It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:43 am

Quick review- Tagg Interface 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Quick review- Tagg Interface
One more set of thoughts on the Tagg Interface.

I prefer to play standing. Unfortunately, over the past year I've started experiencing pain in my lower back, just above the left hip. I decided to give a Tagg interface a try in hopes of helping. For those who aren't aware, a Tagg interface is a piece that permits a Stick to be mounted on a cymbal stand to enable playing in a standing position without the player having to carry the instrument...no load, no belt needed, no strap needed.

The cymbal stand I got for it was a Tama HC84BW, $110 at Sweetwater. It has a boom with a counterweight, is pretty heavy duty, and the boom helps by putting things further away from the stand's vertical tube. The stability with this Tama is better than I expected. I'm happy with it. Only disadvantage is that the boom does stick out there a bit.

I can verify other reports: the Tagg is quality workmanship. Belt hook drops right in, and it looks real nice. Check out the pics. Mr. Tagg does great work.

What do I think, now that I've been using it a little over a month now? Keeper. Total "Mission Accomplished" as the solution to my Stick-related back pain. The convenience factor is also really, really nice. Just walk up, power on, and play, no need to don a belt. It positions the Stick close enough to how I would wear it that transition when it's time to play out is pretty quick. Main differences are that on the Tagg the instrument is not quite as steady as when it's on my belt and the strap is supporting the top, and the Tagg puts it an inch or so further out at waist height.

In a word? Winner. Seriously, folks...if your back complains about playing, PM Gene Perry (Earthgene here on Stickist) and get one of these.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:02 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Quick review- Tagg Interface
NICE!! Really cool, thanks for the review... They look nice, and I would really use one. Hmmmn. I should order a couple I think... Then both Sticks are just 'there' ready to play...

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:31 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Very helpful mini review and pics - thanks for posting.

Can you say why the boom stand is an advantage over a regular (straight up) stand? Interested in this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Scronk wrote:
Can you say why the boom stand is an advantage over a regular (straight up) stand? Interested in this...
It's probably a matter of personal preference in balancing the pros and cons (footprint, $$$, portability, etc.), so there may be other Tagg users who feel differently. I've never tried one on a non-boom stand, either, so feel free to take my thoughts with a grain or two of salt.

A non-boom stand permits angling the Tagg however you desire, but it keeps it in close to the center tube of the cymbal stand. Having a boom enables the Stick to be a bit further out (do they all have decent counterweights? Wouldn't work as well without one). This reduces the potential for interference between my feet and the cymbal stand's legs/feet.

If you look at the "full" pic I posted, and imagine the Tagg positioned at the top of the center tube instead of where I have it, you might be able to visualize what I'm referring to. There might be other pics around here someplace of a Tagg on a straight stand.

I hope I've answered your question.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:53 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

i'll be happy to get one of these

any info on the procedure ?

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:20 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks for posting this Vic, so glad to hear that the TAGG offered you some new possibilities. The points you made about convenience are the most pertinent to me as I, like many here, have so many obligations going on all at once that it is difficult to make time (literally, MAKE time) to just have a few minutes to relax and enjoy music. The TAGG has been an integral part of that.

Between the TAGG and a sitting solution (Dbro lap bar or LapDawg) and the built in belt hook, it's good to have options. Stickists use each for different reasons, but I am pretty certain a keyword that will come up when they are describing the TAGG interface is "convenient".

The Western Maple TAGGs have a bright, smooth quality to them. There are 2 still available from our last batch of 5, all Western Maple. You can finish them yourselves or even paint them! I know Kevin-c did his up in black to match his Graphite 12'r. Wicked.

Tip of hat to you Vic, so grateful for the feedback. I know that John takes great pride in his work, so, honest, constructive criticism is always appreciated. Hope everyone is getting some time to play some music today, cheers. :D

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Ordering info?

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002