It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

Pickups on tapping instruments - general questions 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Pickups on tapping instruments - general questions
Ok so since I can't afford doing a massive pickup comparison also due to the hassle that It would require, I have a general questions about pickups used on Tapping instruments in general.

For example on the Stick is the "Stickup" considered to be a "High" output pickup compared to say DiMarzio "high output"? Do you want a super high output on tapping instruments overall? I can't help but think since our attack is not as great as pick or a pluck that we don't have to worry so much about generating distortion on high gain pickups but maybe I'm way off?

The Bartolini's on my instrument sound really nice and thick but I have no idea how they would compare "output" wise to any other tapping instrument. For my dream "one off" instrument I'm drawing up, I'm trying to find how I can establish the best combination of "stock" pickups that are available. Man its a shame that big money is wasted on folks like the "Kardashians" I'd love to test tons of combinations. And while I'm at it throw in preamps, amps, speakers yada yada!! :)

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Pickups on tapping instruments - general questions
https://youtu.be/ZlxgqXv74FQ

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:18 pm

Pete, those Barts on your Meg are very low output. I've had them. They are quieter than DiMarzio humbuckers. Nice warm sound, but they benefit from a booster pedal before the amp. If you're splitting bass and melody, the Boss LS-2 is a good solution.

The PASV-4 is louder than the Stickup and passive Bartolinis.

The ACTV-2 and active Barts have internal trim pots, so their output level is adjustable. Both can be crushingly loud, too hot for amps and effects pedals.

I have the ACTV-2 now and keep the trims less than halfway up, about like the PASV-4. I could turn them up much higher, but I don't want to overload my gear. You don't need that hot of a signal.

If you're building something custom, active pups will be the most flexible.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:20 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

john.e wrote:
Pete, those Barts on your Meg are very low output. I've had them. They are quieter than DiMarzio humbuckers. Nice warm sound, but they benefit from a booster pedal before the amp. If you're splitting bass and melody, the Boss LS-2 is a good solution.

The PASV-4 is louder than the Stickup and passive Bartolinis.

The ACTV-2 and active Barts have internal trim pots, so their output level is adjustable. Both can be crushingly loud, too hot for amps and effects pedals.

I have the ACTV-2 now and keep the trims less than halfway up, about like the PASV-4. I could turn them up much higher, but I don't want to overload my gear. You don't need that hot of a signal.

If you're building something custom, active pups will be the most flexible.

Thanks John, I love my tone and have ample preamp etc.. my question was more of comparison. Thanks.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

rclere wrote:
https://youtu.be/ZlxgqXv74FQ

Cool video, still looking for a good explanation of "Optimal" output for tapping instruments. Perhaps the question isn't even fair and up to whatever a person likes.

Thanks for playing! :)

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

john.e wrote:

Do the trim pots also affect the level while the switch is set to stereo?
I'd like them to be a little hotter, just thought I'd ask before starting to fiddle with the internals.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:31 am

Yes, stereo and mono. And you can use them to balance the level between mono and stereo for switching back and forth without an unwanted volume change.

Before you tweak, you might want to mark the trims with a pencil so you'll remember where you started. If I recall, I keep my melody set around 9:30 or 10:00 and the bass a little lower, around 9:00 or 9:30.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:53 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

john.e wrote:
Yes, stereo and mono. And you can use them to balance the level between mono and stereo for switching back and forth without an unwanted volume change.

How does it balance between stereo and mono if it increases / decreases the level of both of them?

Just a final check before I dismantle the pickup :)

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:01 am