It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 am

JBL EON One 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post JBL EON One
Has anyone had a chance to actually hear the JBL EON One system? I'm wondering how this compares to the BOSE systems.

I sure like the portability of this unit! But I'd still use my 2 multi effects units and small mixer to feed the main ins.

[Admin: Youtube BBCode added]

Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: JBL EON One
If you are going powered speakers... The QSC K series blows the JBL Eons away. I had them, and switched to the QSC's. If you can afford a Bose system and like the sound, they are a great choice too. I think either the QSC's or the Bose would be a better choice than the JBL... both sound and quality.

Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:38 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I also compared the JBLs to the QSC and bought the QSCs. I've never been a fan of the Bose systems but many like them and they are a good option. I went to a big Guitar Center on a non-busy day where it was pretty quiet. I brought my Stick and preamp and tried everything on the wall. The QSCs were so much better than anything else I was amazed. Bob C. travels with the little K8 model and has some of the K12 models too. Go listen to them and see if you have the same reaction.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Read this for a different take on powered PA speakers.

Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:43 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

This JBL system looks very similar to the Bose L1 Compact I've been using in the real world for 2 years now.

When I say "real world", I mean gigs in all kinds of situations: noisy pubs or cocktail parties, busking, open air gigs (town and country), solo or with a drummer, you name it.

If you play and sing, don't want to break your back and want a good sound without having to carry wedges or monitor around, go for one of these babies. Plenty of bass, nice midrange, crispy highs.

Once you realize that your sound will vary endlessly according to the space you're in, you learn to play WITH said space.

There's nothing like getting out of your comfort zone and letting facts take over figures.

And if you're playing in front of the unit, it gets quite invisible. Check this picture taken last thursday.
Attachment:
Unia.jpg

Greetings from Switzerland

Olivier

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Rob, any thoughts on acoustic dampening fillers in your speaker cabinets?
I hear that it enhances the bass tones, especially on transmission cabinets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_line_loudspeaker

I have a set of Yamaha/Creative Labs computer speakers with filler.
The bass response is definitely better with the filler than without.
Robstafarian wrote:
Read this for a different take on powered PA speakers.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:46 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Olivier wrote:

Once you realize that your sound will vary endlessly according to the space you're in, you learn to play WITH said space.

There's nothing like getting out of your comfort zone and letting facts take over figures.

Olivier

+1

A couple weeks ago I was at an airshow and the person who did the sound had a whopping 20 QSC K10's. No lack of bass and you could hear the music and the announcers pretty well over the roar of jet engines.

I had been using a K-12 and a Markbass amp for a while, and a couple months ago I performed live in a theater with my electric guitar running through my Helix and the K-12. I had to roll back some of the bass as the theater was really bringing out those frequencies. Per the suggestion of one of the other guys who has far more experience then me, I took his advice for the Stick and went with a second K-12 to go for a stereo sound, and be able to move more bass through the air with an additional speaker. Works perfect for me, I typically turn off the Deep Bass boost switch, at times I can get too much bass out of the K12's. Sold the Markbass, my 4 string will still work with it, but I play the NS and the Grand more, and live performances for me typically come to me by surprise, rarely planned. But the real nice thing about a PA system is it works with all of my guitars and Sticks. I can make everything work with each other and it all sounds good. I don't fuss with trying to get a good tone and focus more on playing nowadays.

Not saying the K-12 is perfect, a good bass amp works better typically for a bass guitar, but for me it solves a lot of headaches. Outside of the K-12's I've got a small Fishman Loudbox and one of the new Marshall Code 25's for a "grab and go" amp for where I want just a small amp for whatever instrument.

I tried doing the custom bass cab routine and it worked great for my bass and the NS, but my Grand sounded a bit brittle with the melody side. But like you said, the other factor is where you are playing. Years back I had an Acoustic Image Amp, but I found that down firing speaker had different sound qualities depending on what surface it was sitting on; hard floors versus carpeting I found really changed the tone of the amp.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:54 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

WerkSpace wrote:
Rob, any thoughts on acoustic dampening fillers in your speaker cabinets?

You mean “damping.” This is the relevant page from the fEARful site.

My personal take is that I want my equipment to best represent my playing, within the limits of my budget, and a 12″ fEARful and a power amp is not much more expensive than the powered PA speakers mentioned here. The modularity of that solution will reduce the cost of equipment failure.

I really hate that my poverty keeps my posts on this subject theoretical: I truly want Stickists to realize the benefits of “new” developments which are almost ten years old.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:52 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Great stuff guys, thanks! I'll have to check out the QSC's for sure.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

pcgonzales wrote:
Great stuff guys, thanks! I'll have to check out the QSC's for sure.

Consider making the trip out to Mesa to see Joseph Hawley of JHawk Customs, which is now part of Greenboy Audio. You might be able to arrange to visit for a demo, running your rig through one of his power amps and demo cabs.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:39 am