you might want to crank up the amp gain.

For the mod, I jumpered two terminals on the circuit board, one from each L-R jack. I don't recall now which ones, but the mod converted one of the mono outs to a single stereo out.

The only downside is you can't use the two mono outs together for a stereo signal after the mod, so I added a switch for the jumpered connection. With the flip of a mini toggle, I can go from modded to stock. This works great, but the Y cable is easier. Something like this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSYPP136

I don't miss having independent processing. Usually I prefer a unified sound -- clean with a little delay. But occasionally when recording I still like to separate bass and melody. For that, I either use my second MS-100BT (which normally just sits in my case for gigs) or add the desired separate effect, such as overdrive, with a stomp box before the Zoom.

Like this:

Melody side > OD pedal > Zoom input 1

Bass side > Zoom input 2

The two sides then get summed by the amp sim in the Zoom and go out in joined mono. If I go out in stereo, it's only to have stereo delay or some other stereo effect.

The MS-100BT really is a Swiss Army knife. Sometimes I can't believe my rig fits in the Stick bag and weighs less than a can of corn. I haven't gigged with an amp in years, and my amp at home sits covered.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:00 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

We talk about this topic a lot (not that I don't mind talking more about it!)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11129

paigan0 wrote:
Sominus wrote:
So I can practice in my chair, does anyone have a good suggestion for a headphone amp I can use?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iRig2

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHF0v9F8OpY[/youtube]

Best $40 in guitar gear I've spent this year! I got the Irig2 to replace my Irig 1, now that the 2 has the direct line out for an amp as well as headphone jacks. Plugs into any iPhone, iPad, and most Android devices.

Cheers!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

whoops - sorry about bringing up already coered ground

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:09 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

begin again wrote:
whoops - sorry about bringing up already coered ground

Oh, no, not at all. You can't possibly have read the whole site and know every topic, and I've only been here a year myself so there's lots I post that are old topics if you go back far enough.

You can always post this and get a good response:

"Rush rules!!!!" and there we go! (They do rule, for the record.)

But you're fine! Thanks for rocking it out!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

begin again wrote:
so, while playing in the ambient is a first choice - what about travel, a tired, spouse, on a boat where practice might be best accomplished with headphones.

anyone put together a little headphone practice system?
I'm sort of looking at putting together a tiny travel thing for my railboard

I picked up one of those zoom MS 100 multi pedals just as a swiss army knife and I'm quite impressed. I think it's just a great little guy that might be good to have (or maybe one for each side) tucked into the case

It has two instrument inputs... can you apply different effects to each signal? Or are the two signals merged internally and everything then applied to both?

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:17 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ArmyDoc wrote:
begin again wrote:

It has two instrument inputs... can you apply different effects to each signal? Or are the two signals merged internally and everything then applied to both?

The zoom?
there may be some hidden tricks or workarounds or something but, as far as i know, it's really stereo (as opposed to dual monor) so the channels are in sort of lockstep as far as effects selection.

as to signal merging, dunno, I suspect it might be effect by effect.
for instance, I expect a reverb alg to have some cross-feeding so you get a stereo image just with the point sources in different places.

Other effects I expect are processed independently to maintain separation (but with the same settings)

so the long and the short -- it's not the total dual mono separation a lot of stickist are interested in.
but at the pricepoint and footprint -- 2 certainly isn't a deal breaker

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:31 pm