It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 pm

suggestions needed for battery powered speakers or amps 

Post suggestions needed for battery powered speakers or amps
So I'm looking for a battery powed pa or amp to use with my stick. Not a whole bunch of options out there that seem decent yet. I went up to the local GC and was going to check out a cube street ex and behringer mpa40bt. They didn't have the behringer in stock to check it out.

The cube was ok, but for the price didn't seem all that great for what I'm looking for. It would work ok if I didn't want to split the pickups and go with two signals. The main guitar channel with effects on the cube had a decent sound and volume. But if I ran my melody side through one of the other channels of the amp it was totay weak of tone and volume. Was not impressed with the reverb on the cube at all. Also there is no real way to use the effects on the amp with having to manually change the settings by hands. So you would need an effects pedal. So for 499.00 I wasn't too impressed.

So still on the hunt for something battery operated. The Behringer mpa40bt is only 200.00 and I could get two zooms and be at that 500.00 range of the cube. The only issue (if I checked it out and it sounded good) I can see is there is not a direct out on the Behringer. That seems crazy! If the Behringer had a decent sound and a line out i'd be sold.
For 799.00 I could go with a single carvin s600b with 150watts of power. I have an old carvin mixer/pa system and the reverb/delay/chorus/echo effects sound great with the stick. But was hoping to be a little more modest with the budget.
So I thought I'd ask the people on here that would know best! And get some suggestions on other items to try.

Here are some of the things I am looking for:
Battery and power cord operated, of couse at least two channels, line out to run to a pa, enough power to hear myself on a stage with others. Effects such as reverb would be a bonus. I only use reverb for the most part currently. Don't really see myself using many other effects, but never know. I am not a working musician, but do play at 5 shows a year with guitar and hoping to do those shows as a stick player now. That is why I need enough power to hear myself onstage and need a line out.

Thanks for any advise!
Jeff

Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:26 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: suggestions needed for battery powered speakers or amps
Anyone tried the Yamaha THR battery powered amps?
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Acoustic-Amplifier-Production-Software/dp/B009NNZOEW
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jsZsKP_pMM[/youtube]

I think that I'll pick one up for Christmas.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K12Mi0TmPY[/youtube]

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Last edited by WerkSpace on Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:43 pm

I use a Roland Street Cube - not the EX model. I have a
PAS4 pickup. A pre-amp is needed to boost the signal - otherwise it sounds anemic. I use a K&K Dual Pro ST 2 Channel preamp when "traveling" light (uses a 9 volt battery). I plug the "bass" side into the guitar effects side and the melody side into the microphone side setting that to "instrument" - cause I like the way it sounds "reversed". the key is the preamp to get a beefy sound. (stereo-stereo cable into the preamp then 2 - 1/4" plug cables from the preamp outs to the amp). I don't know if the EX model has a preamp. I use the same preamp on a Roland BA 330 to the same effect - but have not taken that one on the street.

deep red railboard grand

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:17 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

the Phil Jones Double Four seems to sound really good (based on the Youtube videos I've been watching about this amp). It can run on a special battery (not included).

It's about $580 with the battery, at least in the States. I'm saving up. My whole band runs on batteries.

BTW I've got a Cube Street Ex, which I think sounds great when the bass side is plugged into the modeling input (I use the acoustic setting). Our band is low volume so it works well (I do avoid the lowest notes). I've got an older Cube Street, but it's awaiting repairs at the moment. I have a microcube for my treble side too. I like the COSM amp modeling a lot.

R

Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:14 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

If you already have a small amp you like, consider getting an inverter to power it rather than buying another amp.

I bought one of these prior to the Stick Camp, it does a good job powering my SR Jam amp.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
If you already have a small amp you like, consider getting an inverter to power it rather than buying another amp.

I bought one of these prior to the Stick Camp, it does a good job powering my SR Jam amp.

Greg,
Do you use a 12 volt car battery to power the inverter?

Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Acoustic- ... B009NNZOEW

I am not sure what the above video has to do with the Yamaha THR amps(?) I tried to watch
as much as I could and maybe I saw one of the amps in the background. So the video
is about the "Silent Guitar", cool, but as far as "battery powered amps" I have tried the THR's
and they are the best small battery powered amps you can get as far as sound, hands
down chimpanzee's doing back flips good :roll:. The down side is that they are small
and for the Stick you need a Y splitter cable. Also you can use them as a head to power
a larger amp using the stereo output jack :idea:...

Whatever you do don't buy the 'Mackie Freeplay', Sorry, I tried one out and it is the worst portable amp I have ever used :evil:.

The Roland BA-330's are a good battery powered amp that can handle the bass
up to a certain level; coffee house, busking, ect, but not band level. For the Stick you can plug
straight into this amp and the sound is adequate but for the discerning ear I think a
Step-About and some outboard quality effects can put the BA into the "pretty darn
good for the money" category 8-).

Best of luck and let us know what you choose.

jRj
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:32 pm

Wow, where to begin…

I have not tried a Yamaha THR.

When I checked out the street cube ex I only used both bass and melody together in guitar effects channel, and then tried the bass in the mic/instrument channel and melody in the guitar effects. I did not try the bass side in the effects channel and the melody in another channel. So maybe I need to revisit the cube. Like I said before, it had a very decent sound when both pickups were running into the effects channel. The only other issue was the reverb had to be cranked to max to really give any effect. I did not notice any problems with hitting low notes at all with the cube ex.

I gotta check out the BA 330. It is now on my list!

Had never even heard of a phil jones double four!

I do not have an amp so to speak that I would use on a stage. I have my main fender guitar amp for guitar on stage, a fender mustang 4 for practice and then my full carvin 1000w pa with 3way 15’s. So currently I am practicing my stick on the pa system or down way low on the mustang.

When I showed the stick off at our last show of the season I used the mustang for melody and then ran the bass side thru the bass player amp. I could just buy a bass amp for the bass side, but would love to find something easy and portable. If I got something like a pa speaker that ran on battery power I could have several options. I could play the stick alone thru it, use it for the base side and add my amp for melody. I love the clean, little bit of reverb sound of the stick… this coming from the 80’s rocker who always played the hard rock music. I must be getting old! And to add to that old part… I don’t wanna drag a 3way 15in speaker, power amp and mixer with me everyplace… but I could if I needed.

The shows that I do are outside, but under a huge pavilion with a huge stage. The stage is totally enclosed on back and sides, and covered. It has an in house pa, so all I need to do is hear myself onstage. I can also put an amp such as the cube ex or pa speaker on a tripod stand and have it close to be heard. I won’t be moving around a lot on stage with the stick… and I actually don’t much when playing the guitar… pedal board sort of traps me to one spot! LOL

So that might give you a little more in site to what I’m looking for and why I’m looking for it.

I sure do appreciate all the input and help. I know that everyone has their own ear on what sounds good and individual needs, but ideas from others with a wealth of information can be such a big help. Many of you are gigging musicians and have tried a bunch of gear. So that helps so much hearing your input. I’m only two months into this instrument, but trying to get set up soon for next summer gigs.

Jeff

Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:14 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

greg wrote:

Hi Greg. Did your inverter run on fuel? Or did it hold a charge of some kind.

Mike

Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I went back and edited the video entry.
This is a great little battery powered amp.
I you don't want to patch both signals into one, buy two, they're small. 8-)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K12Mi0TmPY[/youtube]
JRJ wrote:
Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Acoustic- ... B009NNZOEW
I am not sure what the above video has to do with the Yamaha THR amps(?) I tried to watch
as much as I could and maybe I saw one of the amps in the background.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:36 am